Question about pelvic anchors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about pelvic anchors

For those of you that have pelvic anchors, did you have pain in those areas immediately after surgery? I have had pain on 1 side, ever since the surgery. I started PT 2 weeks ago, and the pain increased, and now it started on the other side, where previously, I had no pain. Is this all normal and to be expected?
    Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
    T54/L72
    Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
    Gained 2 inches!
    Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
    12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
    Lost 2", gained PJK!

Yes, I did....but it's slowly gotten better...I'm at 1 1/2 years and its very minimal any more, hardly think about it...but its taken a LOOONG time to get better.

Nitram

Originally posted by Lorz View Post
    For those of you that have pelvic anchors, did you have pain in those areas immediately after surgery? I have had pain on 1 side, ever since the surgery. I started PT 2 weeks ago, and the pain increased, and now it started on the other side, where previously, I had no pain. Is this all normal and to be expected?
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
    A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
    Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
    Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Lori

Mine ached for months...I took many hot baths, 5 per day for 3 months to be exact. I had set a few gas bill records during those days....

Things should settle down in a few months...

You might want to stop the PT and just take it slow......do many short walks without pushing yourself into pain. Recovery is like a see-saw, good days and bad days usually after exerting yourself with a test. The good thing is that as time passes, there are more good days than bad.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I do not have pain where my bolt it. A few times, it's gotten a little achy, but it's never been bad enough to even take anything for.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Lori,

I first noticed pain over my pelvic screws at about 8 weeks post-op. I noticed it, at that time, when I tried to increase my walking distance during a single walk. Later, I noticed aching/pain at the pelvic screw and sacral area when I started PT. I started PT at 6.5 months post-op in a warm water pool. Each time after PT, my sacrum and pelvic screw area would get sore and I would delay having another PT session until they felt better.

For me, it’s been a “2 steps forward, 1 step back” process. When I increase my activity level, I notice the screw ache/pain and back off and proceed more slowly. It’s been a little frustrating at times, but my recovery has been smooth in every other way so I can’t complain too much.

Those little screwhead spots are so sensitive that I feel them even when the water from the shower hits them. I also notice the sensitivity when I just run my hand lightly over the area.

I’m hoping that like Nitram and TiEd the sensitivity reduces over time. I would agree with TiEd that you might want to hold off on PT for a while. You are still very early in the healing process.
          Kathy
          46 yrs at surgery, now 50
          71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
          8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
          http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Hi Lori, I have had pain with the anchor on the one side on and off since my surgery. Activity sometimes makes it worse, although it can be achey when I first get up in the morning or if I've been sitting too long. I saw my Dr. this week and we debated doing another injection and then just decided to have it removed. The pain mgmt. doc who did my injection said it seems that one is in a little further and it could just be the way it's positioned that causes the problem. Anyway, although I'm certainly not thrilled with doing another surgery, Dr. Lonner said it should take about an hour and I go home the same day. So it's coming out on Sept. 7. I have a lot of tenderness in that whole area (some of which is muscle/soft tissue) and he didn't guarantee all of that pain would disappear, but based on my symptoms, he thought it was worth doing the screw removal. You're still in early months of recovery and yours may resolve itself without having to do anything else. I think it's a fairly common complaint. Good luck with your healing!

Anne in PA
            Age 58
            Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
            T4 to sacrum fusion
            63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
            Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I will back off with the PT for now. Anne, good luck with your surgery. As you said, at least it is same day surgery, nothing like the first. Does Dr. Lonner feel your fusion is solid, and the anchor can come out now? It's good to know that is an option. I sure can relate to the one step forward, two steps back feeling.
              Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
              T54/L72
              Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
              Gained 2 inches!
              Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
              12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
              Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Dr. Lonner thought things were stable enough to remove the screw. I had CT scan done at about 4 months post op because my hardware was not completed and although I understand it's difficult to truly identify fusion in adults, he thought he saw evidence of that on the CT scan. Things have been pretty stable on all my X rays ever since so removing the screw should not impact fusion.

Anne in PA
                Age 58
                T4 to sacrum fusion
                Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10

Comment

Good luck with the surgery, Anne. Please let us know how you do.
                  Kathy
                  46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                  71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                  8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                  http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Good luck Anne. I hope the removal gives you the relief you deserve and an end to your surgery story.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Anne, I hope all goes well for you. How much school will you be missing?

Melissa
                      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. Should only miss 3 days of school plus a weekend. From what I understand, this is pretty minimal.

Anne in PA
                        Age 58
                        T4 to sacrum fusion
                        Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10

Comment

Wow, Anne, that is amazing. Best wishes for the relief you so much deserve!
                          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                          X