Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MRI's cause electrical current in implants ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRI's cause electrical current in implants ?

I had an MRI recently and was told by the imaging tech that they can only do a low dose MRI due to the implants getting to hot, and that they won't do one of the full implant because of the connectors in the implants at the top and at the bottom create a "current" that can cause damage. I was surprised to hear this because I had already had MRI's of the thorasic before where my implants are, and yes one of them created alot of pain afterwards. But I never knew that could be why. The tech also said that many imaging places are not aware of this current that can be created because of the implants connectors. Anyone heard of this ???

Originally posted by leannebr View Post
    I had an MRI recently and was told by the imaging tech that they can only do a low dose MRI due to the implants getting to hot, and that they won't do one of the full implant because of the connectors in the implants at the top and at the bottom create a "current" that can cause damage. I was surprised to hear this because I had already had MRI's of the thorasic before where my implants are, and yes one of them created alot of pain afterwards. But I never knew that could be why. The tech also said that many imaging places are not aware of this current that can be created because of the implants connectors. Anyone heard of this ???
    If this is true, and I sort of doubt it is, the word hasn't reached up to the university level yet. If you ever get the opportunity, I'd ask the tech to give you a citation regarding the issue.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I probably wont ever see this tech again, she was at a hospital. She said she needed to use a different MRI imaging machine for me with lower energy or magnetic field or something. She said a number, like 240 maybe (?) She took me upstairs to a different location for my MRI than others were taken. She was the only one there..I didnt even see anyone else like a radialogist or anyone in the other room over seeing it. Very different than all other MRIs I have had. Different sounding machine, not the usual bingbang noises. Old machine too..
      I am not sure what she said was legitamate. Guess I just believed her because I didnt know anything about it.
      It was done at United Hospital in St Paul MN.

Comment

I had an MRI just after my surgery at HSS, and was really concerned for the same reason. I asked several times about safety, and was assured it was perfectly safe. When they started the machine, and I heard the first bang, I thought my heart would stop, but it was ok.
        Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
        T54/L72
        Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
        Gained 2 inches!
        Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
        12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
        Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

I looked through the list that hdugger provided. Of the spinal implants in use for scoliosis, most were safe. Of the few that were conditional, it appears that, at worst, the implants will warm up if older MRIs are used.

There have to be many thousands of us who have had MRIs after placement of our implants, and I've never heard of anyone being injured from it.

Leanne... if it was an older machine with no banging, I wonder if it was actually a CT. As far as I know, all MRIs are loud.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

It was an older machine, I could tell from the way it looked. Not at all like the new ones. The noises were loud, but different sounding noises than with the newer ones.

Maybe this was something this particular technician believed about MRI's with metal implants that connect at the top and the bottom. Maybe it was not legitimate information that she shared with me.

Comment

Working...
            X