problems standing and walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems standing and walking

I am asking a different version of the same question I asked before in the hopes of getting some additional interesting answers. I thank all those who have answered me so far. I know earlier I read about someone who couldn't stand before surgery. I wanted to read that article again, but couldn't find it. As I mentioned earlier I have a 60 degree thoracolumbar curve and have troubles standing (I can stand, but it brings me a lot of pain afterwards) and I can't walk normal distances (I can walk, but not distances). I am interested in hearing from people with similar pre-surgery problems to hear if surgery alleviated their problems as the only reason I am considering surgery is if I could stand and walk normally again. Thanks in advance.
    Lisa
    60 degree thorocolumbar curve beginning at T12
    58 years old

Standing was a problem for me pre-op. Walking was ok, even distances. But I'd join a queue and 30 seconds later, I'd be looking for something to lean on. (Not that leaning helped much.)

Post surgery, I have no pain, can stand and walk as long as I want. Osteotomies and laminectomies were performed (not sure how many though.)
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by lisazena View Post
      I am asking a different version of the same question I asked before in the hopes of getting some additional interesting answers. I thank all those who have answered me so far. I know earlier I read about someone who couldn't stand before surgery. I wanted to read that article again, but couldn't find it. As I mentioned earlier I have a 60 degree thoracolumbar curve and have troubles standing (I can stand, but it brings me a lot of pain afterwards) and I can't walk normal distances (I can walk, but not distances). I am interested in hearing from people with similar pre-surgery problems to hear if surgery alleviated their problems as the only reason I am considering surgery is if I could stand and walk normally again. Thanks in advance.
      Lisa
      Lisa...

Do you have leg pain, back pain, or both? In general, doctors can usually relieve leg pain. Surgery isn't quite as effective against back pain.

I had both leg pain and back pain. The surgery I had in January relieved both types of pain.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Jennifer's experience sounds very much like mine. Nothing was worse than standing at kitchen counter cutting vegetables, fruit or preparing something. I still could walk and did a lot and usually was OK when I did it for exercise. Stop and start walking (shopping) was awful. I can stand now pretty easily and only occasionally have hip soreness when walking. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Lisa,
          I could barely stand or walk for five minutes leading up to my surgery. It was mostly sciatic pain that was so debilitating for me. I had back pain for many years which didn't stop me from doing anything I wanted to do. Since my surgery, even though I still have some leg pain, it doesn't prevent me from doing most things. I can stand in the kitchen to prepare food. Washing dishes is hard because I have to bend over the sink and vacuuming is difficult, so I do a little each day. I can walk at least a mile and probably could walk a lot more, but my knees and ankles cause me pain. Anyway, I am way older than most on this forum and would definitely chose the surgery if I had it to do again.
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Sciatic and leg and foot pain

Thanks Sally, Jennifer, Linda and Janet. That's helpful and good to see. Sally, I'm not young either. I will be 58 in less than two weeks, but am otherwise in good health.

Linda, my problem is leg and foot pain--seems sciatic in origin as the problem began 6 years ago with sciatic pain and now I still have some discomfort in my butt.

I saw one surgeon so far--Lonner--and he wanted me to investigate my leg problems to make sure it was from the scoliosis. I have a left thorocolumbar curve and my primary problem is my right foot and leg. Pain directly relates to activity and the neurologist found that though I have feeling in my right foot, the sensation for cold was markedly more intense lower down on my right foot and leg. This made him think that probably the scoliosis impedes the circulation to the spinal nerves that go to my feet. The only way to test is with a CT myelogram, which he only thought I should do if I'm ready for surgery. I've been trying Lyrica and am about to say this isn't cutting it and am getting ready to try the myelogram, but every time I try something it sets back my activity level, which is low now. I'm in the middle of a potential job change so want to wait to do anything till things settle.

I did try one epidural and it didn't seem to do anything. I know I could try more. I am poised to ask the neurologist if he thinks it would be helpful. And I want to ask Lonner what he thought about the neurologist's report. Again, I don't even want to try the epidural until things settle.

I really appreciate everybody's thoughts.
            Lisa
            60 degree thorocolumbar curve beginning at T12
            58 years old

Comment

Working...
            X