Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiencing Numbness

Hi Everyone,

The past few days I've been feeling "pins/needles" in my right foot and today, my right calf and right foot now have that feeling. Anyone else experience this?

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

The past few days I've been feeling "pins/needles" in my right foot and today, my right calf and right foot now have that feeling. Anyone else experience this?

Warmly,
    Doreen
    Prior to my surgery I experienced many of those symptoms. For me it was higher up, mainly in my left quad. I had my surger two years ago and for the most part I am free of sciatica nerve pain. Lots of other pain to contend with....while I still have issues that I am fighting with I do not regret my surgery as it got rid of all that pain! I did chiropractic care for an entire year, 4-5 days per week right up untl the day before my surgery. It made a huge difference, I would not have been able to function at all had it not been for the chiropractic care. I was very fortunate to have a great chiropractor who was very agressive in my treatment. Have you had surgery or awaiting surgery? Also, have you had any chiropractic care? I am having a tough time right now with my neck/atlas and was awake almost all night with numbness and tingling in my left arm so I can appreciate what your feeling! Hang in there and I hope you find some relief soon! Good luck.
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

pins and needles means nerves are involved...at least, that is what doctors and surgeons tell me..
      they also tell me when nerves are involved, injections often work VERY well to address the symptoms....shots are well suited to problems stemming from nerves, as opposed to structural problems, like the actual curves themselves....

jess

Comment

Hi Doreen, "Pins and needles" and nerve sensations are very common for people with scoliosis from compression of the curve. Mine were in the lower part of my left leg and into the top of my foot. My curve is to the left and I had put more weight on that side of my body for so many years. I actually had a nerve release surgery done on my peroneal nerve about a year before my surgery which helped a little. Anyway, all of my nerve issues pretty much disappeared after surgery.

Anne in PA
        Age 58
        Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
        T4 to sacrum fusion
        63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
        Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
        Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Originally posted by ADMoul View Post
          Hi Doreen, "Pins and needles" and nerve sensations are very common for people with scoliosis from compression of the curve. Mine were in the lower part of my left leg and into the top of my foot. My curve is to the left and I had put more weight on that side of my body for so many years. I actually had a nerve release surgery done on my peroneal nerve about a year before my surgery which helped a little. Anyway, all of my nerve issues pretty much disappeared after surgery.
          Anne,

Can you explain the nerve release surgery a little more? I've never heard of anything like that before....always something new! Glad your balanced and happy :O)
          Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
          50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
          Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
          X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
          Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
          Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
          Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

It was sort of like carpal tunnel except they did a little incision at the side of my knee and one across the top of my foot and I think they released the sheath around the nerves. Apparently the peroneal nerve can become entrapped just like carpal tunnel syndrome in your wrist. It was a relatively minor procedure actually done by a podiatrist. It helped somewhat but the biggest relief came from the scoli surgery.

Anne in PA
            Age 58
            Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
            T4 to sacrum fusion
            63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
            Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
            X