Rotating Curves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotating Curves

I know that there is surgery for rib humps, but do they do surgery to fix the side of your chest that caves in, as well? Or a shoulder that lies in a rolled-forward position with the shoulder blade sticking out?

My surgery took away much of the hump on the lower left side of my back. But I wonder if I just don't see it because I can't bend my back. Bending forward was when it was really noticeable before the fusion.

Also wondering if any of you see a difference in any of those areas from your spinal fusions.

I'm not considering having surgery, because I've accepted the way I am and I'm fine with it. Just curious, I guess. : )
    Last edited by braceyourself; 07-31-2011, 10:30 PM.
    Katie

My blog: http://scoliosis-braceyourself.blogspot.com/
    My video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG9hMohsU0

5 Boston back braces
    Spinal fusion- Nov. 17, 2009, senior year of high school
    52 and 57 degrees pre-surgery, 22 and 20 degrees post-surgery
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Shriners Children's Hospital, Chicago
    Back into volleyball and music as a senior in college!

I have the shoulder blade problem, my physical therapist is giving me excersises that he thinks will help, he says essentially the problem is the muscles are too elongated on one side and too short on the other, so with the excersises it should help in stregthening the weaker longer muscles and lengthen the shorter muscles to give a more uniform appearance.
    Pre-surgery 5/27/11
    Thoracic 48
    Lumbar 31
    Boston Brace from 1992-93
    Post surgery
    Thoracic less than 10
    Lumbar 0

Comment

Carol--
      I would be interested in the type of exercise you have for this & if it helps. I have my right shoulder which rolls in and a sticking out shoulder blade and rib hump on that side. The exercises I've done don't seem to change anything. Hope it works for you. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I didn't even think about it being a muscle issue. I only assumed that because I have a hump right there, maybe it was pushing my shoulder blade out.

This past semester my piano teacher told me that after my piano exam, two of my judges were having a pretty exciting discussion about it. One didn't know about my scoliosis/fusion, and she commented on my tension and stiffness. She also mentioned that my shoulder (the one she could see) was rolled forward a lot. But apparently I had someone to defend my position, because my other judge actually had the same surgery herself. I thought that was really funny. It does seem a little bit harder (not much, though) to be totally relaxed while I play now, but mostly if the bench isn't adjustable.

I'm actually going to meet with that piano judge this semester. I guess she's been studying in different countries about the shoulders, arms, back, and hands-- basically the physical part of playing the piano. She said she has some shoulder/arm stretches that would help, so we'll see what comes of that. Stretching sure would be a nice way to fix that problem. : )
        Katie

My blog: http://scoliosis-braceyourself.blogspot.com/
        My video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG9hMohsU0

5 Boston back braces
        Spinal fusion- Nov. 17, 2009, senior year of high school
        52 and 57 degrees pre-surgery, 22 and 20 degrees post-surgery
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Shriners Children's Hospital, Chicago
        Back into volleyball and music as a senior in college!

Comment

Working...
        X