Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally a place where people understand...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally a place where people understand...

Hello, my name is Jeanna and I am 30 years old. I was diagnosed with Scheurman's disease as an adolescent. I have also developed scoliosis over the years as a result of the sheurman's. Back pain has been an every day normal thing for me in my life. However, since having my third child the pain has become unbearable! Everyday normal activities are so hard. My children want me to pick them up and carry them around and I can't. I feel like because I look like an ordinary person, besides having a curve in my back, people think I am making the pain up. I have these things that I call attacks because that is exactly what they feel like. When it happens, there is a pain in my upper back that wraps around my chest and feels like someone is sitting on my chest. It hurts to breathe and I am incapacitated when this happens. My doctors want me to have surgery. However, with very little income, 3 small children, and no insurance this seems impossible! I welcome any and all responses, I am so happy to have found people who understand the pain!

Hi Jeanna,

Welcome to the forum! I felt exactly the same thing when I first came across it too! FINALLY people who understand =)

Sounds like you're in a very tough situation...constant, debilitating pain is so difficult. I can't imagine having to take care of 3 kids on top of it all! I hope you'll be able to find some relief soon.

Blessings,
    Rebecca
    Rebecca
    Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
    wore night bending brace as teenager
    Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
    herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
    fusion L2-3 November 2008
    Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
    Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
    Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
    gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
    Before and After X-rays
    My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Welcome Jeanna. Sorry you find yourself in a position to be here though. It sounds as though a good scoliosis surgeon could change your life, but as I am in Australia, I can't give you any advice on the financial side of the surgery.

I am hoping there are ways and means but if anybody knows, the folk on here will try to help.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Jeanna and welcome to the forum. I don't have scoliosis but my son does and I found this site to be incredibly helpful and they have guided me through every step of getting my son the help he needed and so quickly too. I do hope they can do the same for you and that you get on the right path to better health so you can enjoy your life with your three kids.
        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Hi Jeanna...

I used to have a similar pain issue, and thankfully it went away on its own. I'm not sure why, but I always thought it might be a spasm of the diaphram.

I hope you figure out a way to get insured, so that you can get treatment.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you guys!

Thank you guys so much for the responses! I was so shocked to see that anyone had responded! I think this is going to be a great place to get some support! I will be getting some xrays soon to see the exact degrees to which my curves are! I think that I will be able to get some kind of medicaid spindown when it comes to actually having my surgery! I am also very nervous because of all the different outcomes of peoples surgeries! I live in Arkansas so if anyone has any names of really awesome surgeons I would greatly appreciate the advice! Again, thank everyone so much for the support!

Comment

Jeanna--
              I don't know where you are in Arkansas, but you can't be that far from St. Louis. When it comes to this kind of surgery you want the best. Check out Dr. Lenke at Washington University. See what you find out. Good luck as you begin this journey.
              Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thank you so much Janet for your referral! When I find out anymore information I will certainly let everyone know on here how I'm doing and what I have found out! Thank you for the input! So grateful!

Comment

Jeanna

Having surgery without insurance is not impossible....We have seen it happen here. Pilar had no insurance and she really needed her surgery. Dr Pashman did it in LA.

There are programs.
                  Welcome
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258