Swelling around incision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swelling around incision

I was just wondering how long it took for most of you for the swelling around the incision to go away? I am almost 6 weeks post-op, and still have a considerable amount. The incision has been healed for a while.
    Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
    T54/L72
    Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
    Gained 2 inches!
    Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
    12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
    Lost 2", gained PJK!

Lori,

I think it took about 4 months for all of my swelling to get resolved. I had a lot of abdominal swelling/fluid retention. I think the swelling in my back resolved gradually also in a "top down" manner.

The reduction of numbness in my back has been an even more gradual process. I am no longer numb on my right side and have only a 1 inch by 3 inch square of numbness on my left side.
    Kathy
    46 yrs at surgery, now 50
    71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
    8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Thanks! That makes me feel what I am experiencing is normal, and just takes time to resolve.
      Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
      T54/L72
      Gained 2 inches!
      Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
      Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Lorz, does it hurt, itch or give you a burning feeling?

Those would be signs of infections from the internal stiching although I'm sure you'd noticed if that was the case. It happed to me 3 weeks after surgery.

As for the numbness, it took months to completely fade away. Even now, 11 months gone, there's still one small zone on my lower back with a "different" sensation (not easy to explain)

Comment

Originally posted by tata View Post
          Lorz, does it hurt, itch or give you a burning feeling?

Those would be signs of infections from the internal stiching although I'm sure you'd noticed if that was the case. It happed to me 3 weeks after surgery.

As for the numbness, it took months to completely fade away. Even now, 11 months gone, there's still one small zone on my lower back with a "different" sensation (not easy to explain)
          No, it doesn't especially hurt, itch or burn. It is just annoying. It feels heavy and tight. Sorry that happened to you, and I hope everything is ok now.
          Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
          T54/L72
          Gained 2 inches!
          Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
          Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes. It was all under control after a few days. It's been 11 months now since surgery and I'm feeling quite ok. Hope you recover fast too!

Comment

Working...
            X