Returning to Favorite Activities-6 1/2 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning to Favorite Activities-6 1/2 months

Today was my first day back to my tap dancing class and I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face. Although I didn't twist and also faked the hopping steps, it felt wonderful to be back. The instructor reviewed lots of routines from 7 months ago (pre-surgery) and we also learned a new routine. Memorizing the sequence of steps is sure good for the old brain!
    Although there will be no full swings in golf for another 6 months, I've started chipping and putting which is another step in getting my life back to normal activities and friends.
    I don't know what I would do without the YMCA. I started water aerobics classes last week and also have walked the indoor track when we have 100 degree days.
    I don't want to jinx myself and I still worry every day about total fusion at a year, but I am extremely happy with my surgery results and the smooth recovery (so far). It was a tough decision to have surgery, but I have not regretted it.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

You amaze me G-nut!!! Very impressive.

Shari

Comment

It's a wonderful feeling, isn't it? Congratulations!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Good Lord, girl!!. . .you're amazing!!!

I didn't know you did tap. . .it always looked like fun. . .reading this post, I wonder if I might like it. Have you been doing it long? Sadly, "klutz" is my middle name. I tried aerobics years ago, but everyone else would go left, and I'd go right. . .I was a danger to myself and those around me!

Our heat has been terrible in northern IL, and I know that you have it worse. I had planned to visit my aunt in Belleville (she's at Our Lady of the Snows senior apartments) before this month was out, but I think I'll wait until the heat breaks a bit. Heat indexes over 100* are just too much!!
        Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
        Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
        Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Karen--
          You are just amazing. I love your great positive posts. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Karen, You are amazing!!

It is a difficult decision but one that is life-changing for the better.

Keep enjoying!!

Irene

Comment

Thanks for your replies. First of all,thank you to those who said it, but I'm not really amazing and don't mean to be boastful. I just think life is waaaaaaay better than I expected at this point post surgery and I feel the need to tell others who are waiting for surgery. I know it's not the same for everyone and that there are many factors (maybe even some luck) that determine whether your recovery is a smooth one or not. I feel extremely fortunate and know that I still need to be conservative in what I do and I'm still a worrier, but that's just my nature. I am just happy to be doing my favorite things, even if it's in moderation.
              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Karen,
                We certainly don't see you as boastful, just inspirational! At approx 5 1/2 weeks post -op, I took my first outing to Sam's Club yesterday, and had to ride the motorized cart. I lasted about an hour, as sitting still isn't comfortable. I have been feeling very down, and your post has lifted my spirits again. I really am glad to hear you are doing so well. Congrats, and enjoy life!
                Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                T54/L72
                Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                Gained 2 inches!
                Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

FAR FROM boastful!!

What I can "feel" in your post is JOY!!! And, after such a surgery, and making it through those first weeks/months, joy is exactly what we all hope for!

Stay cool!!
                  Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                  Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                  Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

mgs: Tap dancing is a lot of fun and good exercise for the body and the brain. If you have rhythm, you can learn to tap. It takes some coordination, but once you learn the basic steps you just have to memorize the sequence and some variations. Our group performs at nursing homes, Mother's Day Teas, variety shows, etc.

Lori: Don't get discouraged. You will feel a little better each week. I had to get off of the pain meds before I felt decent. I would definitely recommend walking instead of the motorized cart when you shop the next time, even if you have to take breaks. I think sitting is uncomfortable for most of us for a long time. I still put a pillow behind my back when I drive. This may seem goofy, but before my surgery I knew that I would have some down days during recovery. I printed out some quotes from David Wolpert's book that I thought would remind me to stay positive and patient. I posted them on the closet door to read every day.
                    Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

You sound great at 6-1/2 months. Good for you. Keep on keeping on!
                      Laurie
                      Age 57
                      Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
                      Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
                      Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
                      Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
                      Dr Munish Gupta
                      UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Yeah! I'm so happy for you, Karen! The next 5-6 months will go by quickly for you, I predict! Before you know it, you'll be cleared to swing (your clubs and your hips)!
                        Kathy
                        46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                        71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                        8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                        http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Hi Karen- I haven't logged into the Forum for months (busy getting ready for my daughter's wedding in Dec and my son just left his NY job because he got accepted to MBA school at the Univ of Chicago so he is at home in Indy for a few weeks) until I got a PM tonight and wanted to respond. I just read your post about back to tap dancing; that's great that you're back at it. It's great that you're doing so well. I am continuing on track also. Still just chipping and putting and mostly indoor putting because it's been in the 90's and 100's here. Dr Bridwell's PT person faxed me some exercises I could start doing on machines at 9 months so I joined a gym nearby and armed withmy fax, I started out with a trainer so I could do the appropriate machines in the correct way and can now work out my arms and legs other than just walking and a few arm weights. So I really enjoy the gym now. I go back Aug 29th for my one year checkup. Can't believe it's been nearly a year!
                          Age 56
                          Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                          Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                          Thoracic 68
                          Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                          Dr Bridwell St Louis
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Hi, Lisa,
                            It sounds like you've been really busy with your daughter and son. I'm sure Dr. Bridwell will give you the okay to take a full swing after your year appointment. You'll have nicer weather this fall to play golf. Is Janet Dr. Bridwell's PT? I was surprised that she told me I could return to tap (no twisting or hopping) since she has been really conservative on everything else. I read about people starting PT at 5 weeks on the forum, but Dr. Lenke and Janet don't encourage it at all as long as I walk, use the pool, and do my minimal exercises that she gave me for home. I was allowed to add "Dead Bugs" and "Step Ups" which I read about on the forum. I will have to ask Janet (or you) to possibly fax me the list of exercises for machines when I'm 9 months post op. I'm sure you're looking forward to your 1st anniversary on the 31st.
                            Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Yes, Janet is Dr Bridwell's PT person. She told me about a woman who had surgery with Dr Bridwell and after about 6 or 9 months they read in the paper that she won the Missouri women's senior open or title or something and apparently Dr Bridwell wasn't very happy about that, as you cn imagine since he says no golf for a year!
                              Age 56
                              Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                              Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                              Thoracic 68
                              Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                              Dr Bridwell St Louis
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Working...
                              X