PDA

View Full Version : Airport Security Bells & more bells

jChris
07-15-2011, 06:15 PM
I traveled via air for the first time since my surgery. I set off the alarms at the Austin and San Jose airports.

The San Jose airport has scanners. They told me that I need to tell them about my medal before going through screening so they can send me through the scanner and avoid a pat down.

You may prefer the pat down to avoid more radiation which we all encounter so much with our backs.

I just want to let you know that you may set off a pat down, some of us do and some do not. I had the lucky draw, plus I have much fusion.

titaniumed
07-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Chris

Thx for the heads up, I will have to fly through San Jose from now on...Iíve been waiting for some fun at the airport! LOL For the prices they charge, they should just give us massages instead of the pat down!

Seriously, how are you doing? Things have to be getting better now that some time has passed....

How is the back? How is the neck?
Ed

jChris
07-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Hey Ed,

Good to hear from you. The back and neck are coming along. I still have quite a bit of stiffness and soreness. My range of motion in the neck is poor, but the pain is gone. I wish my back pain levels were a bit lower, but I am making progress and I am certainly much better than I was prior to the surgery.

I carry my foam pad with me everywhere I travel. I am grateful I can travel again as well.

Hope you are doing well. I agree a massage would be preferable to the pat down! Too funny!

Take care.

Chris

mabeckoff
07-16-2011, 05:04 PM
I have traveled several times since my first surgery last May and sometimes it set it off and other times I do not. I was told by TSA that cards do not mean anything as anyone could get one

Melissa

titaniumed
07-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Chris

Donít worry, things do get better and better as time passes. It took me about 2 full years.

I can actually sleep for long stretches now which is a huge relief.....Sleeping like a cat is not easy and it seems that when we do this in our recoveries, it prolongs the healing process, and fatigue re-occurs quickly. If I could sleep 9 hours right after my surgeries, I probably would have healed much faster.

Exercise and stretching are things that we have to push through gently. Range of motion, and stretching are beneficial, but it has to be done slowly......

Its funny how when we are having fun, that we forget all about our scoliosis......Diverting the mind is of value. I have found this to be so true. Once the diversion stops, I will relax and realize that something hurts, and all along has been hurting, but I didnít realize it.

They probably have Melissa up by now.....poor thing is in a world of hurt.
Prayers are needed for her, she has had it pretty rough.

Ed