Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long before work activities can begin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long before work activities can begin?

With my surgery 5-6 weeks away, I am reading through all the posts by the others who have recently had the surgery.

I have told my manager about the surgery and have told him I am not sure how long before I can get back to work. I can do a lot of my tasks from home and telecommute two days a week right now.

Is it realistic, if everything goes well, I might be able to do a couple hours of work a day starting in week three or four after the surgery? By work I mean email, conference calls, etc..

Also, what is realistic for travel (via airlines)? I thought I might be able to ship clothes instead of dealing with a suitcase.

Thanks for whatever advise you all can give!
    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
    Before and after xrays:
    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

I worked an hour or two a couple of days a week within 3-4 weeks. The big issue will be whether or not you can sit for any length of time.

You should be able to travel once your sitting tolerance is long enough, and as long as you have someone to lift the boxes of clothes you plan to send.

Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was still on oxy a month post-op. I returned to work (I have a desk job) four months post-op - I returned starting part time last week. I work 2 days from home and 1 day in the office, and it completely kick my butt. I slept most of Friday and Sat, in addition to sleeping 13 hrs after the day in the office, and a 2 hr nap on one of the days I telecommuted.

Also I showed off some impressive word salad during a conference call and lost my train of thought twice too, so I say if you can wait, wait.
      Female, age 38
      4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
      currently 64*upper/40*lower
      Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
      now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

I read emails and worked through the most urgent stuff from work 1 month after surgery, although sitting for a while was still and issue and so I did most of this lying on the bed.

I returned to work part-time after 4 months, once I already had a routine of swimming, stretching, walking and physical therapy (I run a lab on research on vegs) and even so, some days I needed to spend the evenings lying and stretching after work.

I'd say take it as it goes, don't set up deadlines as yet and just be prepared to build up your patiente, your capability of letting others help you (I found this one of the hardest) and your commitment to exercising every day. Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
        X