Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions from someone who's been trying to become a member for some time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions from someone who's been trying to become a member for some time.

Hopefully it's ok to post her email to me? She's been waiting on her application to be accepted for some time now and she's facing surgery as soon as August 11, one month from today. She asked me to post her email on the forum in the hope she can get some helpful comments.

"I don't know if I have done something wrong but I am still awaiting an email from the forum confirming my acceptance.
    I have pretty much given up getting an acceptance something must have gone amiss.
    I have an appointment with Dr Cree in Sydney this Fri when I plan to make a decision about surgery, tentatively booked for the 11th Aug.
    To refresh, I am 49 yrs old with a 54 deg thoracolumbar curve, it was 48 deg less than 2 yrs previously. In my teens it was supposedly, from memory, 1 deg below the need for a brace. My right hip has always stuck out more than my left. In the past yr I have increasingly noticed I am leaning to the left and my children and partner have noticed a deteriation in my back. I now have more of a kind of a ledge on my right hip. I don't have major pain, just feel out of balance when sitting, particuarly noticeable when driving I feel like I'm collapsing to the left a bit. I also get some pain at times in the right groin/hip I think is probably related.
    I am getting more and more anxious. Part of me just wants it done while I am otherwise well to hopefully feel what it is like to fell straight and stable and the other part is terrified of becoming disabled with pain and lack of mobility long term or permanently after surgery.
    I don't know what levels would be fused yet but I am assuming at least well into the lumbar. My X-ray shows some slippage of discs. Dr Cree suggested when that starts the spine just keeps tilting and gets to a tipping point.
    I am currently physically fit and my scoliosis does not limit me as I go about my day but I do think I tire a bit more easily when I have a physical day on my feet, and I do get very tight in the back...love a massage.
    You have kindly responded to a couple of other of my emails. I was wondering if you could post some questions on the forum on my behalf. I don't know if you can paste this email directly?
    Playing on my mind are a few questions, (and I don't know what response I will get from the Doc, probably an embarressed short answer i am unclear about)
    Firstly...what is sex like after a fusion to the lumber or sacrum?...I am worried about not being able to move my lower back and pelvis and how that will effect things and positions. No- one seems to talk about that, it seems to be the elephant in the room, or do I just have a dirty mind? If anyone want to email privately that would be fine too.
    Also, how do I persuade the Dr not to do a bone graft from the hip?, I have heard that is painful.
    Thanks Jennifer, I have been obsessively reading others comments on the forum and if I can get some of my questions up there it will be almost as good.
    Another thing I would love to do is see the photos...oh well."
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Hi Jennifer... Please ask her under what User ID she register.

Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

She's watching this thread like a hawk Linda and will be pleased to have made some progress. She just emailed me this for you:

Your Username is: progress
      Your Activation ID is: d5af1acac1bcd2354cd12c8c71ab5234c355e051

Thanks for your help!
      Jen

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
        She's watching this thread like a hawk Linda and will be pleased to have made some progress. She just emailed me this for you:

Your Username is: progress
        Your Activation ID is: d5af1acac1bcd2354cd12c8c71ab5234c355e051

Thanks for your help!
        Jen
        There is no user with the ID of progress. There's a progressli and a progressive, though neither of those users have joined recently. Progress, try again to register. If for some reason you can't register with that ID, try another one.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

This information is probably completely useless to you, but I had the hardest time joining this forum in June. It took several weeks, if not a month. I emailed both the NSF and the forum people, and finally I just thought I would never join. Eventually they emailed me back and got me on. Like I said, probably useless, but just thought I would mention it.
          Katie

My blog: http://scoliosis-braceyourself.blogspot.com/
          My video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG9hMohsU0

5 Boston back braces
          Spinal fusion- Nov. 17, 2009, senior year of high school
          52 and 57 degrees pre-surgery, 22 and 20 degrees post-surgery
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Shriners Children's Hospital, Chicago
          Back into volleyball and music as a senior in college!

Comment

Thank you Katie. Hopefully it will go through this time because her surgery is coming up rapidly and in her own words, she's become obsessed by it...as you do!

Jen

Comment

Working...
            X