Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just when you think something is safe to do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just when you think something is safe to do...

I know it's been a while since I've been on here. Kind of feel like I abandoned everyone. I've been doing great since my surgery and have been more active than ever. I can't believe that I have my one year follow-up coming on the 19th.

Now, for the reason for my post:

On the 4th of July, my family and I went down to a local carnival. It was great. My husband took my daughter on some rides and such. Since he went on most of the rides I decided I would take her on one. I choose the little choo choo train that I could probably power walk faster than. We sat in the last train car and it was going well. Not even one lap around, and our train car fell off the track and tilted us 45 degrees to the left. We quickly got off and everyone was fine. Later that night I began to feel pain in my right hip. I took some tylenol and thought maybe it was some muscle pain. Well, it still hurts and even more so now. The best way I can describe how it feels is that it feels like someone punched me in the back of my hip. It burns like crazy.

I'm contacting the ride company tomorrow and Dr. Vora. I'm just so upset and wanted to share this crazy story with you. I don't know what's going to happen at this point, but I'll update everyone when I know more.
    Tiffany K
    I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
    4'11", never braced
    Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
    T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

I hope it's nothing but a sore muscle, but it's a good thing you're checking it out. I'm so sorry it happened. What are the odds of a freak accident? I hope you're better by tomorrow.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

How unlucky that such a thing should occur. I'm with Karen and hope it's purely muscular (I'm sure it is) and just time and rest will fix things. You should be right to take anti-inflammatories now (check first) and if so, hopefully, that will take the worst of the pain out of it until it heals. Let us know what the doctor says.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Oh no! That is not fun! This is why I am so paranoid lol. I still keep my walker next to bed so I have something to steady myself when getting up in the middle of the night. anyway, sorry to hear about your spill! Hope you feel better soon, and its just a bruise.
        Rebecca
        Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
        wore night bending brace as teenager
        Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
        herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
        fusion L2-3 November 2008
        Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
        Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
        Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
        gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
        Before and After X-rays
        My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have good news! My pain is gone! Honestly, as bad and scary as it was to have pain again, it really made me appreciate the surgery that much more.

On a side note though now that the pain in my hip is gone it must have triggered some nerves to regenerate. My hip is soooo itchy! I'll deal with it if it means I'll get some feeling back again.
          Tiffany K
          I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
          4'11", never braced
          Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
          T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Comment

I've learned that it's wise for us to be concerned and cautious. We are all going to have accidents. I've tried it both ways. Don't do things out of fear...(not living) and doing some of the dumbest things...(just plain stupid). I guess we just have to find a happy medium!!!

Still living and learning,
            Shari

Comment

So glad you're okay!!!

I fell down a flight of marble steps two weeks ago and thought the world was ending. Luckily I had enough thought to lean OUT and let the junk in my trunk - and my elbow - take the brunt of the fall. Still, I'm super cautious with steps!
              Female, age 38
              4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
              currently 64*upper/40*lower
              Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
              now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Working...
              X