Question for Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Parents

Just wondering for those of us with severe, operable curves and children, have any of you had your kids x-rayed just to make sure they don't have scoli? My pediatrician doesn't see any signs of scoli in my children, but I'm wondering if I should take them to an ortho just preventatively and at what age? My oldest is 8 1/2.

Thanks!
    Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Hi Evelyn...

I personally wouldn't have my child x-rayed unless there was a good indication that s/he had scoliosis. If you bring your kids to a visit to Dr. Lenke with you, he would almost certainly be willing to screen them. However, it's pretty easy to do it yourself. Have them stand in front of, and facing away from you, wearing something like a swimsuit. With their arms at their sides, notice if there is more room between the arm and the waist on one side than there is on the other. Check to see if there head seems to be centered over their pelvis. Are the shoulder blades even? Have them bend forward, as if they were going to touch their toes, to see if there is any asymmetry.

If there's any indication that any of your kids might have scoliosis, your insurance company might pay for a ScoliScore test. That test might tell you whether or not the kids are likely to develop scoliosis, and if so, if the curves will ever progress to the point of needing treatment. You can ask Dr. Lenke about the test.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda,

Thanks so much for your answer and the advice about how to screen. We are all so fortunate to have you on this forum.

Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
      X