Surgery on Tuesday--boomergal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery on Tuesday--boomergal

Just a few more days to go. On Thursday I had my pre-op testing and bending x-rays, and I met with the internist who will be following me in the hospital and with Dr. Boachie. (I saw the HSS pulmonologist earlier in the month.) The fusion will be T2 to T12. Dr. Boachie said that the choice was either the selective thoracic fusion or a fusion down to L4. Because my lumbar curve is very flexible, he wants to preserve the lumbar vertebrae with the hopes that the curve will correct itself (however the rotation in the lumbar region will remain, even if the curve self-corrects). He will know within 6 to 12 months if the fusion needs to be extended. Somehow I had thought that if I needed an extension of the fusion it wouldn't be necessary for years. Although the idea of going through all this again is daunting, if an extension needs to be done I guess I would rather have it done sooner rather than later when I am older and less fit. (I say this now, but ask me again post-surgery and I may not feel the same way, haha.)

Another thing that is a little up in the air: if the instrumentation and de-rotation of the spine don't provide enough correction of my rib hump during surgery, Dr. Boachie will also perform a thoracoplasty. Even if he doesn't need to do the thoracoplasty he will obtain bone from the ribs for the bone graft so that he doesn't need to take bone from the hip, which he said can lead to long-term pain. I hope I am explaining this correctly and using the right terminology. Does using rib bone for the bone graft constitute a thoracoplasty? Or is that term just used for rib removal when it's done for cosmetic purposes?

Dr. Boachie said the surgery will be 3 to 4 hours. Wow! I think I'm getting off easy, it that's the case. I'll be in the hospital for 5 to 7 days if all goes well.
    I've arranged for a private-duty nurse's aide for the duration of my stay, but if I don't need the aide for the whole stay I can cancel. One thing I just learned is that if you have the same nurse for over a certain number of shifts (I can't remember what the limit is) you need to pay overtime. That makes sense--I don't know why I hadn't thought of that before. So, I'll just get a different aide, if it comes to that, because I don't want to pay time and a half.

I'm wondering how much the thoracoplasty increases pain and recovery time, and how it affects pulmonary function. I'm guessing that the incentive spirometer exercise is going to be painful. At least I'll avoid the bone graft from the hip.

Well, the big adventure starts Tuesday afternoon (Monday evening if you count the enema as part of the adventure). Many, many thanks to everyone on this forum for sharing your experiences, being supportive, and making me laugh with your great senses of humor.

boomergal
    54 years old
    T57, L43
    surgery sch. with Dr. Boachie 7/05/11
    T2 - T12, posterior

Boomergirl,
    I know this is a tough time, but you will get through it and be on the way to recovery before you know it. From everything I've read on this forum, you have one of the top surgeons. I told Dr. Lenke's nurse to relay the message to him the afternoon before my surgery that I wanted the rib hump gone and jokingly said that I didn't care if he had to saw off a couple of ribs to do it. I guess the derotating of the spine and 6 osteotomies did the trick because I have no evidence at all of the rib hump and he didn't do a thoracoplasty. I hope the same for you. Please post as soon as you are able to let us all know how you are doing. I wish you the best!
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Boomergal,
      My thoughts will be with you on Tues. You really are in good hands. Everyone there kept reassuring me that Dr. Boachie is one of the the most skilled surgeons they have ever worked with. I am glad to hear you reserved an aide, it is reassuring to have someone with you at all times. I did not have a thoracoplasty either, and no longer have a rib hump. He used BMP, donor bone, and some of my own bone. Is he not using BMP with you? He is the expert, whatever he chooses, I am sure is for the best. Best of Luck, and looking forward to hearing from you post-op.
      Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
      T54/L72
      Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
      Gained 2 inches!
      Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
      12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
      Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Thanks so much for your good wishes. Karen, like you, I'm up for whatever it takes to get rid of the rib hump. (I really enjoyed your swimsuit post--I can't wait to see my new back and eventually go out shopping.) Lori, Dr. Boachie is using a combination of donor bone, BMP and my bone. So far I'm feeling calm and almost excited (I never imagined I would be this calm). I feel very lucky that Dr. Boachie is my doctor and I know he'll do whatever is best.

I'll keep you all informed and I'll get my husband to post, too.

All the best to everyone.

Mary (boomergal), 54 years old
        T57, L43
        surgery sched. with Dr. Boachie 7/05/11
        T2-T12, posterior

Comment

Originally posted by boomergal View Post
          Boachie said that the choice was either the selective thoracic fusion or a fusion down to L4. Because my lumbar curve is very flexible, he wants to preserve the lumbar vertebrae with the hopes that the curve will correct itself (however the rotation in the lumbar region will remain, even if the curve self-corrects). He will know within 6 to 12 months if the fusion needs to be extended. Somehow I had thought that if I needed an extension of the fusion it wouldn't be necessary for years.
          I am not clear on why Boachie is unsure about whether the lumbar will correct itself. As far as I know, he can determine if the lumbar curve is structural or just compensatory with bending radiographs. If structural it might need fusion if it worsens and that is the 6 to 12 month observation window he is discussing. If only compensatory, it will be much reduced or completely gone on the table and and as seen on first post-op radiograph.

Your thought about many years going by before an extension is necessary relates to folks who have structural lumbar curves that are fused ending at L3 or below that don't include the pelvis. Those people are thought to be in a "countdown" for fusing the remainder of the lumbar. Per testimonials I have read, this countdown can last anywhere between a few years to many years. Linda will know better than I.

If you are like both my daughters who only have one structural curve and it is in the thorax and the fusion ends at L3 or above, you are not expected to need any more fusion in your life per our surgeon. The wildcard for you is whether your lumbar is structural. You might want to ask Boachie that specific question. Based on what you have written about his saying you might need extension down the road, I am guessing he thinks it might be structural. Or not! All cases are different.

Does using rib bone for the bone graft constitute a thoracoplasty? Or is that term just used for rib removal when it's done for cosmetic purposes?
          Thoracoplasty is the rib removal as far as I know. The ribs grow back, hopefully in a better configuration, per what I've read.

I'm wondering how much the thoracoplasty increases pain and recovery time, and how it affects pulmonary function. I'm guessing that the incentive spirometer exercise is going to be painful. At least I'll avoid the bone graft from the hip.
          Relatively few folks get thoracoplasty in the US per my understanding. My one daughter was very rotated but the pedicle screws, along with surgeon skill, removed most of it. There are folks from other countries and even a few from the US who did have this procedure and hopefully will say how painful that was if they can separate it out form the fusion surgery.

Good luck. You have hit upon the way to go into this with confidence and that is KNOWING you have a great surgeon. That's what got us through the first kid's surgery. What got us through the second kid's surgery is seeing the quick recovery, great cosmetic results, and most of all stabilization of the straightened spine on the first kid.

You will get a great result also.

Sharon
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Boomergal--
            You have the right positive attitude and sounds like you have reached that rather calm feeling before surgery. Best wishes and lots of positive prayers and thoughts coming your way. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

good luck on tuesday
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment

Good luck tomorrow

Melissa
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

good luck to you tomorrow!

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are with you today.
                    Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

positive thoughts for you today! Good luck!
                      Bamboo

Diagnosed age 17 in 1975
                      no treatment
                      Never knew I would need any follow-up
                      Now 53 years old
                      Curves in late 2010 Lumbar 70, Thoracic 65
                      Has been fused T2 to L4 on september 22th 2011
                      Dr. Stefan Parent, Hôpital Sacré-Coeur, Montréal

Comment

Hope your surgery goes well and you have a smooth recovery! We're all rooting for you!
                        Rebecca
                        Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
                        wore night bending brace as teenager
                        Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
                        herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
                        fusion L2-3 November 2008
                        Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
                        Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
                        Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
                        gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
                        Before and After X-rays
                        My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sayin Prayers for your surgery

Boomergal, saying lots of prayers for you!
                          Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                          Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                          Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                          Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                          The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                          Before and after xrays:
                          http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Re Tuesday surgery

My wife's surgery went smoothly and swiftly on Tuesday. No rib bone had to be used. After three hours Dr. Boachie came out into the family atrium waiting area and showed my daughter and me the before and after X rays on his Blackberry. Wow. What a difference!
                            The last two days of recovery have gone smoothly as well. Lucidity, walking, and digestion are all improving. The staff has been caring, friendly and professional.
                            It sounds like my wife will be released on Sunday or Monday. She can update things here after she gets home. (I had a longer version of this post and lost it. Grrr.)
                            Thank you all very much for your kind comments and good wishes. All the best to all of you waiting for procedures and all of you recovering from surgeries.
                            Last edited by boomergal; 07-09-2011, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Glad that all went well

Melissa
                              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
                              X