Headaches......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headaches......

This may be a strange question but here it goes...

For anyone out there who has problems with their neck due to Scoliosis(herniated discs and Arthritis) and suffers from Migraines: Have you ever had a headache that has left your skin hurting near the hair folicles, the skin on your face and around your eye socket and jaw bone????

I'm so sore and not sure if it's just part of a migraine or something totally different. I'm going to have a Medial Branch Block done at the end of the month and hopefully will gain some results with that. Also, my primary care agreed to actually do her job and address my migraines. I'm trying Fioricet.....helping some but I haven't taken the maximum dose yet. Getting ready to try it shortly as I am over the pain!!!!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Yes, I had been getting those type of migraines for quite awhile. Fortunately I went to a neurologist who has helped me. I take Topamax (generic is topiramate) daily to prevent them. It does have some side effects that can be scary, but I'm ok, so that's good. It really has helped me. Also, he prescribed Sumatriptan for when I do get a migraine, and it really helps almost all the time. It's really expensive though. The generic is about $10/pill. I know exactly what you mean about the hair follicles-- and even my eyebrows hurt.

Susan-- I hope the floricet works well for you-- and the medial branch block. Best wishes. Migraines are no fun at all...
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

[QUOTE=Susie*Bee;122548] I take Topamax (generic is topiramate) daily to prevent them.....

I was on Topamax about 5 years ago and it did work well and that's exactly what I was thinking yesterday. I had migraines solid for one whole year, most likly due to my Scoliosis progressing. I've been having all the nerve twinges and stabs again. I plan on getting to my primary care on Tuesday. I will deal with back pain any day over migraines.....I seem to be going down that road again. Hopefully this is not the beginning of a new trend.

Your right about the side effects. I had the nasty taste in my mouth and the numbness and vision changes but if I remembe correctly they went away after my body got use to the meds. Keeping my fingers crossed

My face felt better today but right now my headache is kicking in to full swing thanks to two of our neighbors burning their fire pits and our backyard having a nasty smokey haze.....even my house is smelling like smoke. Time to have a little neighborly chat I think!
      Susan

Comment

So sorry to hear what a hard time you're having Susan. I can't help, I don't get migraines, but I know people who do and I'm aware how debilitating they can be. I just wanted to send you a cyber hug and wish you well with finding an answer to them.

How's your back otherwise?
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post

I was on Topamax about 5 years ago and it did work well and that's exactly what I was thinking yesterday. I had migraines solid for one whole year, most likly due to my Scoliosis progressing. I've been having all the nerve twinges and stabs again. I plan on getting to my primary care on Tuesday. I will deal with back pain any day over migraines.....I seem to be going down that road again. Hopefully this is not the beginning of a new trend.

Your right about the side effects. I had the nasty taste in my mouth and the numbness and vision changes but if I remembe correctly they went away after my body got use to the meds. Keeping my fingers crossed

My face felt better today but right now my headache is kicking in to full swing thanks to two of our neighbors burning their fire pits and our backyard having a nasty smokey haze.....even my house is smelling like smoke. Time to have a little neighborly chat I think!
          Hope you get it resolved soon. I think I've gotten off pretty easy with the side effects. Carbonated beverages taste like metal, so I gave them up, but that's ok in the big picture... I get finger "tingling" (parasthesia) but usually only when I'm cutting up vegetables, for some strange reason. Definitely a good trade-off for migraines that would last 3-4 days, 2-4 weeks each month. I am so pleased with the results, although I still have occasional ones. I hope and pray that you'll get yours taken care of soon. Good luck with your neighbors!!!
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

You might want to read my posting about occipital headaches that was posted on 6/16. I have headaches as well. I take 2 Fioricet and sit for at least 20 minutes to let it work. While doing that, I carefully do some stretches of my neck.

Massage of the head, neck, and shoulders helps as well.

The pain in my head is getting less often. These are not migraines but feel like them. I have had migraines as well.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by backissues View Post
              You might want to read my posting about occipital headaches that was posted on 6/16. I have headaches as well. I take 2 Fioricet and sit for at least 20 minutes to let it work. While doing that, I carefully do some stretches of my neck.

The pain in my head is getting less often. These are not migraines but feel like them. I have had migraines as well.

Good luck!
              That's exactly where most of my headaches originate from.....the Ocipital Joint. I've always said that my migraines aren't "typical migraines" even though that's what the docs want to call them. It always feels like someone has hit the back of my head/neck with a sledge hammer. They can call them whatever they want as long as they assist me in preventing them! I wonder if there will come a day when all this stops being such a dominant part of my day. Time will tell :O) Positive thinking.....positive thinking!
              Susan

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                So sorry to hear what a hard time you're having Susan. I can't help, I don't get migraines, but I know people who do and I'm aware how debilitating they can be. I just wanted to send you a cyber hug and wish you well with finding an answer to them.

How's your back otherwise?
                Hey JG!

My pre-surgery pain is gone which is geat. I do deal with on going muscle spasms. These muscles just do not want to stay in their nice new positions! I'm getting there though....now just to rid the head of the headaches and I'll be happy. How are things with you?
                Susan

Comment

I am in a constant state of stretching and I have a wonderful massage therapist. I am going in tomorrow thank goodness! I'm glad that your headaches are becoming more controlled. It's much easier dealing with back pain then with migraines. I have learned that while in the winter heat works best, during the summer the ice definitely wins out. My 11 year old son has been having bad neck pain and tension headaches. We've aquired lots of ice packs!
                  Susan

Comment

Working...
                  X