Incision not healing all the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incision not healing all the way

I had my second surgery on June 9th. Mostly I'm doing very well-- walking a couple of blocks at a time, able to stand a bit to fix a simple snack, etc. I'm wearing a brace when I'm up and about. The problem is that I still have two small parts of the big incision that are draining occasionally and have not healed. I think they're each around a half an inch long, but obviously I been able to look too well. Dr. Lee put me on Keflex yesterday. Neither are showing signs of infection yet, but still, it's almost three weeks. I decided that I'd start taking some vitamins, A, C, and E, that are associated with healing and also sit outside with my back exposed to the sun a few times a day. Since I'm very fair-skinned, that will only be about 5 minutes at a time, and I won't have the bandage off.
    Anyway- any thoughts or advice or experience with this?
    Diagnosed at age 13
    Milwaukee brace ages 73-74
    Pre surgery 58 degree curve and lordosis
    Surgery June 7&9, 2011 Fused L-4 -T-4 Age 52
    Post surgery 26 degrees
    Surgeon Yu-po Lee

Hi Paula,

I had 2 spots that also took awhile to heal. The spot on my lower back split open at about 6 weeks post-op. It was infected but only on the surface, thankfully. My surgeon gave me 2-3 weeks worth of Keflex and some triple antibiotic ointment. I don't remember how long it took to heal after that, but it was no more than 2 weeks.

I hope you heal up soon!

Shell
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Great-- thank you for the reassurance. My surgeon says he may start me with the UCSD wound care center here too, if it's not healed up in a few more days. I've managed to get through this all pretty calmly, but there's kind of an ick factor to a draining wound which is bothering me.
      Diagnosed at age 13
      Milwaukee brace ages 73-74
      Pre surgery 58 degree curve and lordosis
      Surgery June 7&9, 2011 Fused L-4 -T-4 Age 52
      Post surgery 26 degrees
      Surgeon Yu-po Lee

Comment

just a word of advice...vitamin E thins your blood thats why they tell you not to take it before surgery so if your oozing/bleeding Vitamin E might not be the best idea. Check with your doctor so you dont do yourself any harm. Hope you are feeling better every day1
        Sarahcant
        Surgery March 15
        Dr. Errico NYU
        Fused T-3 to S-1
        an inch and change taller
        nice and straight
        49 years old (yikes)

Comment

Working...
        X