PDA

View Full Version : Incision not healing all the way

paula
06-28-2011, 02:26 PM
I had my second surgery on June 9th. Mostly I'm doing very well-- walking a couple of blocks at a time, able to stand a bit to fix a simple snack, etc. I'm wearing a brace when I'm up and about. The problem is that I still have two small parts of the big incision that are draining occasionally and have not healed. I think they're each around a half an inch long, but obviously I been able to look too well. Dr. Lee put me on Keflex yesterday. Neither are showing signs of infection yet, but still, it's almost three weeks. I decided that I'd start taking some vitamins, A, C, and E, that are associated with healing and also sit outside with my back exposed to the sun a few times a day. Since I'm very fair-skinned, that will only be about 5 minutes at a time, and I won't have the bandage off.
Anyway- any thoughts or advice or experience with this?

briarrose
06-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Hi Paula,

I had 2 spots that also took awhile to heal. The spot on my lower back split open at about 6 weeks post-op. It was infected but only on the surface, thankfully. My surgeon gave me 2-3 weeks worth of Keflex and some triple antibiotic ointment. I don't remember how long it took to heal after that, but it was no more than 2 weeks.

I hope you heal up soon!

Shell

paula
06-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Great-- thank you for the reassurance. My surgeon says he may start me with the UCSD wound care center here too, if it's not healed up in a few more days. I've managed to get through this all pretty calmly, but there's kind of an ick factor to a draining wound which is bothering me. :)

sarahcant
06-30-2011, 09:30 AM
just a word of advice...vitamin E thins your blood thats why they tell you not to take it before surgery so if your oozing/bleeding Vitamin E might not be the best idea. Check with your doctor so you dont do yourself any harm. Hope you are feeling better every day1