Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here, Having To Considering Surgery

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, but I've been coming here for months, reading and learning as much as I can. Many of you have already helped me and answered questions I had, and you didn't even know I was out there, so thank you! I also really love when people share pictures, BTW. It's been a bit of a roller coaster ride with my back, especially in the last couple years since I started going to a pain management doctor, and then in the last couple months since I saw my first spine surgeon and learned my curve is worse than I thought, and he recommended surgery. I also just finished reading the book Scoliosis Surgery, The Definitive Patient's Reference by David K. Wolpert, which I got because I saw several people here recommend it. It is a good book, and I'm sure I'll be referring back to it a lot.

I'm a 44-year-old woman, and I discovered my curve as a teenager, but I think I was 16 yrs old before I mentioned it to my family doctor. He said yes, I had mild scoliosis, but we'd just keep an eye on it. If it didn't get any worse by the time I was done growing, I'd be fine, there wouldn't be any treatment needed, and there wouldn't be any symptoms from it. (Oh, if only that had been true.) He didn't get an x-ray, so I don't know what the degree of the curve was then. And I don't know how we were going to "keep an eye on it" when we didn't know the size of the curve to begin with. I don't remember it even coming up again, and I saw him for years after that. I think he really just felt the curve was so small as to be a non-issue.

At about 20, I started going to a chiropractor for low back pain. He confirmed I had scoliosis, and I remember him showing me the x-ray. He said I had a thoracolumbar curve, and the Cobb angle was 22 degrees, and yes, that was considered a mild/small curve. I was glad to hear that, and had been told it wouldn't progress, so I didn't worry too much. He also measured my legs and said my right leg was a little bit shorter than the left. He gave me a heel lift to put in my right shoe to make my pelvis level. I hated that thing at first, but once I got used to it I really liked how it made me feel level. I still have the last one he gave me and I still use it, even though I haven't seen him in at least 10 years. BTW, he never claimed the heel lift (or any treatment he did) would "cure" my scoliosis, but I went to him about once a month for years, which did make my back feel better.

Incidentally, at age 25, I went to an orthopedic surgeon for knee pain, not related to my back. While there, I mentioned I had scoliosis and that I was seeing a chiropractor. The ortho said, very bluntly (almost rudely) that no matter what I did, my curve would progress by about 1 degree per year. I was very upset to hear this. I think he was mostly trying to say I wasting my money on a chiropractor. But that was the first time I'd ever heard that my "mild" curve would progress, no matter what I did. I'd always been told the opposite. I wasn't sure if he knew what he was talking about, but because of that, I guess it's always been in the back of my mind that the curve might get worse. I just didn't really think it would, or maybe I just hoped it wouldn't. Unfortunately, in my case, he was exactly right.

My 20s and early 30s passed without much of a problem with my back. I would get backaches a lot, but Tylenol or Motrin and rest would take care of it. But then in my late 30s, I started to get severe lower back pain with standing, even for just 10 to 15 minutes. Standing in the kitchen making dinner, I'd have to sit down. Grocery shopping became almost unbearable. Luckily, I had a desk job (still do, but only P/T now), so I could still work okay, though I would often be uncomfortable. I went to my family doctor and we tried muscle relaxers, a TENS unit, exercises, NSAIDs. Nothing really helped. I was in the process of moving out of the area when I saw her for the last time, and she was finally understanding how bad the pain was, and how much it was affecting my life. She wanted to send me to physical therapy and to a surgeon. (I did NOT want to see a surgeon, esp. after that last guy.) But I was moving, so that didn't happen.

To cope, I actually (on my own, and against her advice) bought a lumbar back brace at the pharmacy a few years ago. It has metal springs in the lumbar area. I put on 2 of those "waist-nipper/girdle" undergarments, then put the lumbar brace on over that, then my clothes over it. This little "contraption" has helped me more than anything over the past several years. Of course, I feel like I'm stuffed in like a sausage and it's not very comfortable, but I only wear it to do things like grocery shopping, certain housework, etc., or if I know I'm going to be doing some walking. I'll still have pain, and will pay for doing those activities later with increased pain and soreness, but it allows me to do those things without the pain being unbearable.

About 2-1/2 years ago, I started going to a pain mgmt doctor. He's done steroid facet injections at many different levels, nerve blocks, even a rhizotomy, with no more than a couple days of pain relief. He also did a lumbar epidural steroid injection which was horrendous and actually increased my pain, and I couldn't even stand up straight for days. It took me a good 3 weeks to get back to my "baseline" level of pain. NOT a good experience with that, and that's obviously not what happens with most people who get that injection. He didn't have a good explanation as to why it affected me that way. Needless to say, I was not willing to try it again when he asked. The only thing he's done that's helped is prescribe pain medication. I resisted that for a long time, really not wanting to start down that road, and hoping the injections would work, but they haven't so I do take Vicodin, and sometimes Ultram and muscle relaxers. I only take the pain meds in the evening, after I'm done working, because they make me feel "spaced out" and it feels hard to concentrate. Now that everything else he's tried hasn't worked, the only thing he has left to offer is either a spinal nerve stimulator implant (no, thank you) or referring me to a surgeon.

Now I've had an MRI, CT scan, and lumbar x-rays. I had copies of the reports, but not the actual images. The MRI was done first, about 2-1/2 years ago, and it didn't note the degree of the curve. The CT scan didn't either, but I asked them to calculate it, and they said it was 33 degrees. Same thing with the lumbar x-rays, they said 33 degrees. But they used phrases like "moderately severe thoracolumbar scoliosis" (severe?!) and "considerable rotational component" in the reports, which didn't make sense to me. I mean, for so long now, I've been wondering why I have so much pain, and more noticeable deformity, with just a 33 degree curve? I was thinking I probably would have to have surgery at some point, because of the pain, and as the curve progressed, but I wanted to think it would be way, way in the future - if then! I thought of it as a last resort and wanted to try everything else first. At the beginning of this year, I was even going to get the SpineCor brace, to see if it would give me some pain relief. But once the orthotist saw my images (and e-mailed SpineCor to confirm) he said it wouldn't work for me, and would actually make my low back pain WORSE (I guess because of lateral listhesis I have at 1 level?). Wow. They don't mention that possibility on their websites or testimonials do they? LOL

So... I finally went to see a spine surgeon in May. He said he thought my curve was more than 33 degrees, and sent me down the hall for a full back x-ray. I think that's the key. The other studies were ordered by the pain mgmt doctor and focused on my lower back, since that's where most of my pain is, but the whole back needs to be x-rayed to correctly calculate the Cobb angle, right? I wasn't thinking about that. This surgeon calculated the curve at 46 to 50 degrees! And he seemed more than happy (if you know what I mean) to operate. He said he'd probably fuse me from T10 to the sacrum. I was shocked to hear 46 to 50, but I guess not completely, as it makes a lot more sense now as to why I have as much pain and deformity as I do. I think when they said 33 degrees, they weren't using the right levels to calculate the Cobb angle. They weren't going up high enough. Does that seem like what happened?

I'm now trying to wrap my head around the idea of surgery, and this forum has been a huge help, because for so long I wouldn't even consider it. I remember the first time I saw post-op spinal fusion x-rays here, with all the instrumentation. They took my breath away! But then I started to get curious and want to learn more. Now I really like looking at the pictures. Now I have an appt for a 2nd opinion, but the 2nd opinion surgeon is likely the one I'd want to do the surgery, assuming I can work up the courage, at some point, possibly, maybe, for surgery. LOL. His name is Dr. Ganocy, in Los Angeles, and I saw his name mentioned here by a person who had surgery with him and recommended him. I found that by doing a search here on his name, but I don't think that person is here on the forum anymore. Dr. Ganocy is also listed on the SRS site, whereas the 1st surgeon I went to is not (and I didn't really feel like I "clicked" with him anyway). There is also another surgeon on the SRS list who is covered by my insurance and is in San Diego. That would definitely be an easier drive than to L.A., but I haven't found out much about him, and he's younger (so, less experience?). How can I best find out more about a surgeon?

Well, if you're still reading this, thank you. Any advice would be welcome, and I'll try not to be so long-winded in the future!

Lisa

Hi Lisa...

It's usually pretty easy to find a bio or CV for most docs. Ideally what you want, if possible, is to choose someone who has done a fellowship, preferably in spinal deformities. The best training grounds for this specialty are San Francisco, Minnesota, New York, Boston, and St. Louis.

Good luck with your search.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Lisa,
      Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about a lengthy post. It tells your story and if anyone understands what you are going through, it's the people from this forum. Good luck in finding a good scoliosis surgeon. We'll look forward to hearing more from you.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        Hi Lisa...

It's usually pretty easy to find a bio or CV for most docs. Ideally what you want, if possible, is to choose someone who has done a fellowship, preferably in spinal deformities. The best training grounds for this specialty are San Francisco, Minnesota, New York, Boston, and St. Louis.

Good luck with your search.

Regards,
        Linda
        Thank you, Linda. If I remember correctly, Dr. Ganocy did a surgical spinal deformities fellowship in New York, at the Hospital of Special Surgery, and went to a top medical school. His credentials seem impressive. The surgeon in San Diego did a fellowship, but in San Diego. I was also wondering how to find out things like how many scoliosis fusion surgeries a doctor has done, how many he or she does each month, and that kind of thing. Is that kind of info. only really something you can get by making an appt. to see them? The 1st surgeon I saw said he does about 1 or 2 a month. That doesn't seem like very many to me, but I don't know, is it?
        Last edited by SpineTime; 06-27-2011, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
          Lisa,
          Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about a lengthy post. It tells your story and if anyone understands what you are going through, it's the people from this forum. Good luck in finding a good scoliosis surgeon. We'll look forward to hearing more from you.
          Oh, thank you, Golfnut! I sent my post, saw the size, and immediately wanted to delete it! I could've written less and left a little mystery!

Comment

Welcome Lisa,
            I am 3 weeks post-op, being fused T4-S1. I can identify with everything in your post. I think you know, in your gut, when the time comes to consider surgery. I also did many, many years of chiropractic care, and swore I would never have surgery. The last 2 years, I think the adjustments actually made my pain worse. I switched to a gentle, no thrust method, which helped stretch and condition my muscles, to prepare for surgery.
            For me, the key to choosing a surgeon, was experience. I chose Dr. Boachie because he does several surgeries a week, does very complex cases, and has really good outcomes. Also, research the hospital where the surgery would be done. A really important factor is, what is their post-op infection rate? You don't want to get a wound infection. As Linda said, there are a lot of good options in CA, and choosing from a SRS doctor is also key.
            Take your time, doing your research, and finding someone you feel comfortable with. I think I read every old post on this forum, which was invaluable. Fortunately, with this condition, there is no rush to make a decision. And, once you do decide, you will second guess yourself, that is normal. Good Luck with your search, and keep asking question. This forum has been my life support.
            Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
            T54/L72
            Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
            Gained 2 inches!
            Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
            12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
            Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorz View Post
              Welcome Lisa,
              I am 3 weeks post-op, being fused T4-S1. I can identify with everything in your post. I think you know, in your gut, when the time comes to consider surgery. I also did many, many years of chiropractic care, and swore I would never have surgery. The last 2 years, I think the adjustments actually made my pain worse. I switched to a gentle, no thrust method, which helped stretch and condition my muscles, to prepare for surgery.
              For me, the key to choosing a surgeon, was experience. I chose Dr. Boachie because he does several surgeries a week, does very complex cases, and has really good outcomes. Also, research the hospital where the surgery would be done. A really important factor is, what is their post-op infection rate? You don't want to get a wound infection. As Linda said, there are a lot of good options in CA, and choosing from a SRS doctor is also key.
              Take your time, doing your research, and finding someone you feel comfortable with. I think I read every old post on this forum, which was invaluable. Fortunately, with this condition, there is no rush to make a decision. And, once you do decide, you will second guess yourself, that is normal. Good Luck with your search, and keep asking question. This forum has been my life support.
              Hi Lori,

Congratulations on being 3 weeks post-op! I hope you're doing well in your recovery. I've seen Dr. Boachie's name mentioned here a lot, as one of the top surgeons, so that's great you were able to go to him. And thank you for your comments. I think that's all very good advice, especially about finding out the hospital's infection rate. Very important.

I am worried about finding the right surgeon. I have Kaiser insurance, and there are only 2 doctors on the SRS list who are with Kaiser and within driving distance of me. But I really like everything I've found out about Dr. Ganocy so far, which is a relief. I won't undergo the surgery unless I feel like I have a great surgeon I can trust. I do wish he was closer, because the drive from my house into Los Angeles is long (probably 2-1/2 to 3 hours each way), and can be a nightmare with traffic. But I know some people have to fly long distances to their surgeon, so I'll stop my complaining! I think I'm very slowly inching my way towards surgery... which I never thought I'd say.

Oh, regarding chiropractors, I loved mine. He was a great guy. I think he was completely honest and ethical about what he could and couldn't do to help me. And he always said if I was in pain, to come in if I needed to, and we'd worry about the bill later. Heck, he didn't charge me that much anyway. Maybe he just took pity on me, because I was so young and broke when I first started seeing him. LOL

I've read a lot of old posts here too. I would do a search for something, then end up reading whole threads and learn all kinds of things. This forum really is a tremendous resource. What's puzzling to me is that doctors don't seem to know that much about scoliosis, esp. in adults. It's not like I kept being told I should see a surgeon and refused - quite the opposite. And the 2 times referring me to a surgeon was sort of half-heartedly suggested, now that I remember, they wanted to refer me to a NEUROsurgeon, not an orthopedic surgeon. Up until the orthopedic surgeon I saw in May, no doctors (including my pain mgmt. doctor) ever seemed to think my curve was a big deal. I'd bring it up, they'd make note of it... and move on. They didn't ever seem to take it seriously as a cause of my pain, so for a long time, I didn't either. It's because of what I read here that *I* asked to see an orthopedic surgeon. How could they not have thought of that? I feel like I had to figure this out on my own. Strange.

Comment

Wait, I need to correct that.

Now that I think of it (my memory is terrible sometimes), I said above that my pain mgmt dr. doesn't take the scoliosis seriously as the cause of my back pain. He's never brought it up, but when I specifically asked him if the scoliosis was contributing to the pain, he did say yes, absolutely. But I do often get the feeling the curve doesn't impress him as being all that important. It's hard to tell. He's not very talkative.

Comment

Lisa,
                  I had the same experience with doctors. My scoliosis, even with as severe as it was, was treated as an "incidental finding" I was also the one who sought out the scoliosis surgeons, who all recommended surgery. The field is just so specialized, most orthopedic drs. don't even realize what can be done, they just say live with it.
                  As far as insurance, does yours allow for in-network, and out-of-network payments? Many of the top Drs. (Boachie included), do not even participate with insurance. What they do is, determine what your out of network payment would be, and decide if they will accept it. You may have a small balance, but nothing astronomical. The hospital was in-network, so that helped. So, call the Drs. you are interested in seeing, and ask them how they handle those situations. Some times, there are a lot more options than you realize. I never would have known, were it not for this forum. Good Luck!
                  Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                  T54/L72
                  Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                  Gained 2 inches!
                  Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                  12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                  Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Lisa

Welcome.

I also utilized Chiropractic to keep things going for many years. 21 years actually. I wouldn’t have made it with out them. Since it worked quite well for me in “maintaining”, I usually post because I cannot believe that there are not that many posters that use Chiropractic for scoliosis. ???

Anyway, you will know when you are ready. The surgical decision is a tough one....

Lori, you hang in there. Things will improve soon.

Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by Lorz View Post
                      Lisa,
                      I had the same experience with doctors. My scoliosis, even with as severe as it was, was treated as an "incidental finding" I was also the one who sought out the scoliosis surgeons, who all recommended surgery. The field is just so specialized, most orthopedic drs. don't even realize what can be done, they just say live with it.
                      As far as insurance, does yours allow for in-network, and out-of-network payments? Many of the top Drs. (Boachie included), do not even participate with insurance. What they do is, determine what your out of network payment would be, and decide if they will accept it. You may have a small balance, but nothing astronomical. The hospital was in-network, so that helped. So, call the Drs. you are interested in seeing, and ask them how they handle those situations. Some times, there are a lot more options than you realize. I never would have known, were it not for this forum. Good Luck!
                      Well, I guess it's good to know I'm not alone in my experiences with drs. They called your curve an incidental finding? That just doesn't sound right, does it?

I will have to check into what you said about in-network vs. out-of-network. I hadn't even thought about that.

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                        Lisa

Welcome.

I also utilized Chiropractic to keep things going for many years. 21 years actually. I wouldn’t have made it with out them. Since it worked quite well for me in “maintaining”, I usually post because I cannot believe that there are not that many posters that use Chiropractic for scoliosis. ???

Anyway, you will know when you are ready. The surgical decision is a tough one....

Lori, you hang in there. Things will improve soon.

Ed
                        Hi Ed,

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, I think chiropractors help a lot of people, but they're controversial, plus a lot of times, insurance doesn't cover them (mine never did), so I think people don't know what to think of them. I only ever went to that one. My mom goes to a chiro now who has helped her a lot with neck pain. But it sounds like her current one also has a physical therapist there too, for massage type stuff, so who wouldn't like that?

I have to tell you, part of the reason I finally registered here was so I could see all the pictures people post, and I was dying to see yours that everyone was raving about, with your flexibility. They were right. You have a lot of flexibility with your fusion!

I get a little sad when I think about it - if I'm fused from about T10 to sacrum, because I'm actually very flexible now, still, and I wonder how I'll do certain things.

Comment

Lisa
                          Great! We are glad you joined.

I want you to know that there were no guarantees on my flexibility. I think that my surgeon didn’t want me to be dissatisfied after my surgeries. I had to expect the worst. I’m a 49 year skier. (Big mountain) yes, that includes high cliff jumps.

I’m off to Mammoth tomorrow for some 4th of July skiing. Don’t worry, I’ve slowed down and my wings are clipped now.
                          I will post next week.

Happy 4th of July everyone. 235 is the number now.
                          Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Lisa,

welcome. I remember feeling like I could be knocked over by a feather when the first Dr. I saw 3 years ago told me how high my curves measured. I never imagined in a million years that I would progress so far to need surgery.

You will get through this. Get as informed as possible, and don't rush into a decision. You've only got one back! My advice is to get the best surgeon possible, one from the srs.org list and go from there. http://www.srs.org/find/

This isn't the type of condition that you go to the general orthopedic who might deal with spine issues as well.

Good luck, and ask any questions here. This is a great group.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                              Lisa,

welcome. I remember feeling like I could be knocked over by a feather when the first Dr. I saw 3 years ago told me how high my curves measured. I never imagined in a million years that I would progress so far to need surgery.

You will get through this. Get as informed as possible, and don't rush into a decision. You've only got one back! My advice is to get the best surgeon possible, one from the srs.org list and go from there. http://www.srs.org/find/

This isn't the type of condition that you go to the general orthopedic who might deal with spine issues as well.

Good luck, and ask any questions here. This is a great group.
                              Hi Debbe,

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, this does seem to be a great group of people here.

I think I would have felt like you could knock me over with a feather when the surgeon said the curve is now 46 to 50* (when I thought I was only 33*) except for the fact that not only has the pain gotten worse, but I've really started to notice my left waist area sort of "caving in" much more than it ever did. If not for that, I think I would have been very shocked!

Now it's all about managing the pain as much as I can, exercising regularly (which I've never enjoyed for some reason, even though it makes me feel better!) and finding the best surgeon I can find.

Lisa

Comment

Working...
                              X