cleaning bathtubs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning bathtubs...

I've celebrated my 4th anniversary and STILL haven't figured out how to clean the tub without killing myself. Any ideas out there? My fusion is T2-L4 and I just don't bend... This must sound like a really dumb thread to some of you, but I just thought I'd toss it out there and see what some of you other LONG fusion people do... or if you just have someone else do it. Thanks!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

HI Susie,

I'll do it, but it isn't such a hot job. I bought this long-handled scrubbie thing, which helps. Also, recently I bought this stuff called Kaboom that you spray on, wait a few min and then scrub or just rinse off. There is a lot less scrubbing involved, so I can get a decent (enough) result. The trouble with Kaboom is that it fumigates me! I think the commercial says no fumes, but they lie!!

If I really want a good job, I'll have my husband clean the tub.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I don't. That torch has been passed to my husband.
      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
      Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
      Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Thanks Debbe and mgs-- I thought maybe I was the only one with problems. I bought a long handled thing once-- with a triangular end, but it didn't work very well. My husband thinks the tub looks just fine. Ha ha. He uses a different (regular) shower, and figures I'm not really dirty anyway... I just cleaned one of the tubs, but there are two because we have two houses, 1/4 mile apart, and family coming... so it was making me wonder if anyone else had problems cleaning tubs or if I was an oddball. (OK, ok...) Anyway, thanks for the response. It helped.

I do have to say my husband does do all kinds of other helpful things. He just thinks tubs are ok for a LONG time without cleaning...
        Last edited by Susie*Bee; 06-19-2011, 03:44 PM.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

When I take a tub bath, I use a little Avon bubble bath and rarely get a ring around the tub. Before I get out of the tub, I just wipe around the water line with my wash cloth and open the drain and get out of the tub. No ring, no work. Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

It sounds like you've got that down pat, Sally. Unfortunately I don't take tub baths... I'm afraid I'd have trouble getting back up. I just shower in the tub. We do have a little iron in our water, so after a few months the white tub begins to take on a soft, pale orange glow... My hubby is probably correct in saying the tub isn't really dirty, but it doesn't look squeaky clean for company.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Not a dumb question at all! I can do most housework but anything that involves getting down low like cleaning tubs or showers ( my most unfavorite jobs anyway ) I have trouble . I can get down, but its staying down that is so uncomfortable, and then getting back up. I have someone come to my house every 2 weeks to clean, and it is well worth the money spent. In between, I can handle the sweeping, and picking up type work. And hubby is here for any heavy lifting....
              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Hi Susie -- I finally started tackling the bathtubs last year, after making my husband do them for a couple of years. I HATE doing them and I do a very half-assed job of it, and I let a long time go in between cleanings. Hey, I figure if the sink and toilet are clean, the Board of Health will leave me alone, haha....

I can bend from the hips, but I'm careful to support myself with one arm on the edge of the tub while reaching/cleaning with the other -- I can tell when I'm stressing my fusion am very careful not to.
                Chris
                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

That and cleaning the oven and the shower are my least favourite jobs. I'd like to say my partner would do it but he's a bit like other partners here, who reckon it's just fine for a l o n g time. So I do it, but it's not easy.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Awwwww, you have made me feel so much better. I've got one done, one to go. I wish I could hire it out, but that's not an option... my husband would think that was a total waste of money, Kristy. He is so good about so many things. He vacuums and mops and puts the sheets on the bed because he doesn't think I should do those things. (Twisting and bending-- and my surgeon said not to, because my lower two lumbar are in "jeopardy" still.) So he pretty much does more than he really needs to. But the tub problem just doesn't exist to him. OH WELL! Life goes on... Thanks for your replies. I thought maybe I was just being a wimp.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Working...
                    X