owwweeeee on vacation.... help???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• owwweeeee on vacation.... help???

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've been on. My mom and I are on a trip in Alaska and it's amazing! But my back has been tightening up so much :{ :{ :{ to the point where I need to lay down and relax....no so convenient if you're out on a boat or on the road. I was fused in September 2009. I'm experiencing some pain not directly on my spine but kind of on the side of my spine below where my bra would be. I don't know if it's from the uncomfortable 5 hour flight, sitting for great amounts of time, or the temperature change. If anyone has had similar aches n pains when travelling I'd so appreciate any advice. Have a check up with my surgeon in a few weeks and hope to ask him some questions then. THANKS A BUNCH! Hope all is well!
    Maliha
    Fused September 2009

Maliha-- my guess is that's it's a combination of it all. I do get a tightening of my back when I have recess duty in the cold, cold weather... but I'm pretty prepared for it now with a really thick down coat. Dress as warmly as you can, and pace yourself with how much time you spend outside. Maybe a nice, snug down vest would help??? Hopefully your body will recover from the travel aspect soon and you can enjoy your trip more. Good luck!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thank you Susie! Today the weather rose to about 70 degrees and my back was fine! So wierd I guess I'm not amde for cold weather. But am doing better and hoping for some more warm weather. Thank you for your advice :}
      Maliha

Comment

I agree with Susie--especially in the beginning (and even still) cold sends a certain spot on my back into painful spasms. I bought the warmest winter coat I could find, which helped, and try to keep myself from getting too cold. If I shiver, that's the worst. My 'spot' sounds to be in a similar location to yours. For me, motrin helps tremendously.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
        X