PDA

View Full Version : owwweeeee on vacation.... help???

spinalfusion09
06-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've been on. My mom and I are on a trip in Alaska and it's amazing! But my back has been tightening up so much :{ :{ :{ to the point where I need to lay down and relax....no so convenient if you're out on a boat or on the road. I was fused in September 2009. I'm experiencing some pain not directly on my spine but kind of on the side of my spine below where my bra would be. I don't know if it's from the uncomfortable 5 hour flight, sitting for great amounts of time, or the temperature change. If anyone has had similar aches n pains when travelling I'd so appreciate any advice. Have a check up with my surgeon in a few weeks and hope to ask him some questions then. THANKS A BUNCH! Hope all is well!
Maliha
Fused September 2009

Susie*Bee
06-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Maliha-- my guess is that's it's a combination of it all. I do get a tightening of my back when I have recess duty in the cold, cold weather... but I'm pretty prepared for it now with a really thick down coat. Dress as warmly as you can, and pace yourself with how much time you spend outside. Maybe a nice, snug down vest would help??? Hopefully your body will recover from the travel aspect soon and you can enjoy your trip more. Good luck!

spinalfusion09
06-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Thank you Susie! Today the weather rose to about 70 degrees and my back was fine! So wierd I guess I'm not amde for cold weather. But am doing better and hoping for some more warm weather. Thank you for your advice :}
Maliha

debbei
06-18-2011, 05:31 AM
I agree with Susie--especially in the beginning (and even still) cold sends a certain spot on my back into painful spasms. I bought the warmest winter coat I could find, which helped, and try to keep myself from getting too cold. If I shiver, that's the worst. My 'spot' sounds to be in a similar location to yours. For me, motrin helps tremendously.