PDA

View Full Version : scar and sunburn

braceyourself
06-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Does anyone know if a bad sunburn affects your scar?

Elisa
06-14-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm not sure if a bad sunburn affects scars but I'd think it must hurt to have a scar burned by the sun or hot water or anything else b/c that tissue is much thinner than normal skin so it would burn quicker. I won't have that problem with my son's scar b/c he hates the sun and heads straight for the shade, lol.

I had a tiny tattoo removed from the back of my shoulder years ago and I really had to protect it from the sun b/c it burned so easily. For many years I used straight zinc ointment on the little square. It's fine now and I don't bother but it took a good ten years to be able to leave it exposed.

JenniferG
06-14-2011, 06:28 PM
At my six month visit, I asked my surgeon if I could go on holiday and he said, try to keep from burning the scar. I did expose it to the sun for short periods, but didn't get it burnt.

golfnut
06-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Katie,
What a wonderful job you did with your history of scoliosis before and after your surgery! I can tell you are a wonderful person and you are quite an inspiration to all. I enjoyed reading your blog. Good job!

Snoopy
06-15-2011, 06:53 AM
I was told to protect my daughter's scar from the sun completely for the first year after surgery. Her surgeon told us to keep the scar from getting ugly we should protect it from the sun. We did and her scar is barely noticable.

Mary Lou

braceyourself
06-15-2011, 09:43 AM
I love my scar, and I don't want it to fade! :) But I also don't want to do any damage to it, either.

debbei
06-15-2011, 11:03 AM
My surgeon also said to keep it well sun-screened if I am in the sun.