PDA

View Full Version : Surgery 5/27 was a success!

CaroleM
06-10-2011, 06:18 PM
My surgery on the 27th went very well. I'm fused t2-t12 48 degrees to less than 10 and lumbar 31 degrees to 0. I'm doing really well and was able to walk a mile yesterday and today. It took 40 mins to do it but I did it! The pain is pretty manageable now but the first week was hell. I'm just taking one oxy in the morning and night and Valium as needed for the spasms, which are subsiding. All in all I am feeling good and hope that when I have my first post op 6/23 there will be more good news. It looks like I gained and inch in height I wish it was more, but I'm just happy to be straighter than I've ever been in my life. So far I'm down 10 pounds but my appetite is starting to come back. My only real issue now is the problems using the bathroom. I'm still trying to find the right combo to help me go regularly without going overboard if you know what I mean. If anyone has a surgery coming up And wants to chat about what to expect feel free to message me.

jeneemohler
06-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Good for you-you sound like you are doing awesome! You will be a great example for others heading in to surgery. It is so nice hearing success stories. Keep us posted on your progress.

JenniferG
06-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Congratulations Carole. The walking you're doing will be doing a lot of good, good to hear. The bowel problem, we all seem to have but you will work out what works for you (we all seem to be different in what works) and gradually as you begin to lower your medication, everything will return to normal. The walking will help with that too.

Keep up the good work!

golfnut
06-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Carole,
Congratulations! You'll keep getting better and better. The bowel issue was my main problem after surgery. I couldn't even tell you if I had any back pain, because I was dealing with constipation, high fiber foods, laxatives, etc. It is hard to get the right combination until you are off the heavy pain meds. Good luck with your recovery.

chmesh
06-11-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm so happy you're doing well Carole!
Thanks for your support and words of wisdom too!

-Christina

djkinkead
06-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Thank you for posting encouraging and guiding words, Carole.

You are showing the strength we all need as we approach the day for our surgeries.