question about exercise and breathing post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about exercise and breathing post-op

I have noticed over the last month or so, whenever I workout afterwards, especially if I do a more intense routine that requires deeper/heavier breathing, I get this strange "cough" and I feel like my chest is tight for the rest of the day. I do have activity induced asthma, but this doesn't really feel like an asthma attack (it's been so long since I've had one of those I don't even have an inhaler anymore). It feels more like my chest is very tight and when I breathe in it irritates it and makes me cough. Could it be that the lungs and or muscles around the lungs are still very tight from the surgery? Should I be doing breathing exercises still at this point, 5 months post op? Maybe it's a little of both my asthma and the surgery, but I find it annoying/curious.

Has anyone else found this post-op? I never experienced this before this last surgery, and I don't think it's anything scary, just was wondering what it is. I will def ask my surgeon about it at my next follow-up but wanted to ask here first!

oh, and my mom said something the other day I thought you all might appreciate. she was a physician's assistant and worked in the medical world for a long time. But she pointed out the other day that most surgeons will never undergo the surgery they preform. She was saying the reason most post-op care is so terrible is because the surgeons and their staff have never taken care of someone after they go home from the surgery, or have felt the pain we feel with the recovery. She was saying she thought the surgeons for this surgery, as part of their training, should have to take care of a post-op scoli patient for the WHOLE first 2 months. Not just pop in and out to see how our stats look. I think she is on to something!!! =)
    Rebecca
    Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
    wore night bending brace as teenager
    Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
    herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
    fusion L2-3 November 2008
    Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
    Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
    Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
    gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
    Before and After X-rays
    My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

I've never had anything like that after I started to workout post-op. Are you sure it's not athsma? Have you tried your inhaler when this happens, and is there a help?

I suppose it could be muscles. Is it just tightness or is there pain too? I still get tightness in the muscles on the left side of my back by my lungs. Believe it or not, motrin helps that for me even better than a muscle relaxant at this point.

Maybe you should run this by a doctor. I hope you can figure it out.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by peachrush7 View Post
      I have noticed over the last month or so, whenever I workout afterwards, especially if I do a more intense routine that requires deeper/heavier breathing, I get this strange "cough" and I feel like my chest is tight for the rest of the day. I do have activity induced asthma, but this doesn't really feel like an asthma attack (it's been so long since I've had one of those I don't even have an inhaler anymore). It feels more like my chest is very tight and when I breathe in it irritates it and makes me cough. Could it be that the lungs and or muscles around the lungs are still very tight from the surgery? Should I be doing breathing exercises still at this point, 5 months post op? Maybe it's a little of both my asthma and the surgery, but I find it annoying/curious.

Has anyone else found this post-op? I never experienced this before this last surgery, and I don't think it's anything scary, just was wondering what it is. I will def ask my surgeon about it at my next follow-up but wanted to ask here first!

oh, and my mom said something the other day I thought you all might appreciate. she was a physician's assistant and worked in the medical world for a long time. But she pointed out the other day that most surgeons will never undergo the surgery they preform. She was saying the reason most post-op care is so terrible is because the surgeons and their staff have never taken care of someone after they go home from the surgery, or have felt the pain we feel with the recovery. She was saying she thought the surgeons for this surgery, as part of their training, should have to take care of a post-op scoli patient for the WHOLE first 2 months. Not just pop in and out to see how our stats look. I think she is on to something!!! =)
      Hey,

I have exercise induced asthma as well, and I get that way sometimes when playing sports or exercising. Although, it has gotten better after my spinal fusion. I didn't really notice a difference, but it was gradually getting better. At my one year check-up, we did a breathing test and my breathing has gotten better. It might be something that just takes time, but I'm not sure.

Also, I had a nurse that had had the same surgery, and she was by far the best "pillow-packer" there! That's when I'm thankful for sites like this where people can talk to others who have experienced bracing or surgery. Doctors know a lot, except usually the biggest part-- how it feels.

Hope your breathing gets better.
      Katie

My blog: http://scoliosis-braceyourself.blogspot.com/
      My video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG9hMohsU0

5 Boston back braces
      Spinal fusion- Nov. 17, 2009, senior year of high school
      52 and 57 degrees pre-surgery, 22 and 20 degrees post-surgery
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Shriners Children's Hospital, Chicago
      Back into volleyball and music as a senior in college!

Comment

I have asthma too, but I have never had the traditional wheezing kind. I get the same thing a tightness in the chest followed by shallow breathing then coughing. The doctor says the coughing is the body's way of trying to get air. Maybe you are experiencing something similar I would talk to your doc.

I'm only a couple of weeks post op and have had a terrible time catching my breath when I'm not sitting down. I have definitely had to rely on my inhaler, before the surgery I never really used it.
        Pre-surgery 5/27/11
        Thoracic 48
        Lumbar 31
        Boston Brace from 1992-93
        Post surgery
        Thoracic less than 10
        Lumbar 0

Comment

I haven't had any issues breathing now at 5 months post op, but I did right after surgery. It felt like my spine and rib cage were so stiff that it was keeping my lungs from expanding when I took a breath. It persisted for several weeks, then gradually disappeared. I also have exertional asthma. I have been exercising and going to PT, but not doing anything quite strenuous enough to aggravate it-yet! But I was close after climbing lots of stairs in Seattle a couple weeks ago ...
          Jenee'-52
          Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
          Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
          I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
          9 hours
          T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
          Non-fusion
          Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

it's asthma....

I went to my GP today and she took one listen to my lungs and heard the tell-tale sound of wheezing. She doesn't think it has anything to do with the surgery, just the fact that there has been little rain where I live in Florida and TONS of allergens in the air. She said the trauma of the surgery could have irritated the lungs at first (which it did, like you all have said) but the fact that I was already diagnosed with activity induced asthma years ago is evidence that I'm just having a hard time with the allergens right now.

Good to know! I've got a new inhaler and I already am breathing easier and coughing less than when i went to see her today!

You have so many surgeries you start to think everything is associated with the surgery lol...
            Last edited by peachrush7; 06-15-2011, 05:35 PM.
            Rebecca
            Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
            wore night bending brace as teenager
            Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
            herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
            fusion L2-3 November 2008
            Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
            Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
            Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
            gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
            Before and After X-rays
            My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Glad you got that all worked out! The allergens have been terrible the last couple years. Everyone I know with allergies has had more issues than normal. And people who have never had signs of allergies are coming up with symptoms. My hubby is selling LOTS of allergy related meds... Glad you are breathing easier!!!
              Jenee'-52
              Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
              Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
              I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
              9 hours
              T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
              Non-fusion
              Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

allergy shots for a 69 year old-newly discovered reactive airway disease

As I have written earlier on the forum I have reduced pulomonary function from years of chest deformity and then a thoracic approach for the revision which disrupts breathing muscles. The last year or so I noticed breathing was "more work" at times-a scary feeling. My pulmomologist says my testing shows stable pulmonary function- but small airway irritibility. I tried all sorts of relief: more exercising, Pilates and Rolfing. In the meantime I noticed I breathed better in some environments than others. It even varied from one room in the house to another. After I noticed this I reported it to my pulmonary. She referred me to an allergist. Testing showed I was very allergic to mold, dust mite and tree pollen. I did have a musty smell in the house which was getting worse.
                Testing showed I had a severe mold issue in my house from groundwater seepage behind the drywall in the finished basement. Tree pollen this year was terrible and dust is everywhere. Allergy shots were recommended since no medication really helped the breathing. I have been getting them for 6 months and I am feeling much better.
                I wouldn't dismiss allergy issues with breathing without a thorough medical evaluation.. I never wheezed or coughed just feelt chest tightness.
                Never had the problem as a kid.

My home is undergoing an extensive remediation/waterproofing. I also got a UV-C air filter in my air circulation system.
                Last edited by Karen Ocker; 06-15-2011, 02:03 PM.
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
                X