reading curves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reading curves

In 2008, Dr. Wood at MGH read my thoracic curves as 35 degrees and 39 degrees.
    In 2009 thru 2011 Dr. Rand read my thoracic curves as 40 degrees and 47 degrees. There was no progression according to Dr. Rand from '09-'11

I know curves can fluctuate 5 or so degrees. I'm not sure which method each doctor used if there are different methods for reading curves.

Does this seem like it's accurate progression?

Thanks for reading
    Christina
    Christina
    Age 31

Wore a brace as a teen but my double thoracic curves progressed.
    Had surgery on 6/29/11 with Dr. Rand at NEBH
    Curves improved from 45 and 50 degrees to mid 20s.

Hi...

I suspect what Dr. Rand was telling you is that there has not been a clinically significant progression of your curves. That's good news. I assume he told you that he'd like to monitor you every year or so.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Is it possible two surgeons could read the same xray differently?

I'm trying to establish progression.
      Christina
      Age 31

Wore a brace as a teen but my double thoracic curves progressed.
      Had surgery on 6/29/11 with Dr. Rand at NEBH
      Curves improved from 45 and 50 degrees to mid 20s.

Comment

Hi, that happened to me once. One doctor told me my curve was 48degress (he did it manually using a ruler and a pencil) and another doctor measured my curve and told me its 60degress (he measured it using a computer software). I guess its just how they measured it. Starting from which most displaced and rotated vertebrae to the least. I had no idea which one was right, but my curve looked pretty bad so the second doctor was right since he measured it in a more accurate way. How did your doctor measure your curves? Hope its the smaller number.

Comment

Hi, that happened to me once. One doctor told me my curve was 48degress (he did it manually using a ruler and a pencil) and another doctor measured my curve and told me its 60degress (he measured it using a computer software). I guess its just how they measured it. Starting from which most displaced and rotated vertebrae to the least. I had no idea which one was right, but my curve looked pretty bad so the second doctor was right since he measured it in a more accurate way. How did your doctor measure your curves? Hope its the smaller number.

Comment

Originally posted by chmesh View Post
            Is it possible two surgeons could read the same xray differently?

I'm trying to establish progression.
            It's not only possible, it's probable, especially if one surgeon has a lot more experience than the other.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

This is why its always nice to have dated copies of your x-rays in your possession. You can look at these and see the progression yourself. If you switch surgeons as the years pass, they always appreciate an older dated x-ray. Hang on to those suckers!

My curves held for many years. The curve pattern progressed in my 40s. This of course is my experience and everyone is different. Curves can hold, or progress like wildfire.

Cherry, you will do just fine. Post when you can.
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

that's a good question, especially for people like me who have trouble accepting diagnosis and tend to second guess my own decisions. i am fortunate to have xrays from 1980 (after car accident) as well as 2005 and 2011. The first dr. measured with ruler and said the 1980 showed about 8 degrees, yes, very mild. he also measured the 2011 and said upper was 58* lower approx 59*.
                The other two doctors didn't measure, they looked at the curve, the progression on all 3, the slippage of vertabrae occuring. First and third doctor said yes, definitley progressing, need surgery sooner rather than later. The second gave no opinion, simply it was a matter ofquality of life decision for me, but if i wanted it, this is what he would do.
                so...what do I ask? yes pain has been getting worse, I try different things, but maybe even more/different exercise?
                I have scheduled surgery for mid july...
                Does it ever stabilize itself after curving so much?
                Judy
                60 years old
                double 60 degree curves
                being fused Oct 19, 2011
                T4 to sacrum
                Dr. Boachie

Comment

Hi Judy

The 1980 x-rays were 31 years ago so wouldn’t really count. Your 2005 and 2011 x-rays are the ones they will take a good look at.

If you made a decision and have set a date, you must be in pain....we are familiar with that. (smiley face)

In answering your question about stabilizing, after you are fused, that area will be de-rotated, straightened (usually 50%) and stabilized.

If you are to be operated on here in mid July, the recovery will basically be all about walking. Walk, walk and more walking.....

Welcome to the forum
                  Keep posting, ask away.
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

thanks Ed for info
                    ...ahem, a stupid question: has there ever been a case of scoliosis over 50* correcting itself without surgery? Through exercise, acupuncture, etc?

I have pain now but have modified my activity enough to still be ok, not as active but certainly not immobilized. Some people would say I am quite active, most don't know I have a problem. Generally, I just go for it (dancing, hiking, touring), hurt throughout but still go with more breaks than before, finally stop and lay down/some light meds, and go again. Yes, pain can now include more 'shooting' than experienced before, and more sciactica pain (but most people get that, yes?).

Am I in denial that if I just find the 'right' exercise I will feel fine and there will be no progression?

I am so trying to overcome my fear of the surgery.
                    Judy
                    60 years old
                    double 60 degree curves
                    being fused Oct 19, 2011
                    T4 to sacrum
                    Dr. Boachie

Comment

Originally posted by judyat60 View Post
                      thanks Ed for info
                      ...ahem, a stupid question: has there ever been a case of scoliosis over 50* correcting itself without surgery? Through exercise, acupuncture, etc?

I have pain now but have modified my activity enough to still be ok, not as active but certainly not immobilized. Some people would say I am quite active, most don't know I have a problem. Generally, I just go for it (dancing, hiking, touring), hurt throughout but still go with more breaks than before, finally stop and lay down/some light meds, and go again. Yes, pain can now include more 'shooting' than experienced before, and more sciactica pain (but most people get that, yes?).

Am I in denial that if I just find the 'right' exercise I will feel fine and there will be no progression?

I am so trying to overcome my fear of the surgery.
                      Hi Judy...

Some people, who have worked very hard at it, have gotten SOME correction without surgery. My belief is that these relatively small corrections are essentially temporary, in that they will return to the original degree (or worse) when the treatment is discontinued.

On another subject, if your leg pain doesn't go away after a few months, I would recommend that you seriously consider surgery. Radicular pain can become permanent nerve damage if left uncorrected for too long.

Regards,
                      Linda

Comment

Linda,

How do you know if radicular pain is in danger of becoming permanent nerve damage?

I have had leg pain (sciatica) on and off since December, but Dr. Lenke seemed to think it was okay to wait until next March for my surgery. Just don't want to wait too long and this become permanent!

Thanks,
                        Evelyn
                        age 48
                        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

hi judy
                          welcome to the forum...

yup, sounds like denial to me....
                          i haven't had surgery...yet...
                          but even i do not believe exercise would do much good as far as changing the curves...
                          i do think exercise might help in terms of body conditioning and pain...but not in changing the curves...

of course, i am just a lay person, so it is my opinion, and nothing else...
                          well, actually it is also my experience as a scoli person...
                          also, as a social worker, it kinda sounds like classic denial....

that said, you do sound really active to me...
                          my pain is such that i am not anywhere near active...

again, welcome...
                          you are in the right place...
                          and many here have had successful surgery, so i hope you find both information and support on this forum...

jess

Comment

thanks all for responses, i feel with surgery scheduled for mid July (a good time in my life if I have to do it, but also know I can always cancel), I am frantically looking for affirmation.
                            I've always had some pain which was increasing in past few years. My pain has increased even more in the last few months, yet on a trip to southeast asia in March, with Aleve and xanax once a day, I felt great. Was it the slow paced moving, the sitting and standing switches, the relaxed time, the heat??? I could live like that forever. But why all the pain now? Am I doing something wrong...like living a more 'normal' life that does it?
                            Even with the pain, it is the possibility that it will continue to get worse that frightens me. At 60, I don't have a wide window to count the degrees until the magic number. I'm 58* now.
                            sigh....
                            Judy
                            Judy
                            60 years old
                            double 60 degree curves
                            being fused Oct 19, 2011
                            T4 to sacrum
                            Dr. Boachie

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                              Linda,

How do you know if radicular pain is in danger of becoming permanent nerve damage?

I have had leg pain (sciatica) on and off since December, but Dr. Lenke seemed to think it was okay to wait until next March for my surgery. Just don't want to wait too long and this become permanent!

Thanks,
                              Evelyn
                              Hi Evelyn...

I think that when the pain becomes constant and does not subside when you change positions (for example, from standing to sitting), there's a danger that permanent damage has occurred.

--Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X