Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A curious question.

Curious!!!!!!
    I'm asking if anyone else out there has had the following experience. The last 2 or 3 weeks since my surgery my joints seem to crack and pop like never before. I am quite active, but cautious considering my condition. What really concerns me~ sometimes, in spite of trying to use proper body mechanics I feel like I feel it happening in the tailbone and middle back areas. This may be my imagination, because, I am so afraid I might dislodge some of the hardware. Thanks for any input~
    Gayle
    Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
    Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

My lower back pops a lot more than it used to before surgery... It didn't really start doing it until I was pretty well healed and stopped being so stiff/cautious and nervous about proper body mechanics though...
    Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
    Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
    Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
    Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
    February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
    September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

My back popping sounds started in October..1 yr. 8 months post- op. Hmm? Where is Linda Racine when we need her? I know she will have an explanation. We are only accepting good news today...so keep that in mind when you reply. HA!

Gail

Comment

thanks guys`

Thanks alot for your quick responses. Your replies give me some peace of mind. Like everyone else, after one goes through this surgery and recovery proess, its not on the top of my priority list to repeat because of careless behavior.
        Gayle
        Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo

Comment

Hi...

Sorry I wasn't here earlier. I know that I've spoiled you into thinking I'm always available. ;-) (Actually, I have a good excuse. I was visiting a patient from out-of-town who had her surgery at UCSF on Thursday.)

While I've heard the same complaint of noise from patients before, I've never heard a doctor talk about this. So, I'm just guessing. Just like when you crack your knuckles, I believe that the noise comes from nitrogen gas being released from the joint space. If you're getting cracking from within the fusion area, I suspect that means you're getting movement there, which would be a problem since the joint won't fuse unless it can't move.

When I had my surgery, I was told to severely limit the movement of my back. The only exercise I was allowed for the first 6 mos. was walking. It seems that lately I've been hearing that some doctors are saying thta there shouldn't be a lot of limits. I don't have a clue if that's a good strategy or not.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks

Linda,

To the rescue again! What would we do without you! Perhaps you are right, you have really got us spoiled....:>) See my surgeon Tuesday, will pose the question to him, let you all know what I find out. Thanks so much.

The only real movement without my brace is in bed at night, I turn on to my side (as little as possible), try to adhere to the log rolling method they taught me in rehab. Anyone have any suggestions on this technique of subject.

Gayle
            Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo

Comment

Hi Gayle...

I don't know if it's the same thing, but for the past 2-3 years, when I first get in bed, I lay on my back until my back muscles have relaxed. (OUCH!) Then, when I turn to my side, it's uncomfortable until I move my hips a little. At that time, I get a lot of cracking in my lower back, below my fusion. It actually feels like it's my S-I joints. I worry that I'm making trouble for myself in the future, but I really can't get comfortable until I make that adjustment.

I'll definitely be curious to hear what your doctor says.

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi, gayle...your popping question is timely; i noticed just last week that when i take a deep breath (which isn't all that easy or often), my spine occasionally pops between my shoulder blades! i'm fused from t3 to s1, so i didn't expect any noise back there, so i suppose the joints above t3 are the culprits. when i was x-ray'd thursday all looked fine and dandy. i'm looking forward to hearing what your dr. says about your progress...
                Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
                T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
                Fused T3 - S1
                Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
                Dr. Robert G. Viere
                North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

Another thing it could be is your ribs popping. I'm fused from T2 to L1, and frequently get that sort of popping... Somebody I spoke to suggested it could be ribs moving in and out of alignment.....
                  Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
                  Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
                  Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
                  Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
                  February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
                  September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

I just asked my physical therapist that same question! I didn't start getting the popping noises until I started physical therapy. He said that it was a good sign. He said that with my muscles and stuff starting to loosen up and the swelling going down that you start to get more room for things to move around. He said (in my case) things have been so jammed together that as I get more room inside things are rubbing against each other causing the popping sounds. As the swellling goes down and the muscles loosen up more I should hear less of the noise. I wasn't allowed to do any type of stretching or exercising (besides daily moving around) except walking until a month ago which was 7 months post op.
                    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                    Fused T2 to sacrum
                    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Dr's response to curious ?

Hi Guys,
                      I would like to thank everyone for your input. Had my 6 week appointment with my surgeon and his answer was: The popping and cracking is caused by the structural changes in my frame. My surgery changed my physical center of gravity and the popping and cracking is the joints response to these changes. He was not concerned and said there was no set time on how long it could last. My x-ray showed that all the hardware is in place and everything looks fine. His answer put my mind at ease, and since my surgery experience I trust him explicitly.
                      Gayle
                      Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo

Comment

That's great news...thanks for sharing.

Gail

Comment

Working...
                        X