blood clots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blood clots

I was wondering if blood clots have been common for some people after surgery. I have two genetic mutations that make me prone to getting a clot. I've never had one though, but my sister did and that's how we found out. I told Dr. Rand about the mutation and we discussed blood thinners after surgery. Could a clot happen while the surgery was going on? I've heard of people walking after surgery and getting an aneurysm.

Thanks, Christina
    Christina
    Age 31

Wore a brace as a teen but my double thoracic curves progressed.
    Had surgery on 6/29/11 with Dr. Rand at NEBH
    Curves improved from 45 and 50 degrees to mid 20s.

You'll be loaded up with heparin on a regular basis, and in addition to that, you may get the leg massage thingies too. I had both for the 4 days I was in the hospital. Heparin burns when it goes in from what I remember.
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

I developed a clot in my left leg(varicosities) after one of my surgeries even though I had been tested negative for your type of clotting profile. It is very importanrt to keep moving after surgery. For that reason I suggest hiring a private nurse who has the time to get you out of bed for a little walk every so often. The unit nurses are usually too busy with very sick patients to do this.
      I never noticed heparin or any other blood thinner I had to cause pain on injection but maybe I was too doped up!!!
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I was given Heparin into my lower stomach daily. Sometimes it didn't hurt, others it did. I think sometimes they hit a nerve.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
        X