2-week post-op update (kyphosis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-week post-op update (kyphosis)

Hi guys. Figured you might enjoy watching my latest update. I am going to be making a video every few weeks. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w50gE0IGIXE

Thanks for the video, you look terrific! I hear you, about the caffeine. I plan on having a coffee IV drip to avoid the withdrawal headache! You mentioned buying a new chair. What did you find to be the most comfortable for you? Also, did they start giving you meds, right away, to try to prevent the awful abdominal pain/constipation? I am thinking I will smuggle my own stash, just in case!
    You are right, this is the most extreme surgery a person could have, and look at you, 2 weeks post-op. Amazing!! Keep up the good work, keep chilling, reading, and enjoying the beautiful weather (and the drug induced euphoria!)
    Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
    T54/L72
    Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
    Gained 2 inches!
    Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
    12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
    Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Thanks for the update

Thanks so much for all of your communications! I am scheduled to have surgery on
      July 12,2011 and it really helps me to have such "real time" information. I will certainly have my family watch the videos and read your posts prior to the big day. Best wishes for a continued positive progression.

Nan
      Age 53
      Thoracolumbar 53 degrees
      Surgery date 7/12/2011
      University of Utah Medical Center
      Michael Daubs MD

Comment

Originally posted by Lorz View Post
        Thanks for the video, you look terrific! I hear you, about the caffeine. I plan on having a coffee IV drip to avoid the withdrawal headache! You mentioned buying a new chair. What did you find to be the most comfortable for you? Also, did they start giving you meds, right away, to try to prevent the awful abdominal pain/constipation? I am thinking I will smuggle my own stash, just in case!
        You are right, this is the most extreme surgery a person could have, and look at you, 2 weeks post-op. Amazing!! Keep up the good work, keep chilling, reading, and enjoying the beautiful weather (and the drug induced euphoria!)
        As for the chair, I got a very nice office style on from OfficeMax with lumbar support and the mesh seats etc. It was a few hundred $s..but worth it. I almost bought a Herman Miller chair actually (I knew them from the record studios that often had them) but they are way too expensive ($600-800)...but worth it, yes...I think it is important to get a chair with good lumbar support. The new chair I have also has a headrest and mesh seats which are just great. They are made for long term sitting..great for us lol...though I do get up and walk a LOT..important..

As for the abdominal stuff, yeah they pretty much are going to give you tons of Senna and Colace, or something similar..it will work, but I am just warning you I was NOT prepared for the discomfort. I hit my belly and it sounded like a balloon. I was just so full of gas and stuff, it hurt! But it did go away.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thank you for sharing. Your a very intelligent and handsome young man. I am so happy for you now that you have the body that you were intended to have. Enjoy

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

At the hospital, I bought a dressing stick, a grabber, and a tool to help put on socks. Perhaps these would help with the dressing situation. At first, I was too tired to use the sock tool but, once I mastered it, I can put on socks almost as quickly as I did before. I still do not have permission to bend, twist, or lift heavy objects so I'll continue to use the tools.

Wishing you a continued smooth recovery!

Comment

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to make your videos. These will be of great help to those facing surgery, particularly for kyphosis.

I'm very happy you're recovering so well. Keep up the good work!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
              X