PDA

View Full Version : 6 months postop

junosand
05-03-2011, 05:40 PM
had my 6 month postop visit in st. louis; as i was told beforehand, i saw one of the fellows (Dr Rahman), will see Dr Lenke at 1 yr f/u; xrays were taken and showed good healing with resolution of curves; i have no pain; my energy level has very slowly improved as has my balance; the weakness in my left quad is gone and i climb stairs without reaching for a railing or tiring; lower back still a little numb; foot drop almost resolved; biggest negative is the loss of flexibility: can put on my socks but it's at the end of my stretch, have to fold my legs under me to clip my toenails; about to test it all in a few wks when my wife and i take a 10 day trip to the Galapagos Islands which will involve a lot of hiking

mgs
05-03-2011, 06:01 PM
What a good report!! It sounds like a great trip. . .and I'll be interested to here how it all went, when you return. A trip w/significant hiking involved. . .you're braver than I am (but I'm pretty un-brave). Have a wonderful time!

golfnut
05-03-2011, 06:47 PM
I am glad you had a good 6 month report. I had been wondering how you were doing since we haven't heard from you lately. Have you started physical therapy?

JenniferG
05-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Congrats Junosand. Enjoy your trip. I hiked up and down mountains on Tioman Island (off the East Coast of Malaysia) with a backpack, right on 6 months post-op, snorkled as well, and it was fine.

It sounds like some minor problems are fixing themselves and I have every reason to believe they will improve much more in the next six months. I thought I was as good as it got at 6 months, but at 12 months I was much better, most particularly, my flexibility. Then at 2 years, my flexibility was even better. It's all looking rosy for you now!

titaniumed
05-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Good report.

It took me 2 years to get over the fatigue at age 51. I was 90% at 12 months, and another year for the last 10%. Using these figures, you still have plenty of improvement coming.

The Galapagos islands is every divers dream..... I have been all over South America on many trips through the 60s and 70s, but we never made it to the Galapagos. Should be an outstanding trip.....

Have fun, careful walking on the lava.
Ed

Doodles
05-04-2011, 12:16 AM
Another great report. I'd say you are doing fantastically for 6 months. Enjoy your hiking vacation but plan some rest too. Janet

loves to skate
05-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Junosand,
Congratulations on a successful recovery. It takes older folks a lot longer to gain our stamina back. Mine took three years to return. Have a wonderful trip, but try not to over do.
Sally

backissues
05-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the update. I was concerned that all was well when there were no postings for some time.

Congratulations on your 6 mo. post-op report.

Have a great trip!!

Confusedmom
05-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Glad to hear you're doing well! And BTW, took your advice and scheduled with Dr. Lenke myself.

:),
Evelyn

junosand
05-05-2011, 07:06 PM
glad to hear it, ConfusedMom; at least for me, dr lenke does not recommend formal PT after you return home; at the 6 week followup, he told me i could workout on my own with no restrictions other than to use general good judgment and not overdo it

thanks for all the replies; it's particularly encouraging to hear that many continue to improve up to 2-3 yrs postop; one can always hope

peachrush7
05-06-2011, 06:49 PM
glad to hear you're doing so well! getting away from the house after months of being stuck there lifted my spirits. we went down to west palm last week, and just being somewhere else was amazing.

hope you have a great trip!!!!