PDA

View Full Version : Swimsuit Shopping NOT painful

golfnut
04-21-2011, 08:33 PM
I know this is a trivial post, BUT for the first time in at least 20 years, I was estatic that it was a good experience when checking out a new swimsuit in three
way mirrors. In the past, it made me want to cry. Granted, I am 60 years old and no one is going to drool over my body, but I will not be embarassed to be seen by people I know in a swimsuit. (In the past, I only went swimming on vacations. ) I still can't believe that my rib hump is gone as well as having even shoulders and a straight back. Thank you, Dr. Lenke!

Happy Easter to all of my scoli friends!

LindaRacine
04-21-2011, 11:18 PM
I know this is a trivial post, BUT for the first time in at least 20 years, I was estatic that it was a good experience when checking out a new swimsuit in three
way mirrors. In the past, it made me want to cry. Granted, I am 60 years old and no one is going to drool over my body, but I will not be embarassed to be seen by people I know in a swimsuit. (In the past, I only went swimming on vacations. ) I still can't believe that my rib hump is gone as well as having even shoulders and a straight back. Thank you, Dr. Lenke!

Happy Easter to all of my scoli friends!
Hi Karen...

I'm really happy for you. It may seem trivial in comparison to things like stopping the progression and helping with pain, but the pain of body image issues is very real. :)

--Linda

Elisa
04-21-2011, 11:30 PM
I think it's wonderful that you feel so good about shopping for a bathing suit. I just said to Elias earlier that he can now wear those little tight T-shirts like the Puerto Rican boys do, lol.

JenniferG
04-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Good news, Karen! Enjoy!

golfnut
04-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Elisa,
I just now went to Eliah's blog. How wonderful he looks! You both have to be excited that he is doing so well.

sarahcant
04-22-2011, 08:55 AM
So not trivial Karen! Ive lost weight with this surgery plus a straight back without having to hide my entire back? priceless!!! Sometimes just focusing on those things keeps me going thru the pain and aggravation of this whole process I CANT WAIT TO GO SHOPPING! You go girl!!! Happy shopping and mirror watching to you...and happy easter, spring and anything else that makes you happy!

Sarahcant
march 15 nyu dr errico
t-5 c-1

ps how do you guys have all the info come up on the bottom of your posts?

Elisa
04-22-2011, 09:32 AM
ps how do you guys have all the info come up on the bottom of your posts?
Sarah, to make a signature with your personal info, go to the top right of the forum page, click on 'settings' then look over to the left side of the screen and click on 'edit settings' and then type in what you want as your signature.

Lilysaidwhat
04-22-2011, 10:04 AM
I always wore bikinis anyway (I was long-waisted even with my curvature) but didn't have a....dent, I guess?.... in my back, and didn't care about my rib hump.

HOWEVER what I have found post-op is that my work dresses which used to fit are now too loose. I had to accommodate a wider girth for the rib hump, and now that it's gone, I've got to drop to a 6 from an 8. And I do look more lithe and thin with a flat back. There is still a slight lower curve but I like having it. :) I know. I am weird.

Enjoy shopping! I'm off to buy a new bikini for the summer online. I'm too cheap to buy bathing suits in stores.

Confusedmom
04-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Swimsuit shopping without grimacing--the stuff dreams are made of!!

:),
Evelyn

backissues
04-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Enjoy your new body! That's great. I know I am looking in the mirror and see a straight, lean body. I lost about 8-10 pounds and have kept it off. I can't wait to see what I look like in a bathing suit. I'm not sure how I will pull it up but that is what a dressing stick is for.

Best,
Irene

Lilysaidwhat
04-23-2011, 09:31 AM
My husband told me last night that I'm too thin b/c my ribs are more prominent. I said, "is it that I'm too thin or that America is generally fat?" I think that's the case - in the 1970s I'd be just right. I'm not gaining weight to accommodate being an inch taller.

sarahcant
04-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Irene...what is a dressing stick? Its sounds like the answer to my problems! and can you tell me where to buy one?

thanks

sarahcant

backissues
04-23-2011, 03:43 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Duro-Med-27-Dressing-Aid-Stick/dp/B0009STNQ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1303587675&sr=1-1

This is a photo of a dressing stick. The end that looks like a clothes hook helps when you want to hold the legs of pants open so you can put your legs in without bending over. This end also helps to take socks off. The hook can be used to pull up pants or like a grabber kind of thing. Hope this helps. I'm not suggesting you order from Amazon. It was a good place to get a photo.

sarahcant
04-23-2011, 04:38 PM
thanks so much! I ordered it already and Im glad you showed me where to get it from!! Have a great holiday

ShariMSU
04-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Hi Karen! What a great post. Congrats on the fun experience. I too have always dreaded swimsuit shopping, you make me excited to get out there and find the perfect one without cringing.
Happy summer!!

lray
04-25-2011, 06:58 PM
So not trivial Karen! Ive lost weight with this surgery plus a straight back without having to hide my entire back? priceless!!! Sometimes just focusing on those things keeps me going thru the pain and aggravation of this whole process

I so agree! In addition to having virtually no rib hump and no disfigured waistline, I have also lost almost 20 pounds since my surgery. I cannot wait to try on swimsuits too. I had to buy a rather ugly one last year because most suits wouldn't hang right on me. And I can't wait to show my battle scar - I bet my long scar will turn heads this year!

golfnut
04-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Laurie: I like your term of "battle scar". It will be fine with me when it fades, but I'm almost proud of it now. It takes guts to have any type of surgery, especially when one has to make the decision to "go for it".

All of my friends know how much I love to play golf and give me sympathy, but I don't want it and refuse to let myself have any self pity over missing a year of golf. It's not like I have a terminal disease. I am happy with my "new body" and know that I will eventually be back on the course playing. For now, I'm walking the course and will soon chip and putt. By having the surgery, maybe I'll be able to still play golf at age 90 like my dad! Scoliosis surgery is a little break in one's normal life, but eventually we all hope it's for the best.

Thanks, all, for your replies.

chmesh
05-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Not trivial at all! I'm happy for you! I went bathing suit shopping before my honeymoon and almost cried. It was really painful to feel so deformed while I was supposed to be celebrating. I had to psych myself up for it

-Christina

Susie*Bee
05-14-2011, 04:37 PM
I bought a new one this spring -- first time in about 20 years. Ha ha! Now that's something. It helps to lose a bunch of weight on top of getting a straight back! (Very big smile here.) Of course, it's just our own pool, so no one is really going to see me anyway... but it was fun trying them on and NOT being appalled. :D

golfnut
05-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Good for you, Susie! Only other ex-scolis understand!

Cimbom
06-20-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm happy for you Susie and really understand where you're coming from. I had my surgery at the age of 23 and never wore a proper swimsuit (except for when I was like 6 to 8 years old) because I was way too self conscious to even consider it.

I got married at the start of this year and wore a dress with a bodice that sat on my hips because I was so excited that they were finally straight! I'm looking forward to buying my first two-piece swimsuit in a few months :)

Susie*Bee
06-21-2011, 08:02 AM
That sounds fun, Cimbom! And how exciting to be a newlywed! I'm approaching anniversary #39! :) Karen, you made a lot of us share in the emotional delight of trying on swimsuits rather than the dread it formerly brought, when you started this thread. Thanks.