costoplasty pain or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• costoplasty pain or not?

Im 6mths post-op today and the pain in the area I had my costoplasty just doesnt seem to be easing (dont know how long it takes to heal) and I dont know if it is costoplasty pain or pain one would feel from a fusion anyway.
    I had a thoracic curve corrected and the rib hump was in that area too.

Its just so uncomfortable all the time and by the evening the tightness and pulling is overwhelming.
    I am over the moon at the results of my costoplasty but I do have 1 rib which still protrudes slightly and it is incredibly tender.

Am I expecting too much at 6mths? I know that I have done incredibly well in my recovery but I feel like ive come to a stand still and everyday now I get up and nothings changed.
    Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

I assume you're talking about what's called thoracoplasty (rib removal) in the States?

It's a very painful procedure and I felt very tight and sore with pulling and tenderness in that area for almost a year. I still have tenderness even now, but it's very manageable. At six months I still felt very raw from this procedure. It takes time and patience to heal from this. Ice packs helped a lot.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Sorry-I forgot its called a Thoroplasty in the States.

Thanks for your reply as I have found not many people have had this procedure so its difficult to know how much pain I should be having.I feel a little better now that I know its normal for it to feel so uncomfortable still.

I had 6 ribs cut in half and this did reduce my 'hump' dramaticaly but ive not had the nerve to ask my surgeon why I have 1 rib still protruding as I dont want to appear ungrateful! Im wondering if he felt it would have ended up looking too flat.

I was fused T2-L4 so I guess I need to remind myself that I did have a lot of work done.

Comment

I had the thoracoplasty done as well, 5 ribs were cut. Yes, it's still tender but not painful. I knew upfront that it would take time to heal but it's taking time for my fusion to heal as well, so I don't worry about it. I hope that you start feeling better soon. People are always reminding me that it's only been almost 7 months for me for such a horrendous surgery, so I have to be patient and let my body mend. Take care.
        Laurie
        Age 57
        Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
        Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
        Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
        Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
        Dr Munish Gupta
        UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Thanks Laurie :-)
          Its just so hard to be patient sometimes!

Today I feel as if I have a knife digging under my shoulder blade and I dont know if this is from my costoplasty or my fusion.

I have been in touch with my surgeons secretary as I feel as if I could do with some physio therapy to strengthen my muscles.

Comment

How is your ribs now? I understand this post is old but I want opinions as I am considering a standalone costoplasty after my fusion is complete.

Comment

Originally posted by peezbabe View Post
              How is your ribs now? I understand this post is old but I want opinions as I am considering a standalone costoplasty after my fusion is complete.
              Just happen to have a brief visit here and saw this.
              I get occasional twinging in my ribs and a feeling similar to stitch if I overdo things but generally they aren't a problem and I'm still very glad I had the costoplasty simply because of the confidence it's given me. It's worth having done to be able to lean against a chair and lie down comfortably. I know somebody who had it done as a stand alone procedure after their fusion didn't correct their hump at all and although the pain was very intense initially it is short lived. I would say go for it, I don't know anybody whose had a costoplasty and regretted it.

Comment

Working...
              X