PDA

View Full Version : sacroiliac joint injections

jrnyc
04-19-2011, 11:43 AM
just came back from new ortho guy..surgeon and pain treatment both...in CT...which surprises me, since i am used to one doctor doing either one thing or the other....got sacroiliac joint injections...had them once before, and they gave me 3 beautiful pain free weeks...the only injections that ever did that for my lumbar region! no idea why, doesn't even make sense, which the doc today said...but, he is pretty game, and i like him, so we gave it a try...

i have been in so much pain lately...all lumbar, as the botox shots i got in upper spine a month ago work to free my thoracic spine of muscle spasms....

hope this helps relieve some of the lower back pain...for a while...
can't think past that for now....

jess

JenniferG
04-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Me too Jess. Hope they last a long, long time.

jrnyc
04-19-2011, 06:57 PM
thanks, Jen, for the kind wishes!

the novacaine wore off completely about 4 hours after the injections...and the spots injected feel kinda sore, which is to be expected....
my entire back feels sensitive to touch, and i am black and blue where the needles went in (both sides), but do not have as much lumbar pain as usual...so i have hope that these shots will help
the left side really hurt when he injected it, while the right side didn't hurt at all...doctor couldn't figure out why...said SI joints are not close to my spinal stenosis...i asked if it is because my left side scoli curve is worse than right, but he said my SI joints are not close to my scoli curves...only thing he could think was that i have more arthritis in left side of spine than in the right side...

jess

Pooka1
04-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Jess I hope these work for a very long time.

How long ago did you get the previous set of SI shots?

jrnyc
04-19-2011, 07:12 PM
hi Sharon
thanks for the kind words...

i had the other SI shots at least a year and a half ago...
keeping fingers crossed this time gives as much relief...longer than 3 weeks would be a nice plus!

jess

Pooka1
04-19-2011, 07:28 PM
hi Sharon
thanks for the kind words...

i had the other SI shots at least a year and a half ago...
keeping fingers crossed this time gives as much relief...longer than 3 weeks would be a nice plus!

jess

Are you only allowed to get them every 1.5 years or so? I guess since they worked last time I'm wondering why you didn't repeat them.

loves to skate
04-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Jess,
I hope these shots give you a long pain free length length of time.
Sally

jrnyc
04-19-2011, 07:49 PM
hey Sharon...i tried a few other type of shots in between...the 3 weeks thing put me..and the doctors...off a little...but nothing else ever gave me such complete relief...even just for 3 weeks! and it doesn't make sense...because looking at Xrays, MRI's, etc...so many other types of shots seem indicated...but by now, i was so disappointed in the other shots, i was ready to return to the SI joint injections...

hey Sally...thanks for the good wishes...
i thought of you these past few days when they showed that awful weather in North Carolina (and other states)...hope you and family were well away from all of it!!

jess

Pooka1
04-19-2011, 07:59 PM
Jess when will you know if the shots are working?

jrnyc
04-19-2011, 08:17 PM
i usually know in a few days...though the doctor's office info sheet said it could be "up to a week," that has not been my own experience....on the other hand, i am not usually this sore from injections!

jess

jrnyc
04-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Sharon, i am so sorry i forgot that you live in NC too, and so glad that you're safe! i feel so bad for those who were hit by these tragic weather episodes!

i am surprised that my thoracic spine..lower right ribs, bottom of ribs, has increased pain now...this is new...botox usually kills all upper spinal muscle spasms for me...the pain doc doesn't inject where my ribs/muscles are hurting right now, as most of my thoracic spasms are on left side near scapula

am wondering if this is in reaction to the SI joint injections i just got on Tuesday...those shots are helping my lumbar pain...so definitely was worth it!

i do not know what helps lower rib pain, as it is new to me...
and i cant have any more thoracic botox shots for another month or so...

jess

JenniferG
04-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Oh no Jess. You don't need a new pain. I suppose you've tried all the usual treatments (heat, ice, etc.) I hope it fixes itself soon.

jrnyc
04-21-2011, 08:19 PM
thanks, Jen
am trying a hot shower and then a heating pad...feels tight, like it needs to be relaxed...
never had it happen there before...
but it wouldn't stop me from getting shots again...these latest are helping the lumbar pain...

jess

JenniferG
04-21-2011, 11:40 PM
I hope the heat does the trick Jess. Do think it feels muscular?

jrnyc
04-22-2011, 01:24 AM
thanks Jen
it does feel muscular...i hope that is all it is...
heat seems to help a little

jess

JenniferG
04-22-2011, 04:06 AM
I hope so Jess. If so, it should come good with rest and time. Take it easy.

jrnyc
04-22-2011, 04:10 AM
your concern and kindness is always appreciated, Jen..
thank you!

jess

jrnyc
06-29-2011, 11:23 PM
well, the sacroiliac joint shots have just started to slowly wear off...lasted a few weeks beyond 2 month mark, and the relief to lumbar area has been wonderful...they are the ONLY shots that have ever helped relieve pain in lumbar area at all!...
i may make it to 3 months...i have an appt with doc who did them July 6th, for follow up...can't get in sooner...and that date we should be able to schedule another round of the SI joint injections....i do not want to give the lumbar area pain the chance to get really bad again....

i got my botox shots in upper back June 22nd....to relieve thoracic spasms....

i cannot begin to explain how very grateful i am that the SI joint injections for lumbar pain help...NOTHING else did...and i tried a whole lotta shots!

i am afraid i might "jinx" it if i say it again....

jess

loves to skate
06-30-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm glad something works for you Jess. Life is not much fun when you are in constant pain. Sally

jrnyc
07-01-2011, 07:26 PM
hey Sally
thanks...you are so right!

i hope you are pain free and enjoying your new home in North Carolina...

wishing you a wonderful summer!
jess...and Sparky

Pooka1
07-04-2011, 09:08 PM
So Jess, can you do these shots every few months form now on? That would be very good. And it seems you have solved the thoracic spasms already with the Botox shots.

So you would have a narcotic free, pain-free situation. That would be ideal.

Sharon

jrnyc
07-07-2011, 05:19 AM
hey Sharon
saw doc today....earliest appt i can get for SI joint shots is August 9th, unless someone cancels...
interesting...doc will be gone for 2 weeks...he is speaking in...Norway, i think he said...on minimally invasive scoli surgery that he does here in US...he knows Lonner and he knows Anand...

the shots do not relieve all pain....shots of botox in thoracic area relieve about 65% of upper back pain...SI joint injections relieve about 80% of lower back pain...which i am beyond grateful for, as nothing else relieved that pain, and it is the worst back pain i have ever had...
i can get the SI joint shots about very 3 months or so...same for botox...
all the shots combined greatly reduce the amount of oral pain meds i need....do not eliminate the need completely, though...but i am MOST grateful for any relief i can get!!!

hope your 4th was great...
jess