broken rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken rod

Well, I finally found out what has been causing my pain. I have a broken rod near the bottom on my left side. There is , also, quite a large area of non fusion. So now I have to figure out when I should go and get this surgery done. I am in the middle of packing and am leaving Monday to go to CA to look for a house. I will have three major surgeries in one year.

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Well, I know it really may not seem like it, but I think this is actually a good thing! I'm actually really glad they have pinpointed a problem that they can fix and maybe that will relieve you of your pain (post-recovery, of course). I hope you are seeing a surgeon who specializes in revision. I am not so sure about your previous surgeon. You deserve to get better--and soon!!

Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Do you think that I should wait and have it done in CA? Is fixing a broken rod considered revision surgery?

Comment

i agree with what Ev wrote...
        at least you finally know what is causing all your pain!
        it is rotten luck...but at least it is clear what needs to be done next...
        i am shocked no doctor figured it out sooner!
        i hope it can be fixed quickly after you move....
        there are some great scoli surgeons in CA!

i wrote at he same time that you did...so i just saw your post about waiting....
        i just assumed that you would wait, since it is easy to find good scoli doctors in CA....
        i thought it would be easier to find a good one there than where you are living now...
        it certainly sounds like a revision....unless they can call it a repair or correction....i would expect insurance must pay for it...

jess
        Last edited by jrnyc; 04-13-2011, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Yes, I think it's revision surgery. Also, you're almost a year out from the original surgery, so the areas of non-fusion are probably of concern--right?

You should probably pose this question to Linda. But if it were me I would want the best darn revision surgeon out there! (Even if that means waiting to go to CA.)

Best wishes,
          Evelyn
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Yes my original surgery was May 4th. Waiting until I get to CA would make my life easier not less painful just easier. I have 2 appts July 22 with Dr Robert Pashman and July 13 with Dr Samuel Bedermen. What do you suggest I do? I am planning on being out in CA the middle of June. SHould I call and tell them what has happened and see if they can get me in any earlier. Does anyone else suggest another doctor to see instead of these two? Should I go to more than one? I am so confused about this matter

Thanks for any advice you might have

Melissa

Comment

I don't have any advice for you Melissa, still new to all of this surgery stuff but I was curious to know how exactly you know you broke a rod and do you have any idea how this happened? I guess I'm just trying to prepare myself just in case my son has this happen later on, thanks. I hope you get everything back in order soon. Three major surgeries in a year is a lot.
              Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
              Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
              Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
              http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

are you interested in Dr Anand?...he is right near Dr. Pashman at Cedars Sinai Hospital....passed his office when i went to see Anand....

Anand only does minimally invasive procedure for all scoli surgery...that is what he told me when i saw him a year ago...he was very emphatic that in his opinion, no other procedure is justified in terms of trauma to muscles, etc...
                note...i am repeating what he told me, not saying it is medical fact....
                i went to see him to learn about lumbar minimally invasive approach, because at the time, several people on forum were writing that MI approach couldn't be done for lumbar scoli, which proved to be untrue...

best of luck in whatever you decide....

jess

Comment

I'm with confusedmom. I think it's great that you've finally found a reason for this terrible pain. Also shocked that it wasn't discovered sooner. You would think it would have been one of the first investigations. However, it sounds like getting away from your previous surgeon might be the best thing you could do, and finding a great revision surgeon is the next step. So far you have two lined up so that's great. I would definitely phone and see if, thanks to this latest news, they can fit you in sooner. It probably doesn't feel like it, but I think you're finally on the road to getting fixed. Good luck with the move.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by Elisa View Post
                    I don't have any advice for you Melissa, still new to all of this surgery stuff but I was curious to know how exactly you know you broke a rod and do you have any idea how this happened? I guess I'm just trying to prepare myself just in case my son has this happen later on, thanks. I hope you get everything back in order soon. Three major surgeries in a year is a lot.
                    I broke the rod either when I fell in January or because I did too much bending. The way I understand it is that the rod is strong enough to withstand a certain amount of bends and when you hit that amount you are supposed to be fused. Where it broke is the start of the area that did not fuse. I do not think the teens would have this problem.
                    Melissa

Comment

I do feel better knowing what the problem is. I do think that having my surgery in CA is a great solution to my packing and moving issue. I will call the doctors in CA today and see what can be done about getting an earlier appointment

Melissa

Comment

So sorry Melissa but agree that at least you know now.

Do you have titanium?
                        Female, age 38
                        4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                        currently 64*upper/40*lower
                        Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                        now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Originally posted by Lilysaidwhat View Post
                          So sorry Melissa but agree that at least you know now.

Do you have titanium?
                          Yes they are titanium. Is there something harder to use?

Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
                            Yes they are titanium. Is there something harder to use?

Melissa
                            I don't think they consider hardness but rather stress and strain properties which are related to hardness. Hopefully Ti Ed willl explain this as he is a materials wizard. :-)
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Yes, Ed should pop by and explain the different metals used in rods. He gave a great description a while ago but for the life of me I can't seem to find that post again and would love to hear what he has to say. :-)
                              Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                              Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                              Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                              http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Working...
                              X