PDA

View Full Version : Rescues + Hiking with Scoliosis

SearchRescueGuy
04-04-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm 26 and recently diagnosed with scoliosis because of a pelvic tilt / leg length discrepancy. My posture is not the best but you couldn't normally tell I have scoliosis. I've read alot of posts on this forum but I cant seem to find my answers. I've volunteered with sheriff search and rescue for many years now and I also work for the state park doing search and rescue. I have had back pain for years now.

My main question is:

If I continue to hike 3-10 miles a day with a 60 pound pack on my back doing rescues will my scoliosis progress in to some thing worse? If I continue what types of problems mite I face?

Thanks for all the great info on here.

titaniumed
04-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Welcome

Use a backpack that supports all the weight on your hips. I have posted on this before, if you wish I can dig it out.

Having backpack straps that pull down on your shoulders probably isnít a great idea....the shoulder straps should balance the pack, not support any weight.

Having a scoliosis means that it should be monitored with some sort of frequency. (x-rays) A scoliosis trained orthopedic surgeon should be used, and these questions directed at him.

Where do you do rescues?
Ed

SearchRescueGuy
04-04-2011, 03:51 PM
I use a naos 85 arcteryx for my main pack. They make the rolls royce of packs. Many adjustments, frame bent to the shape of your back, torso strap on a rotating disk.

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Packs/Naos-85#Over_60L

SearchRescueGuy
04-04-2011, 04:12 PM
The sheriff will dispatch us all over southern california, but we do have our primary area. For the state park I do SAR up at mt san jacinto.