Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congratulations Doodles (Janet) - 2 years post op.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations Doodles (Janet) - 2 years post op.

I was glad to see you'd do it all again, but sorry there are still some issues preventing you from forgetting completely about it. But very glad that you feel it was all worthwhile.

Do you think you're 100% or still improving?
    Last edited by JenniferG; 03-31-2011, 11:58 PM.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Jennifer--
    You are such a sweetheart to mention this! Thank you. Yes, it was still definitely worthwhile and I hope to still be improving and eventually hit 100% or close to it. I think I overdid my Zumba class on Wed. (although I try to not do any of the jumpy stuff) so have been definitely feeling it today with zapping/zinging pain on the spot where the main curve was. I don't get to that class too often which is probably best since I seem to regret it later. But it's so much more fun than all my other exercising! I'd love to be able to do the yoga, etc. but can't even imagine how some on here can do that. We're all different for sure. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi

Congrats Janet! So nice to see people stay on the forum after they feel better. I had my surgery two and a half weeks ago and its so hard to see the other side. You mentioned yoga and I know that here in NY they have a yoga studio completely dedicated to scoliosis. It is called Yoga Union. I am hoping to start classes there when the time is right. Maybe you could find something similar where you live. I was going to the classes before my surgery and they really helped. Thanks for keeping in touch. Hope you feel wonderful here on out.

Sarahcant
      march 15 2010
      dr. errico nyu
      T5 C1 (not exactly sure)
      thorasic 40
      lumbar 70
      Sarahcant
      Surgery March 15
      Dr. Errico NYU
      Fused T-3 to S-1
      an inch and change taller
      nice and straight
      49 years old (yikes)

Comment

Congratulations, Janet. I hope whatever issues you still have will be resolved soon.
        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Congratulations, Janet. Thanks for the encouragement you have given me the past year. I hope to get back to Zumba even without the hip action. It is a fun way to get a good workout.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I hope you do reach that 100% mark this coming year Janet but glad that you're doing so well in the meantime.

We'll have to compare notes in another 12 months and see if there've been any further improvements! I think it's Susie Bee who feels her improvements continued into her third year.

Zuma looks like a lot of fun and I'd love to give it a go except I have no rhythm or dance style whatsoever! Embarrassment keeps me from trying it.

Comment

Yes, Jennifer, I keep on getting better... or maybe I need to say stronger and more able. Janet, you've come a long way. Congratulations! It sounds like you are doing pretty well! Some of us are like fine wine or cheese and take awhile to achieve the best results. Ha ha. My thought is to be content with where we are, but press on... time is a healer. Patience is a virtue. We can help ourselves in certain ways (exercise, eating right, etc.), but beyond that, it is out of our hands. As I've said before, I thought I was "done" with my healing after one year. I've come leaps and bounds since then, but sooooo gradually. It's in turning back and looking that you see the progress you've made. Wait till next year at this time and see. I'll bet you will be agreeing with me.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Oh, Susie Bee, you give us all such hope for even more improvement! I think you are right. Thanks all for your support and kind words. Jennifer, believe me, you see all variations of skills or lack of at Zumba. Just try the back row a couple times. The good ones go up front & I just follow what they do, more or less. It's just a matter of moving no matter if you get the steps. Thanks all! Janet
                Janet

Comment

[QUOTE=sarahcant;119659] So nice to see people stay on the forum after they feel better. I had my surgery two and a half weeks ago and its so hard to see the other side.

It's very hard to see the other side when your in the thick of things. I had a tough time accepting that I was completely dependant on my husband. however temporary it seemed to my husband, it seemed forever to me. Then I hit a point where I had anxiety and panic episodes because he was out of the house for awhile. However, you do get throug it! I was one of those really slow healers, having a 1 year old didin't help. The 15th and 22nd of this month mark my 2 year anniversay as well. I can say that just in the last 2 months I feel that all those lingerng spots that were causing issues have stopped. It's just my neck and muscle issues above the fusion. I so envy all those who have no pain past the healing phase. Hang in there and remember, one hour at a time, one day at a time. Slow and steady win the race!
                  Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                  50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                  Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                  X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                  Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                  Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                  Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Janet,

Congratualtions! I remember our conversations pre-surgery. It's hard to imagine that it's been 2 years. For me it will be the 15th and the 22nd. Amazing that it's been that long...which also mean only 1 more year on the ship for my husband :O)
                    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Susan--
                      I'm sure you'll be very glad when your husband is done on the ship! That has to make everything harder with surgery. I'm glad you are finding those trouble spots are improving. I think the neck is a tough one. Prior to surgery Dr. Lenke said he couldn't guarantee anything about the neck situation. It definitely is still a problem on left neck/shoulder area especially. It is just a sore burning. Congratulations on your almost 2 years! Janet
                      Janet

Comment

Janet,

congratulations from a zumba-junkie. I started over a year ago--I found that when I go regularly, I don't pay for it later. When I first started the class I had about a 2-week period of horrible spasms. But once I (and my back) got used to it, I rarely have that at all anymore. I had an exception a few months ago when I REALLY overdid it, but I have to remind myself not to go too many days per week!

Again, congratulations on this milestone. You have come far.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

two years later...

Hi Susan and Janet,
                          I was the "third musketeer" two years ago when we were all anticipating our surgeries. I totally agree that this recovery has been "slow and steady". Two months ago I would have said that I've never felt better. Uunfortunately since then I'm having lots of trouble with S1 joint pain. I didn't know what was causing the pain and extreme fatigue till the dr gave me an injection to numb the area. The pain was instantly gone, but back in full force within 24 hours! I've been in contact with the dr and will probably have a cortizone injection soon. I've also been wondering if it's time to call my acupuncture dr. Maybe he can help.

The joint pain is new and very discouraging, but up until two months ago I was very active and pleased with my recovery. I'm too afraid to try anything like Zumba, but I've been doing pilates with my former physical therapist and I find it to be VERY helpful with my neck pain, leg stiffness, and overall comfort.

...Trying to take this setback day by day and not get too down about it. I have to keep reminding myself to be patient with the "two steps forward/one step back" recovery pattern that this surgery seems to follow.

Nice to reconnect and check in with both of you.

Jo
                          -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
                          Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
                          Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
                          Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

Hi Jo, lovely to hear from you. I'm so sorry to hear about this SI joint trouble. After doing so well, I sincerely hope this is fixed soon. Please keep in touch and let us know how you go.

Comment

Jo--
                              Thanks for chiming in! Sorry that you are having this difficulty after doing so well. I sure hope that you find some relief. The more I hear about Pilates, maybe I should try. I just can't imagine trying to do the stuff in Pilates/Yoga I used to do. Hey, I wasn't too hot at it before surgery! Zumba is more fun. Janet
                              Janet

Comment

Working...
                              X