Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iliac Crest Bone Graft Site Pain

Hi...

For those of you who have pain from the site where bone was taken for your spinal fusion, please let me know how that pain manifests itself. Is the pain always there? Does it hurt no matter whether you're sitting, standing, walking, etc? Does it hurt when you push on the site? If your surgery was more than a few years ago, has the pain changed at all over the years since your surgery?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Mine isn't a problem generally but it is sore from time to time. It is a dull ache when it acts up, and if I stretch the area by bending forward when it is achey, I get a stinging sensation in the tissue around the scar.
    It also gets a little sensitive at the end of a long, active day.
    Generally it is the worst when sitting.
    Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
    Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
    Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
    Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
    February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
    September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Linda
      Mine is achey if I lay on my back in bed for to long. Also, if it has been a busy day, i.e. cleaning house or working in the yard it will feel sore. It has never been bad enough however to need pain med for it.
      SandyC
      SandyC

Comment

Thanks to both of you for replying. If you push on that spot, doesn't it hurt?

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,
          Actually, just pushing on it, really doesn't make it hurt. On the "surface", across my pelvis, is numb. Even with a fair amount of pressure. I think because the majority of my staph infections (6 surgeries) were in that area and I had to be opened up so often the nerve fibers in the soft tissue has pretty much been destroyed. I think the pain I feel in that area is really more of a arthirtic pain...though I'm not sure why.
          SandyC
          SandyC

Comment

I don't get pain from direct pressure on it. I actually have a band of numbness that goes from the scar, to about the middle of the small of my back, and also that wraps around the front of my pelvis and then runs down the front of my thigh a bit.
            Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
            Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
            Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
            Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
            February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
            September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

It is relatively early in my recovery process (5 weeks) but I have similar sensations as Sandy and blairf83. In the back, numbness from my waist extending around to the sides of my hips and across the lower pelvis. Pain is spontaneous, the left half of my bone graft incision sometimes exhibits itself like a stinging, tearing sensation. Periodically if I remain in one position too long the pain manifests itself like an arthritis type of an ache. Hope the info helps.

Gayle
              Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
              Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

Comment

Working...
              X