View Full Version : Just diagnosed...

03-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Any suggestions?
Hi All!
I am a 31 yr old female. I have had back problems since 12 years of age. I think bc I developed quickly, the dr thought it was my cup size causing problems. Went to the dr at 17 with hip and knee pain. He sent me to an ortho. Xray done of my hip. He said my knee cap and the muscle extending to the hip was causing the problem and that the hip pain was from a triangle shaped piece of cartilage turning hence the stabbing pain and inability to walk at times. Did pt no help. Through the years I have had on and off back pain but then around 28 i picked up one of my students (not from the floor, he was at me level) and bam lower back pain-worse ever. I did not have insurance as I had been denied bc of a history of pelvic pain (I had complained to my gyno about menstrual cramps). Recently I was able to get insurance through the local health clinic, not ideal but better than nothing. I went to the doc she did some xrays of my back (first ever). She said well you have scoliosis and your lower spine is twisted around. I was in shock and didnt really know what to ask. She is sending me to PT which starts this week. I also made an appt with CLEAR chiro as it is a free consultation and I would at least like to hear what he has to say. My friend who is a massage therapist has been instrumental in relieving pain and my sciatica in both legs is barely noticeable now.
I have been reading over the forum and reading more about scoliosis, but what would you suggest? Should I know the degree of my curve? Should i see an ortho? How do I know its going to get worse? What can make it better? What does lower spine twisted around mean? What should I do and not do?

03-27-2011, 04:58 PM
I have been reading over the forum and reading more about scoliosis, but what would you suggest?

My best suggestion is to see a board-certified othopedic surgeon who specializes in spine. They are the only game in town.

Here's a list...


Should I know the degree of my curve?

Yes and if it changes over time.

Should i see an ortho?

Yes because they are the only folks trained to deal with scoliosis.

How do I know its going to get worse?

An orthopedic surgeon can help you determine that if it can be determined.

What can make it better?

PT is known to help some folks with pain. But I imagine it has to be the right kind of PT. Don't ask me what the right kind is. (smiley face)

What does lower spine twisted around mean?

It means you have a rotation along with the curvature. Everyone who doesn't have hysterical scoliosis which is exquisitely rare has rotation, some more than others. My daughters both got to the high 50s* and one was highly rotating and the other much less so.

What should I do and not do?

These are things only a surgeon can answer for you.


Thank the surgeon when you see him.

Good luck.

03-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Thank you for your response. I checked out the website and there is only one in the city for adults. I will just have to go to whatever ortho my doc sends me to, which will be whichever one at the county hospital. To see the one on the list will be at least $250 for a new patient visit :( It is the university hospital so all rates are pre set. I will save up and see him and take my xrays so i wont be charged for that. I work with children who have disabilities. I am constantly doing things that are probably not to good for my back. I just dont want to get to a point where I cannot work. And I am starting to plan for a family and nervous about the combo of working being prego in pain yada yada...

03-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Since you have been diagnosed with scoliosis, often you can get a referral to a scoliosis specialist. Since there is only one where you live, I would suggest trying for that referral. You might have to fight a bit with your insurance, but they are really the ones most knowledgeable about the subject and will give you the most accurate prognosis. I had "state" insurance at one point and was able to get my referrals.

03-27-2011, 06:27 PM
The SRS list is a good place to start but isn't the only game in town. For example my daughters were referred by an SRS guy to a non-SRS and they both got an excellent surgical result.

Once you have a name of a surgeon at county, check him out and make sure he has experience with adult spine. If he doesn't then request someone who does. This is very important.

Good luck.

03-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Well, it isn't state insurance. The county hospital offers it and it's free minus the $20 copayment. Soo you get what you pay for. There are many on the srs list for children just the one for adults. Maybe some overlap there. I will get an appt with an ortho through co hospital and see if he's decent. The ortho who looked at my hip was supposed to be the best (he did surgery on bill clinton's knee) and he obviously was not the best for me. There are only a few drs who work in county, theres probably only one ortho. I am willing to give anyone a shot at this point.