Hot stone massage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot stone massage?

Hi everyone... I'm wondering if any of you have had a hot stone massage post surgery? I'll be 2 years post-op on March 25 and have an appt. scheduled for a hot stone massage this weekend. I didn't think much of it when I booked the massage, but now that I'm thinking about it more, I'm worried the extreme hot temperatures of the stones might bother the metal in my back and make me heat up like a turkey in a pressure cooker?! What do you all think?

I'm sure it will be fine. Just be sure to communicate with your massage therapist.
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Wow, I've never hear of this. I'm not fused and it sounds like it would feel great. Let us know how it goes! This may be an off-the-wall question, but for people with fusions, wouldn't the same principle apply for living in very cold or very hot climates. Is sunbathing out when it is very hot outside? When it's cold, do you have to wear heat packs to keep the rods from cooling down too much, or is good outerwear sufficient?
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

IF I ever have surgery, I will probably end up moving to a warmer climate, then. The cold hurts me as it is... Have fun at your massage!
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Jess

No, I would say more like a chicken on a rotisserie. He he

I had a lomilomi done in Hawaii years ago. I was dying from pain, and was desperate. She used hot rocks, some plants, maybe a little smoke, and some chanting....they add a little voodoo for effect. Funny, the volcano started erupting right after that. (rumble sound and sulfur dioxide fumes)

There is nothing better than a good massage. Try not to get too used to this, its addicting! I found that having a massage immediately after a hot soak helped out quite a bit.

I cannot even fathom how many massage’s I’ve had through the years. After my surgeries, I found that the areas around my screw heads are delicate, and its not the most pleasant feeling. I don’t have much pain anymore, so I stopped.

The stones do cool off quickly.....

Ed
          Last edited by titaniumed; 03-24-2011, 12:05 AM.
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks for the input, everyone!
            I, too, am greatly affected in the cold weather...my back/rods always gets really tight and tense and it huuuurts when I shiver. I normally do fine in warm weather...though I can't stay in a hot tub for too long anymore, hehe.
            I will let you know how the massage goes!

Comment

Enjoy the massage! You deserve it!
              Billy
              32 year old male from UK
              Fused at 25yrs
              62 degree thoratic curve
              45 degree lumbar curve
              Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Comment

Working...
              X