Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Q

Hi guys,

Quick question. For how long after the surgery were you dependent on other people? I'm going to be with my parents in Windsor afterwards, but will need to get back to work and get back to my flat in London at some point. The work can be done from home and is not physically demanding so doing too much too soon shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!

B
    Billy
    32 year old male from UK
    Fused at 25yrs
    62 degree thoratic curve
    45 degree lumbar curve
    Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

BendyBill,
    I would guess that you could work form home once you're off the heavy pain medications. You would be able to take breaks as needed. I thought my mind was working just fine when I was on the pain pills and later discovered that I was actually in a fog a lot of the time and also slurring my words. I would be hesitant to being alone due to the possibility of falling as long as you are taking pain pills. Once again, I thought I was fine at 3 weeks and stood up too quickly and blacked out. The sooner you can get along without the pain medications, the sooner you can be alone and be productive at work (just my opinion). I stopped oxy. at 4 weeks and vicodin at 5 weeks and felt sooooooo much better. I finally could enjoy food, again, write thank you notes that were legible, speak clearly making sense, and not be fearful of a dizzy spell.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by BendyBill View Post
      Hi guys,

Quick question. For how long after the surgery were you dependent on other people? I'm going to be with my parents in Windsor afterwards, but will need to get back to work and get back to my flat in London at some point. The work can be done from home and is not physically demanding so doing too much too soon shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!

B
      Hi....

I recently had revision surgery. I was in the hospital for 5 days, and then stayed with a friend for 3 days. After that, I came home, and have essentially taken care of myself. The most difficult issue is that I have been unable to drive (as you will be). So, you'll need to find someone to make runs to places like the grocery and drug store, if they don't deliver.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I'm a lot older than you, and have a husband and kids, so my parents came to stay with me for 6 weeks. By that point I was able to do what minimally needed to be done around the house. I was still on pain meds, and could not have worked (desk job all at a computer) until at LEAST 3 or 4 months. When you're on these pain meds, you need lots of naps. Also, I think a body needs lots of good nutrition and naps to heal properly.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
          Hi....

I recently had revision surgery. I was in the hospital for 5 days, and then stayed with a friend for 3 days. After that, I came home, and have essentially taken care of myself. The most difficult issue is that I have been unable to drive (as you will be). So, you'll need to find someone to make runs to places like the grocery and drug store, if they don't deliver.

Regards,
          Linda
          Linda's got a good point about grocery shopping. Even after you're able to drive, for quite some time you won't be able to carry heavy bags. The definition of 'heavy' might surprise you for at least the first 6 months. Even pushing a grocery cart was hard if it was more than half full.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I'm a musician and know I won't be able to go and do any sessions or gigs, practice certain instruments (the 'cello for me) for a while but I have to keep up the practice for some things or I'll fall behind. I usually do about 6-8 hours a day practicing but will obviously not be able to keep that going. How does 2 hours sitting at a piano sound? I could split it into 1hr chunks. And, whilst resting will I be with-it enough to write music? I'm kinda counting on being able to do that so I can use this time in a productive way.
            Singing, too. And ideas? I know there's someone on this forum called Singer so I should probably ask her...!
            I don't drive and have never needed to because of how accessible London is with public transport. The grocery store is a 3 minute walk from my flat so should be able to do that by myself. If I'm ever really in trouble from falling or anything else, I have flatmates who are usually around and they would help me out, although I don't think they would be up for doing the every day maintenance stuff as they are all busy people.
            Thanks for all your help
            B
            Last edited by BendyBill; 03-20-2011, 10:19 AM.
            Billy
            32 year old male from UK
            Fused at 25yrs
            62 degree thoratic curve
            45 degree lumbar curve
            Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Comment

I have to say that I am surprised that I have next to no memory of over 2 weeks. Likely due to meds, fatigue and fallout from anesthesia.

Bill, if you can sit for an hour, hats off to you. I think you will need some help at least for the first week but it will depend on how well your pain is managed when you are sent home (I had spasms that brought me to my knees - literally - and you will need to have a system set up for taking and tracking your meds. You can't set that up if you are high on pain pills so will def need help w that at least).

I never needed help with personal maint - showers, toilet, etc - but was def unsteady on stairs for the first couple of weeks, and had people not been shoving food in my mouth I likely would have eaten nothing. Even with my parents cooking for me, I still ate maybe 3 bites per meal. And would have slept through alarms for taking pain meds if left to my own devices.

Honestly I can't say that I know how people come home and do this 1) alone and 2) with only lay people. Thank God I'm married to a dr who advocated for changes to my pain mgmt and has been on top of everything. I don't know how lay people do it.
              Female, age 38
              4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
              currently 64*upper/40*lower
              Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
              now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

I was dependent for nearly a year after my surgery in one way or another. But as i recovered, I slowly started becoming more and more independent as my restrictions decreased. What really helped me recover quickly was being really fit. So the more active you are pre-op, the better off you are post-op. Good luck!

-Hannah
                Hey guys!
                My name is Hannah, I'm 14 years old, and I had a spinal fusion on 8/27/09
                I feel great now!
                Pre-op = 28T and 45L
                Post-op = 18T and 22L

Comment

Bill

Attempting any Brahms on the piano while on Opoid’s will be a test.....at least for the first 4 weeks...Chopsticks is a maybe. lol. Don’t worry, it will come in time. You can try to sit and practice for short periods, and build up from there.

Sitting is very difficult in the beginning. I could not sit for more than a few minutes in the first few weeks. It would be best not to expect too much in the first few weeks, which is the hardest part. When you are in pain, and on meds, you really are in a sort of “survival mode”. It’s a period where your focus is completely on trying to get comfortable. Sleep is also difficult and every hour that you get is of high value.

You are not supposed to lift too much after surgery. I didn’t lift more than a dinner plate for a few months. It would be a good idea to get some sort of cart with wheels to carry your groceries.

Once again, and I will agree with Karen on the medication issue, a goal with these surgeries is to get off meds. Once I quit, I improved quickly.
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...