One Year Anniversary Today!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Year Anniversary Today!!!!

One year ago today I was under the knife and my life changed for the better. It has been a long road from beginning to end. I don't consider it the end though. I continue to improve as time goes on. Although my first surgery was not a success, my revision surgery literally changed my life. As I think back over the last 3 years, there have been many ups and downs both physically and emotionally...there were many days I didn't know what to do or if the pain or disability would ever go away. As I pass the one year anniversary of my revision surgery, my goals are to improve my physical condition. I lost alot of muscle mass during my recoveries and am not strong as a result. I've babied myself and my back and now I intend to start building up my upper and lower body strength. Summer is coming, and I feel embarrassed to show my chicken legs :-)
    Pain-wise, I am not taking any narcotic pain meds. I had a cortisone injection in October for sciatica which helped about 80% and feel just intermittent sciatica in my right leg. I will have another injection if I feel I need one. I can feel the muscles pulling against the rods in cold weather but it is not too bothersome. For the first time in my life, I can say that I am not bothered by back pain! I hope to continue to improve as time goes on and can say I am glad I had this done ;-)))
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Kristy,
    Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary. You've certainly been through a lot, but finally, it sound like you are doing well and determined to rebuild muscles and get to 100%. It's natural that we baby ourselves for awhile after going through surgery and you've had more than one. Keep getting stronger!
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Congratulations Kristy. You've earned this. I think you will continue to improve well into your second year.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

How wonderful to finally be feeling good! I am so happy for you. It just shows that time and patience pay off in the end. Thanks for the update, and keep it up! Maybe we need to form a chicken leg and saggy butt club...
        Jenee'-52
        Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
        Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
        I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
        9 hours
        T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
        Non-fusion
        Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Kristy-- what a wonderful post! I am so happy for you. It has been a long ride, I know, but you have come so far from when you first posted about your problems... Isn't it wonderful that you had that revision surgery??? Yay! I am one of the "turtle" clan that took a long time to build back strength after the surgery. I'm approaching my 4 year surgery, and I just keep getting better and stronger all the time. I still remember that at my one year anniversary, I thought to myself "well, this is it, but it's ok-- you'll learn to live with your limitations." And it WAS ok. But this is SO much better!!! What a patience-builder this is to some of us! Be proud of your progress so far--and know there's no way but forward... and that each day and each year will bring you a stronger character and undoubtedly a stronger body too. Best wishes to you-- and happy anniversary! Hugs to a fellow Hoosier, Susie
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Happy Anniv, Kristy!!! It IS a big deal - getting your life back is no small thing. "Sagittal imbalance" is such an innocent sounding term for something that damage to your quality of life. I am so happy that you had the revision surgery, and that it worked so well!!!!!!
            Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
            Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
            Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Hey Kristie- Can't believe it's been a year! Glad you're doing so well! We need to get together with Evelyn and all catch up!
              Age 56
              Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
              Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
              Thoracic 68
              Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
              Dr Bridwell St Louis
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Kristy--
                I'm very happy that things finally worked out for you and hope things just keep getting better! Congrats! Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

how wonderful, Kristy! congratulations!

sounds like the day is not far when you will forget about your back...not give it a thought, just like a person who never had/never needed surgery...
                  won't that be miraculous considering where you started!

jess

Comment

Congratulations, Kristy. I'm so glad it's all worked out for you in the end! B x
                    Billy
                    32 year old male from UK
                    Fused at 25yrs
                    62 degree thoratic curve
                    45 degree lumbar curve
                    Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Comment

Kristy

Congratulations! You will continue to improve from now on....sometimes it takes a few tries, but it always works out.

I have to admit that I too, was looking kinda thin. Really thin! It took a little work, but I came back.

You did it! (I love typing that BTW)
                      Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I too was sooo skinny and weak after my surgery. I started doing pilates at 5-months post-op and that's what has helped me the most in terms of regaining my strength and muscle tone. you should try it i'm now two years post-op and am stronger than i've ever been in my entire life!!

Comment

jesscv, I just loved reading your last sentence.

I'm going to try and heed your good advice. (Put me dow for pilates in July!)
                          Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                          Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                          Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Working...
                          X