PDA

View Full Version : One Year Anniversary Today!!!!

naptown78
03-18-2011, 09:44 PM
One year ago today I was under the knife and my life changed for the better. It has been a long road from beginning to end. I don't consider it the end though. I continue to improve as time goes on. Although my first surgery was not a success, my revision surgery literally changed my life. As I think back over the last 3 years, there have been many ups and downs both physically and emotionally...there were many days I didn't know what to do or if the pain or disability would ever go away. As I pass the one year anniversary of my revision surgery, my goals are to improve my physical condition. I lost alot of muscle mass during my recoveries and am not strong as a result. I've babied myself and my back and now I intend to start building up my upper and lower body strength. Summer is coming, and I feel embarrassed to show my chicken legs :-)
Pain-wise, I am not taking any narcotic pain meds. I had a cortisone injection in October for sciatica which helped about 80% and feel just intermittent sciatica in my right leg. I will have another injection if I feel I need one. I can feel the muscles pulling against the rods in cold weather but it is not too bothersome. For the first time in my life, I can say that I am not bothered by back pain! I hope to continue to improve as time goes on and can say I am glad I had this done ;-)))

golfnut
03-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Kristy,
Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary. You've certainly been through a lot, but finally, it sound like you are doing well and determined to rebuild muscles and get to 100%. It's natural that we baby ourselves for awhile after going through surgery and you've had more than one. Keep getting stronger!

JenniferG
03-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Congratulations Kristy. You've earned this. I think you will continue to improve well into your second year.

jeneemohler
03-18-2011, 10:23 PM
How wonderful to finally be feeling good! I am so happy for you. It just shows that time and patience pay off in the end. Thanks for the update, and keep it up! Maybe we need to form a chicken leg and saggy butt club...

Susie*Bee
03-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Kristy-- what a wonderful post! I am so happy for you. It has been a long ride, I know, but you have come so far from when you first posted about your problems... Isn't it wonderful that you had that revision surgery??? Yay! I am one of the "turtle" clan that took a long time to build back strength after the surgery. I'm approaching my 4 year surgery, and I just keep getting better and stronger all the time. I still remember that at my one year anniversary, I thought to myself "well, this is it, but it's ok-- you'll learn to live with your limitations." And it WAS ok. But this is SO much better!!! What a patience-builder this is to some of us! Be proud of your progress so far--and know there's no way but forward... and that each day and each year will bring you a stronger character and undoubtedly a stronger body too. Best wishes to you-- and happy anniversary! Hugs to a fellow Hoosier, Susie

mgs
03-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Happy Anniv, Kristy!!! It IS a big deal - getting your life back is no small thing. "Sagittal imbalance" is such an innocent sounding term for something that damage to your quality of life. I am so happy that you had the revision surgery, and that it worked so well!!!!!!

LisaB
03-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Hey Kristie- Can't believe it's been a year! Glad you're doing so well! We need to get together with Evelyn and all catch up!

Doodles
03-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Kristy--
I'm very happy that things finally worked out for you and hope things just keep getting better! Congrats! Janet

jrnyc
03-20-2011, 02:06 AM
how wonderful, Kristy! congratulations!

sounds like the day is not far when you will forget about your back...not give it a thought, just like a person who never had/never needed surgery...
won't that be miraculous considering where you started!

jess

BendyBill
03-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Congratulations, Kristy. I'm so glad it's all worked out for you in the end! B x

titaniumed
03-21-2011, 01:13 AM
Kristy

Congratulations! You will continue to improve from now on....sometimes it takes a few tries, but it always works out.

I have to admit that I too, was looking kinda thin. Really thin! It took a little work, but I came back.

You did it! (I love typing that BTW)
Ed

jesscv
03-21-2011, 12:05 PM
I too was sooo skinny and weak after my surgery. I started doing pilates at 5-months post-op and that's what has helped me the most in terms of regaining my strength and muscle tone. you should try it:) i'm now two years post-op and am stronger than i've ever been in my entire life!!

mgs
03-21-2011, 12:39 PM
jesscv, I just loved reading your last sentence.

I'm going to try and heed your good advice. (Put me dow for pilates in July!)