Exercise bike riding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise bike riding...

Someday, maybe I won't feel the need to be an overachiever...

But not today!!

I decided that I don't want to be in such poor shape when I start my physical therapy in a few weeks, at 3 months post-op. So I squared my shoulders, put up my chin, and armed with my trusty ipod, went upstairs and attacked my hubby's exercise bike. (It is snowing, sleeting and hailing AGAIN today-I'm NOT going outside!) It was bittersweet. I realized-again-how weak I've gotten in the 2 1/2 months since surgery, and yet it felt really good to do something more physical again. Walking isn't quite strenuous enough...

I only rode for 10 minutes on setting 3 of 10, but hey-it's a starting point! Two things were bummers-

#1...I wore my brace, which interferes with the leg action because the brace hits my thighs on every stroke. I only have to wear it 3 more weeks. YAY! But like I said before, it DOES keep my spine in position. And most importantly, makes me behave. It is way too tempting to bend and twist more than I should. I will take the weakened muscles that can be brought back in shape, in order to keep my spine aligned and help with a successful fusion. Whatever it takes!

#2...the darn seat is SO uncomfortable. Nothing like my mountain bike seat.

And I forgot, there's a 3rd...It sucks going downstairs with rubber legs!!! LOL

On another note, one of my favorite sayings that applies to we scoli ladies and gents is "No matter where you are in life, what matters most is who is at your side." So, no matter where you are in your journey, remember that we are all here at each others' sides!!! Thank goodness for this forum!
    Jenee'-52
    Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
    Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
    I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
    9 hours
    T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
    Non-fusion
    Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Jenee',
    Just be careful that you aren't doing too much too soon. I know how boring those indoor laps of walking can be and it's tempting to do something else for exercise. I may ask about using a recumbent bike at the Y. I think they are a lot easier than a regular exercise bike. I love your sense of humor!
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I'll be careful! For me, I have an easier time sitting upright than reclining. I can sit in a hard chair easier than a recliner. I bet we are all different. I am going to gradually increase my time to 30 minutes-someday. And then increase the tension a bit every once in awhile. It may take some time!
      Jenee'-52
      Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
      9 hours
      Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

You're probably right that an upright bike would be better. I don't sit in a reliner either. I wonder if an eliptical at the Y would be okay early in the recovery. No one has mentioned that I can do anything other than walk, but I will ask. On the nice days, walking outside is fine for me. The Y has a nice indoor track, but to walk my 2 miles I have to make 26 laps. Anything is better than walking the laps in the downstairs of our house and at least I see people at the Y. Maybe you'll get some nice spring weather in Oregon soon!
        Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

When I had PT, they had me use a recumbent bike because it supports your back. I think he had it adjusted so it was in a pretty upright position somehow. I always enjoyed my "ride" a lot. (smile) ....
          Last edited by Susie*Bee; 03-19-2011, 08:07 AM. Reason: typo
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I wonder if your mountain bike seat could be used on the exercise bike?

Comment

I was told I could wear the brace or not - my choice. After the horrible incident with it at the hospital I will never wear it, period. Instead, my corset arrived yesterday and holy cow, it's fantastic! Just the right amount of support for me, and lets me do things like sit upright (I'm a 45* reclined girl), walk further, etc.

Jenee, I've been using the Wii Fit and it's actually pretty fun - although I'm 3 weeks out and can only do about 7 mins before I am wiped out (I do the basic step and island bike riding programs) but I expect that will increase with time. I started PT on Week 2 though so I've been at the ab/core work for a while now. Nothing too serious, but it's keeping my belly nice and flat.
              Female, age 38
              4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
              currently 64*upper/40*lower
              Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
              now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Lilysaidwhat- I've wondered about buying a Wii or Kinnect (spelling?). My friend has one and loves it. I believe in starting in baby steps and being careful-we have to start somewhere to get back to where we were! And I don't want to get so far gone that it takes forever to get back in shape. I'm "challenged", not handicapped!!
                It sounds like you are doing pretty good, and so soon out of surgery. To be honest, I was concerned about you before your surgery. I am so relieved to hear of you doing things, and that the anxiety of surgery is over for you. YAY!!!!!

I wondered about replacing the seat on the bike, also... I will probably ride a recumbent in PT. But if I can walk in the woods, I can ride a bike upright. I am very steady and don't feel unsupported, even without my brace on. It also helps to build my core muscle by staying upright. I just keep my eye out for tripping hazards. I can't imagine falling-sneezing hurts bad enough!!
                Jenee'-52
                Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                9 hours
                Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

Lauging at Myself

I am almost laughing at myself. I have played in golf tournaments for years and enjoyed winning a lot of them. I am just naturally competitive. Now, I'm thinking that since my surgeon is more conservative than Lily's or Jenee's with starting PT, that you girls are going to be way ahead of me. I am kidding, however the thought went through my mind. Naturally, I wish anyone all the success they can achieve during recovery. I, too, hate to let everything get so far gone that getting the muscles back is going to be even more challenging. Maybe the Physical Therapist that Dr. Lenke recommends can give me some "baby steps" in exercising to try soon. OTOH, I will be patient if they tell me to be because I sure don't want to mess anything up.
                  Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Oh, the sneezing. . . I don't know whether to try to stifle it or just let it come out naturally.
                    Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Karen, you're a goofball!

I've been working my core for over a year, never bore a child, and never had any anterior surgeries so my abs are really firm and strong. On top of that, I had a month of fairly heavy lower-ab strengthening pre-op thanks to a PT who is also a football coach and indulges my type-A personality and potentially overblown vanity.

I am struggling to relax when I need to - and with the oxy still part of my daily intake, I'm napping anywhere from 2 to 4 hrs a day and sleeping about 11 hrs a night, but fighting it and getting really cranky in the afternoons (much to my husband's displeasure, poor guy). I actually considered if I was bilking the company by not going back to work earlier this week, when my husband pointed out that I have zero attention span and can knit exactly 1 row or walk 1/8 of a mile before napping. And that it's only been 3 weeks since half of my spine was fused. And about 8 weeks since we knew that was even on the table.

We are all winners here!
                      Female, age 38
                      4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                      currently 64*upper/40*lower
                      Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                      now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

question about courset

Hi Lily where did you get a courset from? I asked my doc about braces and he doesnt use them but I personally feel like I could use some support. Where did you get yours? And wow! 3 weeks out and your already excercising? Im having so much trouble with my stomach Im lucky if I can get out of bed to the toilet. How are you doing with the constipation?

sarahcant
                        Sarahcant
                        Surgery March 15
                        Dr. Errico NYU
                        Fused T-3 to S-1
                        an inch and change taller
                        nice and straight
                        49 years old (yikes)

Comment

Working...
                        X