View Full Version : update on trulyaries

03-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Nanlo here!
Felicia (trulyaries) asked me to update her friends on the forum about her surgeries last Wednesday and Friday.
She sent this email via her sister a couple of days ago - she's been having a hard time emailing from her blackberry. She sounds like she is improving every day - getting stronger, eating real food, and up to walk in rehab.

So sorry I havenít been in touch earlier. I think I had a good reason for being incommunicado Ė I WAS IN PAIN.
Hereís a quick rundown Ė The first surgery went well; I couldnít figure out why my shoulder blades hurt so much the next day. When I saw Lenke, he told me that not only did he remove previous hardware (what I thought) but that he also removed and re-installed the thoracic hardware. The day in-between is a blur of pain, sleep, and ice chips.
The second surgery was a nightmare. I had a very bad reaction to one of the anesthetics and woke up screaming from hallucinations. A seriously bad trip! Since then it has still been a blur of various people coming in and out, most bearing some pills or with a test for something. I think Iím being well taken care of; no hospital is immune from incompetence although those have been very few. I see the doctor daily at god-awful 6 am. Doesnít matter though, last night was probably the first time I slept for more than 10 minutes at a time The backs of my legs hurt something fierce. I also really had a lot of trouble with dry eyes/mouth, complicated with some of the meds Iím taking that have the same side effects.
I donít know yet if Iím any taller but I do know that when they stood me up today I felt like I was going to fall backward! I have been promised a look in the mirror tomorrow.
Every day I get a little better. Seems like everyone has been put on alert that Iím going to rehab so hopefully that works. Still scheduled home some time next week.
Sister Fran leaves tomorrow so Iíll be on my own for a few days and I wonít have computer access. If you want to send me an email, send it to my regular email; that way I can at least read it on my Blackberry.

Take care. Love you all. See you soon.

03-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the update. Hope all continues to go well and sorry you had such a reaction to the anesthetic, hallucinations sound terrifying. 0_0

03-18-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm sorry you had so much pain and complications with the anesthsia. It sounds like you're on track now. I'm sure rehab. will help you get where you need to be this early in your recovery. Please let us know your progress when you get home.

03-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the update! I was wondering how Felecia was doing!

Hang in there! I hope you continue to get a little better each day and that you will go to rehab and be well taken care of there. Thinking about you and sending energy and prayers your way.....


03-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Felicia-- sending lots of love and healing wishes to you. I'm so sorry about the pain and difficulties you've had. Hopefully everything from now on wlil be looking up... and the rehab will go well and you'll be back home again soon and thankful that this is behind you. May you have a quick recovery and quick relief from the pain. I don't have your email address... so hopefully you'll see this.

03-19-2011, 10:29 PM
So glad it's over and hope the most difficult days are over too. Hope all goes well from here on out & you have a steady recovery. Janet

03-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Here I am!

Many, many thanks to nancy for posting the update. I'm now in the Rehab Institute and I'm scheduled to go home this coming Monday.

All things considered I'm feeling pretty good. I spend a good part of the day with Occupational and Physical Therapy. When I'm not there I'm sleeping! This was not a time for my computer to get wonky, but it did. So getting updates out has been hit or miss. I hope everyone understands.

Thanks for the good thoughts and best wishes!

03-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Wonderful news!!! You have really been through the ringer, and how you deal with it all is truly inspiring, trulyaries. I am TOTALLY doing the happy dance!!!!

03-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Yay, Felicia!!! It's so good to hear from you! On with the healing! Take care of yourself, and don't forget to do as much pampering as possible... And also try to get others to help you as much as possible. Hugs, Susie

03-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Sleeping time is healing time as well, so never feel guilty about napping. I am glad you got to go to rehab. It will make your transition to home much easier. I'll look forward to hearing your progress.

03-30-2011, 07:21 PM
There's no place like home... there's no place like home. *click-click*

I posted a long reply here and it disappeared!!! I haven't the energy to type it all again. Just wanted you to know that I am home and all is well.

One of the side effects this time around is talking in my sleep,which I'm still doing now that I'm home. I never did it before, so I find it peculiar. Oh, my sister says I told her that Queen Elizabeth was coming to visit me in the hospital! At least I'm good for some laughs!!

03-30-2011, 08:42 PM
So glad your home! That Queen does get around doesn't she. I know I said really weird stuff at the hospital when I was awake--my husband told me. Take it easy and have a smooth recovery. Janet

03-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Welcome home Felicia! I bet it's great to be in your own bed again.

loves to skate
03-31-2011, 08:05 PM
Glad to hear you are home and doing well. I did a lot of talking and tripping on the meds right after my surgery. I don't like being a druggie, but sometimes it is necessary. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

04-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks, everyone. In a way, I'm actually glad I have some funny druggie stories to tell. Friends and family seem so grim and serious when I talk to them about the surgery. I'm happy I can lighten the mood by telling them some of the funnier stories.

04-03-2011, 06:11 PM
I thought I had posted an update here since I came home but thereís those drugs playing tricks on me again! To summarize, my two-stage surgery was on March 9 and 11. Dr. Lenke removed ALL of the posterior hardware from my previous surgeries, did one lumbar osteotomy and re-instrumented and fused me from T1 to sacrum. I was released from the hospital on March 17 and went directly to their Rehabilitation Institute. I came home on March 28. Dr. Lenkeís office had gone ahead and arranged for my home PT/OT. I have been initially evaluated and expect to get my weekly schedule tomorrow.
I have no pain, just a slight soreness in my mid-back. I have some weakness in my legs and an awkward walking gate; Iím hoping these are temporary. Iím convinced that going directly to Rehab has made all the difference in how I felt when I came home.
One thing Iím struggling with is lack of appetite. Not unusual, I know, and there have been times in my past where I would have begged for no appetite. However, Iím worried about getting enough nutrition for my healing; Iím eating less than half I would normally eat Ė and I wasnít that big an eater before. Iím hoping this will pass soon.
I must say that the level of care and compassion Ė extending from Dr. Lenke and his office to the hospital to the rehab institute and even the Parkway Hotel Ė was outstanding. I donít know how they have managed to achieve such a high level across the board, but they most certainly have.
I just re-read your comments here and mgs reminded me of something when I was in the hospital. As usual, I was constipated after surgery and we struggled to wake up the bowels. I teased my nurses that they would all have to do the happy dance when I finally had a bowel movement. Guess what Ė they all came in and did just that! It was pretty funny!
In summary, the most important part of this update: IíM STANDING UP STRAIGHT! Am I happy about that? YOU BET!

04-03-2011, 08:23 PM
For all of the work you had done, I think you are doing wonderfully! So glad you are up and about and straight. Despite one dreadful nurse who wouldn't give me meds on time and pretty much refused to help since she was busy on the computer all the time, the rest were very good, I agree! (Maybe she is gone, I hope! She caused me some real misery). The hospital and rehab center were very good--at least as much as I can remember. Keep on healing! Janet

04-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Great news Felicia. You certainly deserve a nice, easy recovery now.