X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update on trulyaries

Hi
    Nanlo here!
    Felicia (trulyaries) asked me to update her friends on the forum about her surgeries last Wednesday and Friday.
    She sent this email via her sister a couple of days ago - she's been having a hard time emailing from her blackberry. She sounds like she is improving every day - getting stronger, eating real food, and up to walk in rehab.

Felicia:
    So sorry I haven’t been in touch earlier. I think I had a good reason for being incommunicado – I WAS IN PAIN.
    Here’s a quick rundown – The first surgery went well; I couldn’t figure out why my shoulder blades hurt so much the next day. When I saw Lenke, he told me that not only did he remove previous hardware (what I thought) but that he also removed and re-installed the thoracic hardware. The day in-between is a blur of pain, sleep, and ice chips.
    The second surgery was a nightmare. I had a very bad reaction to one of the anesthetics and woke up screaming from hallucinations. A seriously bad trip! Since then it has still been a blur of various people coming in and out, most bearing some pills or with a test for something. I think I’m being well taken care of; no hospital is immune from incompetence although those have been very few. I see the doctor daily at god-awful 6 am. Doesn’t matter though, last night was probably the first time I slept for more than 10 minutes at a time The backs of my legs hurt something fierce. I also really had a lot of trouble with dry eyes/mouth, complicated with some of the meds I’m taking that have the same side effects.
    I don’t know yet if I’m any taller but I do know that when they stood me up today I felt like I was going to fall backward! I have been promised a look in the mirror tomorrow.
    Every day I get a little better. Seems like everyone has been put on alert that I’m going to rehab so hopefully that works. Still scheduled home some time next week.
    Sister Fran leaves tomorrow so I’ll be on my own for a few days and I won’t have computer access. If you want to send me an email, send it to my regular email; that way I can at least read it on my Blackberry.

Take care. Love you all. See you soon.
    Age 58
    Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
    original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
    fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Thanks for the update. Hope all continues to go well and sorry you had such a reaction to the anesthetic, hallucinations sound terrifying. 0_0
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Felicia,
      I'm sorry you had so much pain and complications with the anesthsia. It sounds like you're on track now. I'm sure rehab. will help you get where you need to be this early in your recovery. Please let us know your progress when you get home.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Nancy,
        Thanks for the update! I was wondering how Felecia was doing!

Felecia,
        Hang in there! I hope you continue to get a little better each day and that you will go to rehab and be well taken care of there. Thinking about you and sending energy and prayers your way.....

Kathy
        Kathy
        46 yrs at surgery, now 50
        71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
        8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
        http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Felicia-- sending lots of love and healing wishes to you. I'm so sorry about the pain and difficulties you've had. Hopefully everything from now on wlil be looking up... and the rehab will go well and you'll be back home again soon and thankful that this is behind you. May you have a quick recovery and quick relief from the pain. I don't have your email address... so hopefully you'll see this.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Felicia--
            So glad it's over and hope the most difficult days are over too. Hope all goes well from here on out & you have a steady recovery. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Here I am!

Many, many thanks to nancy for posting the update. I'm now in the Rehab Institute and I'm scheduled to go home this coming Monday.

All things considered I'm feeling pretty good. I spend a good part of the day with Occupational and Physical Therapy. When I'm not there I'm sleeping! This was not a time for my computer to get wonky, but it did. So getting updates out has been hit or miss. I hope everyone understands.

Thanks for the good thoughts and best wishes!
              FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
              10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
              8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
              5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
              2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
              3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Wonderful news!!! You have really been through the ringer, and how you deal with it all is truly inspiring, trulyaries. I am TOTALLY doing the happy dance!!!!
                Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Yay, Felicia!!! It's so good to hear from you! On with the healing! Take care of yourself, and don't forget to do as much pampering as possible... And also try to get others to help you as much as possible. Hugs, Susie
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Sleeping time is healing time as well, so never feel guilty about napping. I am glad you got to go to rehab. It will make your transition to home much easier. I'll look forward to hearing your progress.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

There's no place like home... there's no place like home. *click-click*

I posted a long reply here and it disappeared!!! I haven't the energy to type it all again. Just wanted you to know that I am home and all is well.

One of the side effects this time around is talking in my sleep,which I'm still doing now that I'm home. I never did it before, so I find it peculiar. Oh, my sister says I told her that Queen Elizabeth was coming to visit me in the hospital! At least I'm good for some laughs!!
                      FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                      2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                      3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Felicia--
                        So glad your home! That Queen does get around doesn't she. I know I said really weird stuff at the hospital when I was awake--my husband told me. Take it easy and have a smooth recovery. Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Welcome home Felicia! I bet it's great to be in your own bed again.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Glad to hear you are home and doing well. I did a lot of talking and tripping on the meds right after my surgery. I don't like being a druggie, but sometimes it is necessary. I hope you have a speedy recovery.
                            Sally
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. In a way, I'm actually glad I have some funny druggie stories to tell. Friends and family seem so grim and serious when I talk to them about the surgery. I'm happy I can lighten the mood by telling them some of the funnier stories.
                              FeliciaFeliciaFelicia

Comment

Working...
                              X