Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back pain when writing

Hi
    I had my surgery in january of this year and this week i have been having mock GCSe exams and i have found that my shoulder has been hurting when I write for long periods of time. This is not the first time this has happened to me but I thought it would improve in time but now it has been nearly 1 year since my op. I wondered if anyone else had this problem and if they did if they could help me to prevent this
    thanks alot
    love jules xxx
    15 with a 50 degree curve
    Had surgery now have 2 metal rods in my back

I find that when I sit at my computer, or sit and write for very long, I get pretty significant pain.

The cause of my pain is muscle spasams in my left shoulder. The muscle tightens up and becomes swollen. I can tell it's doing it because my shoulder will start to feel warm (internally... Not externally. It just feels like a slight burning sensation), and then I get a prickling feeling, and when I try to turn my head, I don't have much ability to turn it at all...

In my case, treatment involved 6 weeks of physical therapy to relax and then stretch the muscles, plus muscle relaxants (Flexeril, Valium)...

I had several good months after my first round of PT, but have to start on another set of treatments tonight...
    Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
    Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
    Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
    Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
    February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
    September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Hi Jules...

Shoulder and upper back pain seems to be very common after long spinal fusion, especially when it starts in the upper back. For about 2-3 years post-op, I found that whenever I did anything with my head tilted down, I'd get pain, mostly in my left shoulder blade.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

pain with writing

I found my trunk and shoulder blade felt tight as the scar tissue formed. I did have PT but after that my excellent therapist recommended myofascial release/muscle therapy to loosen the scarring. This was a great help together with Pilates. It is not covered by insurance and is rather uncomfortable having scar tissue released. It really helped though-especially the shoulder near the thoracoplasty. The therapist said massage wouldn't do it and Rolfing would be too painful.

Karen
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I was treated in physical therapy with myofascial release

Hurt like heck (particularly on the spasamed areas), but the results were just fantastic.
          Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
          Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
          Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
          Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
          February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
          September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

You need to remember as well, for anyone, even without having surgery. You are supposed to get up and or stretch every hour or so. I'm sure having the fusion only makes this worse in regards to getting stiff and uncomfortable.
            Keep wriggling and sit in the back or on the side if you are worried about disturbing people.
            Cheryl.

Comment

Hi
              thanks everyone for ur replies, they really helped me and I know that im not the only one who experiences this problem
              My shoulder wasn't too painful in the 3 exmas I had today bt ill see tomorrow, thanks for all your help
              love Jules xxxx
              15 with a 50 degree curve
              Had surgery now have 2 metal rods in my back

Comment

Working...
              X