Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To fuse (again) or not to fuse?

Hi there!
    In a couple of months, I am going to visit a surgeon in Ottawa for the second time in the last year because my doctors here can't find anything to help my pain. It seems to be getting worse every day and I take a whole lot of narcotics just to survive.
    If this surgeon (Dr. Garth Johnson) decides to accept me for surgery, he would probably be fusing me to the sacrum.
    I was hoping that a few of you that are fused that far could fill me in on some of the details of the surgery and life afterwards. I've heard from doctors that movement is going to be extremely difficult after and that the surgery is not necessarily going to make me pain free. I'd hate to go through this surgery only to continue to be in pain, but I can't imagine that it could get any worse than it is now.
    I would really appreciate any information or advice that you can give me so that I have a better idea of what I may be getting myself into.
    Thanks!

Kelli
    Fused from L3 to T11, Harrington rod inserted, Dec. 1992.
    Now 26 years old and have been having pain for almost 3 years in my lower back, right hip, and down my right leg.

Hi Kelli,
    Reading your post sounded all too familiar to me. For the last few years my pain in my lower back, hip and down my right leg grew increasingly worse. The last year I was lucky if I could prepare a meal or complete a load of laundry, making the bed was agonizing. Last June I got up in the middle of the night and fell to the ground unable to stand, my husband helped me back to bed and after several hours the inability to stand went away. My only relief was narcotics. One difference in your story and mine is that I'm 57. Finally getting a referrel to a spinal surgeon, he told me I was a candidate for instrumented spinal fusion, that my scoliosis and disc degeneration were SEVERE, not sure what the degree of the curve was. At that time I was totally unfamiliar with the procedure (a neurologist had been treating me for peripheral neuropathy). I went home that day and began hours of research, one of the results of which were this forum (which was invaluable to me). I made the decision to have the surgery done. I knew I had 2 choices ~ the first to remain in terrible pain which would probably only get worse ~ or take the chance, there were no iron clad guarantees, but I reasoned that I at least had a chance at a better life.
    My surgery was Nov.4, I was fused from T10 to my sacrum. Dr. says it was a huge success that he was able to accomplish a 80% correction, from what I understand at my age 40% would be considered average. I feel that my recovery is going very well, I'm doing better than any of us expected. Of course I still have many months of recovery ahead of me but at this point the pains in my feet and legs ares gone. My back and hip are still uncomfortable at times, but it's more of a soreness/aching sensation than the unbearable pain I had before. I'm able to control it for the most part with tylenol, for the first time in 2 years I have narcotic free days. I have my first x-rays and check up with my surgeon next Tuesday and will share what I am sure is going to be good news.
    Just a bio of my experience, hope it can shed some light on how you feel. Good Luck and God Speed,
    Gayle
    Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
    Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

Comment

Hi Gayle
      Thanks so much for responding to my post. I'm glad to hear that your surgery was so successful and that some of your pain is gone. Please keep me posted on what your doctor has to say next week. Take care!!

Kelli
      Now 26 years old and have been having pain for almost 3 years in my lower back, right hip, and down my right leg.

Comment

fusion

I am 62 and had an anterior/posterior revision 2 years ago. My fusion is now T-4 to sacrum. I am basically pain free. I did have some scar issues I addressed in another post. I am living a normal, productive life. I am working-I stand all day, and do not have pain even after this.
        In the beginning post op I felt really limited with healing issues. But they eased with time.
        I cannot curl into a ball but I bend from my hips. I shave my legs by propping them against the shower wall. I can even tie my shoes. Yes their are some movement limitations but in my case I am so grateful I could be helped. My pre-op curves were: 30 cervical, 80 thoracic-with breathing impairment, and 40 lumbar. Post op I am less than half of each curve. I got a wide view rear view mirror for my car which is a great help.

Karen
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

That's great to hear, Karen! Thanks for giving me some hope!

Kelli

Comment

Hi! I am new here, I am only 17 but I am fused T2-sacrum and ileum w/ both SI's fused. I find that I have very limited movement but I am used to it. For the surgery, I would say go for it; considering your options, it is the best one. I have been in your position so many times, and I have never regreted choosing a surgery. Oh, yeah, so far I have had six. I have been in extreme pain for about the last three years, and although I still have pain, it is not the same as it was before each surgery. Some pains miminc, but it is not exactly the same. The limitations of movement, I have adapted the way I sleep, eat, get dressed and everything inbetween; now it is just natural. Good Luck!

Comment

Wow, 6 surgeries by 17? I can't believe you still sound so positive! Good for you. I obviously need to stop feeling sorry for myself! Thanks so much for your input!

Kelli

Comment

Working...
              X