Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Months Post Op - Burning/Poking/Sore Sensations

Hi Everyone,

I'm 5 months post op and am doing really great. I have had one post-op appointment - all looks ok, and am going back in another 2 months.

I am experiencing very little pain and have started with VERY light exercises with arm/resistance bands and floor pilates. Very controlled exercises.

I'm not sure if it's my muscles "coming back" or nerves "waking up" (whatever we're calling these crazy functions!) but the top of my fusion feels sore, sort of a burning type sensation - just irritated in general. I just want to see how others feel around this time - is this all normal? Is there something maybe I'm doing wrong?

As always, any input is appreciated.

I have not called the doctor/nurse because I figured until it becomes PAINFUL and interferes with my life I am to assume it's part of the healing process. This is why I'm just looking for feedback instead of running to call the doctor.

Thank you!

not sure but suspect it's part of the process. I have parts of skin on my hips that feel like they burn. WTH is up with that?
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Yeah, I still have tingling sensations along my hips too. But this is a pain in the fusion area itself. I just get worried something isn't fusing right, or got dislocated, or something.. I suppose this fear is normal but when should I worry??

Comment

HI Jamie,

those sensations sound normal to me for 5 months. Once I started PT (even what seemed like easy movements) caused me pain afterwards. For me, I think it was the muscles getting used to these moves. Remember, those same muscles were cut through and are healing together again, so what would seem like an easy movement really does challenge us.

I'd call the Dr. just to check in though. It never hurts!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Jamie,

I'm at 7 months post-op and recently started aqua PT. Even though the movements are super easy for my legs and arms to accomplish, they are causing soreness for me in my back. For me, the soreness has been near my sacrum (my fusion expends to the sacrum). But, yesterday, the therapist added some resistance to my arm movements in the water and I did feel sore higher up in my fusion also.

It's hard to know whether to continue and to work through the soreness or whether to take a break from the PT. Do others have a perspective on that?
          Kathy
          46 yrs at surgery, now 50
          71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
          8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
          http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

KathK,

That's how I feel - not sure if I should just rest and take it easy, or start being more and more active. The pain isn't stopping me from doing anything, it is just annoying. I even feel pains in my rib cage when I breathe in - on and off. I've always had pains in my rib cage but not affected by my breathing until now.

Strange!

Comment

Jamie,

I had the same problem and my "burning/pinching" finely went away this month and I will be two years post op April 15......that's not to say that you will experience this sensation as long as I did but I think it's a pretty normal post op issue. It seems for me that my muscles are still having a tough time learning and accepting their new positon but everyone is so different in their recoveries. Sounds like overall your doing really well. Good luck and I hope that you continue to do so well :O)
              Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
              50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
              Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
              X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
              Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
              Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
              Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

me too

I am also right at 5 mos. postop and the more increased upper body exercises, the more I notice these sensations. I also am noticing more sensation to my upper back that was previously numb or at least more impaired than it is now. I cannot say that it is pain, I am like you and feeling more annoyance than anything. I remember my lower back feeling this way EARLY on at the end of my fusion, but never up high. I am also really stiff feeling again in my back where I wasn't having this. I just emailed the doc/Kelly this evening about this same thing. I too wondered if this means that I need to do more or less???? Glad to know I am not the only one.
                Heidi
                35 year old mother of 2 lil girls
                60 degree thoracic
                44 degree lumbar
                Oct. 11, 2010 surgery
                Dr. Lenke St. Louis
                1 year follow up: 15 degree thoracic, 22 lumbar
                fused T1 to L1

Comment

I hate to think that as I get further in my recovery that I will feel more discomfort than I do now. However, it makes sense that as the muscles and nerve endings wake up and the numbness leaves that you would feel more. I would also think that physical therapy would increase the pain more than just walking. I keep thinking that It will be so nice to be 4to6 months post op when I will be able to do more but I may have to rethink that!
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Yes, I am about 5 months out now and I feel stiff, sore, general discomfort. My doc said this is normal at about this time. You may have some depression, added pain, etc. just hang in there.
                    Chris, Austin, TX
                    80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
                    Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
                    C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
                    New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
                    Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

Yes, I am about 5 months out now and I feel stiff, sore, general discomfort. My doc said this is normal at about this time. You may have some depression, added pain, etc. just hang in there.
                      Chris, Austin, TX
                      80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
                      Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
                      C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
                      New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
                      Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

Thank you everyone, all of your replies really help. As I've said before, it helps to know I'm not alone and this is "normal" at least according to what so many others are feeling.

Comment

Working...
                        X