Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have issues with employer after returning from surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have issues with employer after returning from surgery?

I returned to work last week after being on medical leave for 5 months. As some of you know, I had a very successful surgery, so far so good, even though I did suffer complications while in the hospital. It's been a tough and stressful few months but I do feel pretty good.

My surgeon said I may be out from work for up to 6 months. I decided I was well enough to go back after 5 months and my doctor said I could but only for 20 hours a week to start.

Well, in a nutshell, my supervisor has been a complete jerk (for lack of a better word).
    She didn't even welcome me back on my first day. On day 2, she still didn't and did not even ask how I was feeling or ask any questions! AND SHE IS A NURSE! Ha, so much for compassion! Anyway, on my second day back she had the nerve to say to me that while I was out and she was doing my work, she discovered that she could do my job at about a third of the time it took me! So, she said, I will have to start filling out a log to track my time so she can justify my hours. THIS WAS ON MY SECOND DAY BACK AFTER BEING OUT 5 MONTHS.

Needless to say, I informed her that this request was stressing me out and boy did she retract what she said. She then gave me other reasons for why I have to track my time. Her behavior changed immediately because I think she realized that she could be in big trouble, since I am on limited duty and I used the buzzword "stressed."

So I'm just wondering whether anyone else was treated so poorly after returning from this surgery? Anyone have an HR background and can comment as to whether I have a claim for harassment? My guess is I don't, I just am lucky enough to have a heartless supervisor. I'm documenting everything as her communication to me is via email, which is good.

This whole journey has had its ups and downs...this is my biggest downer yet.
    Laurie
    Age 57
    Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
    Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
    Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
    Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
    Dr Munish Gupta
    UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Ashamed that she's a nurse

Sorry to hear about your supervisor. I haven't been in your situation, but it's something I wonder about. I am a nurse, and I worry about taking time off, and returning to find someone else doing my job, or being told they can do my job better.

I don't know what you do- or your background/ educ/ etc- but my answer to your supervisor would be #1- of course, she does your job faster: she's a NURSE, she has education and experience - she knows medical terminology better than you, etc. BUT the agency/ hospital/ office is not paying a nurse to do your job- they're paying YOU. If the company wanted to hire a nurse to do your job, they would do that- but no, they hired you and you are doing the job to the best of your ability. She cannot compare YOUR job performance to her performance while temporarily doing some of your essential job tasks.

it stinks. I'm sorry you have to experience this now. Yes, keep the emails, write memos and maybe discuss this with the supervisor over the nurse- so that others can listen to your point of view. Just stay calm, try to smile, and get back into the routine. Maybe others who have returned to work post-op can offer their advice. I hope it gets better. Hang in there~~ Jamie
    57 years old.
    thoracic curve 68 degrees
    lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
    Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
    Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
    THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

I just cringe when I hear about uncaring nasty bosses b/c I honestly have the best boss in the world and it makes a huge difference going into work each day to a smiling and friendly face. I know that I am very very lucky b/c I hear so much about snarly miserable bosses and it must be so hard for people to actually want to work. I know I've had some nasty bosses in the past and it didn't go well with me so I quit but not before they totally stressed me out.

That's terrible that your boss didn't even welcome you back after five months of recovering from such a major operation and then telling you that she could do your job better. How rude!

I'd keep all those emails and make notes of the things she says personally as well. What a hag!
      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Document everything and keep it in a folder with date, time, anyone who was around, etc. Feel free to find ways to email and say things like, "When you said you found that you were able to do my work at what seemed to be a quicker pace while covering a portion of my workload while I was out on disability, could you please provide more clarification on what you did differently? As you know I am always eager to improve my skills and value your guidance."

Then if you get laid off, you can use that to settle out of court and enjoy a nice vacation.
        Female, age 38
        4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
        currently 64*upper/40*lower
        Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
        now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

laurie omg i can't belivie that happen to you. i'm super sorry that happen. i whould highly reccomend doing something about this. because no one shouldn't be treated like that.
          Last edited by kennedy; 03-27-2011, 09:25 PM.
          Kara
          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
          T4-L2
          Before 50T
          After 20T

Comment

Thanks everyone for your support. It's been a rough few weeks back at work but a couple good friends in my office have helped me get through it. I'm still very, very angry at my supervisor and I don't know if I can shake it off. She's a very odd person anyway but I'm not excusing her lack of compassion on being odd. My manager saw our emails going back and forth and never said a word. No apology...nothing. The emotional toll from this surgery is one thing, but I never would have expected such a cold reception in my workplace.

What's great, however, is that I've discovered errors that she's made and I've documented every one of them. She works too fast and is careless. So right, she did my job in less time but not efficient in the long run. And anyway, I'm hoping karma will take care of her!
            Laurie
            Age 57
            Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
            Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
            Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
            Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
            Dr Munish Gupta
            UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Working...
            X