Post op - Leaving the House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post op - Leaving the House

We have an invite to a very casual get together approx. 20 days post-op. It's a chance to see some people who my husband and I know pretty well but we have not seen in a few years because they have moved to other parts of the country.

Was anyone ready for a get together almost 3 weeks post-op???

Thanks!

Hi Heidi...

Most adults can't handle too much time being up and around that soon after surgery. Perhaps you could inquire if it would be possible to lay down on one of your host's beds if you need to. Don't forget that you'll need to be up and around to get ready and traveling. If you can stand the potential pain, getting out and socializing will probably do a lot of goods in terms of feeling better.

If you're still on pain medication, be sure that you don't drink alcohol..

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi, heidi...my family took me out to a restaurant for lunch and then to the grocery for a little shopping 11 days after my surgery. the restaurant was about a 20 minute drive from the hospital (i was still in rehab). the car ride was a little difficult, i didn't look too pretty, and i was exhausted the next day, but i thoroughly enjoyed myself for a couple of hours. i hope you'll be able to do the same!
      Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
      T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
      Fused T3 - S1
      Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
      Dr. Robert G. Viere
      North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

Hi Heidi,
        At 3 weeks post op I had been on a few short outings, but was able to go out for a visit for coffee and cake with some friends and family. I was out for about an hour and a half and the drive was 10 minutes from home. I faired very well and although it was somewhat tiring, the outing did wonders for my spirits. I don't mean this to be for everyone, we all recover at our own pace but hope it gives you a general idea of how some of us made out. Good luck and if you go I hope you have a wonderful visit.
        Gayle
        Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
        Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

Comment

Thank you all for your posts so far. They are very encouraging!

This will be a very casual get-together and I will be able to sit/lie down on a nice chaise chair while visiting. I am such a people person, so I can imagine that it would be good for me to get out of the house and visit with some friends for a bit.

I know that we all are different in how quickly/slowly we recover but this just gives me a little better perspective on what to look forward to during my own recovery.

Thanks again!

Comment

2 weeks post-op I attended a small gathering of friends in honor of my dearest friends and their new baby. I informed them in advance that I would not stay long. I was at the gathering for less than 45 minutes. And I took a 2-hour nap when I got home. The cab ride was the worst part (not surprising at all, since in my experience sitting was the least comfortable post-op position. Lying down or standing/walking were much better for me). Know your limits and don't push yourself too hard.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

My first outing was Christmas at my grandparent's house, 10 days post op. Wasn't up to a whole lot, but I made it through dinner, gift exchange, and stopped off at a friend's house for a short while afterwards. Tuckered me out pretty good, but it was doable.

My first "real" outing was a party 3 weeks post op... Hung out for roughly 5 hours with friends, eating pizza, listening to music, etc...

Worst thing for me to deal with was the car rides... And finding comfy seating- I kept a pillow with me everwhere I went for about the first month, just because pressure on my back made me feel a little nauseous (It just felt "wrong" and so creeped me out, I believe)

Getting out and about was really good for me- kept me from feeling to isolated and depressed... And friends/family were understanding if I was feeling tired or sore and had to go home early....
              Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
              Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
              Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
              Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
              February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
              September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Blair's post reminded me of something really important. Be sure your friends have a chair that's not too deep. You'll have a difficult time getting up from a coach or a too deep chair.

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Oh yeah! Perfect chairs are few and far between...

I actually had my mother haul in some patio furniture from my grandparents house... It was the only thing that really felt *right* to me.

For the first little while, I really wanted a chair with a high back too, so I could just rest my head against the back....
                  Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
                  Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
                  Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
                  Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
                  February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
                  September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

I know what you mean about the deep, cushy couches/chairs. We have an amazingly comfortable couch at our house that I call the "comfy couch".

All of our friends and family love it, but my back does not. I pulled a back muscle 4 years ago and ever since, I can't sit on the couch for more than a couple of minutes without feeling like something is out of place when I stand up. I've even had to go so far as to slide off of it and lay on the floor when I wasn't able to stand up after sitting on it.

Luckily we do have another couch that is much firmer and perfect for my back!

Thanks for the tips and encouragement!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X