Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need to remember that I'm not SuperWoman, the Bionic Woman or Wonder Woman....sigh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to remember that I'm not SuperWoman, the Bionic Woman or Wonder Woman....sigh

I'm over 2 years post op. I've been feeling absolutely wonderful for at least the last 9 months. I started exercising over a year ago, and initially had lots of muscle spasms, but after my back got used to the activity, I didn't have one bit of pain.

Well,....stupid me, feeling so good got carried away and went to zumba classes for almost 3 weeks straight--every day. Yes I am an adict, but also such a dope. I don't think it's really the every day that got me, but one of the instructors was using light weights (only 1.5 lbs) in a different way than I'd been used to and WHAM!!! Muscle spasms floored me for a few days, taking muscle relaxants in the first time in a year. ARGH. I'll live, and I feel it getting slowly better, but What Kind of Fool am I??? Isn't that a song? LOL

So back to my opening statement, I need to remember, even when I'm feeling fantastic, that I am NOT Super, Woman, Wonder Woman or even the Bionic woman with all this crap in my spine!

Someone needs to smack me in the head if I do this again!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

I am sorry that you're hurting. . .but WOW!!! 3 weeks of nearly-everyday-zumba!!!! I am blown over that anyone could do this, let alone a woman w/a fused spine. You must be in amazing shape! My sister-in-law, who has exercised regularly and has a perfectly normal spine, started having some lower back spasming shortly after she added a zumba class to her exercise schedule. She decided to quit the class.

It's still early for me to do anything other than walking, but it never hurts to plan ahead. What exercise did you do once you were ready to add to walking? About how long after your surgery?

Feel better.
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

hey Deb
      surprised ..and sorry ...to see you on here with pain...
      having met Dr Neuwirth once, i think i know what he'd tell you...
      he seemed like a no nonsense kinda guy!

i hardly think zumba is worth it...no matter how much fun it looks like...or is...
      not compared to the joy of a fused back that doesn't cause pain!

i think your spine is telling you something...better listen!
      like...who exercises EVERY day, fusion or no fusion...?!!
      every body needs rest!!!
      and Wonder Woman wants her job back!

feel better soon!

jess
      Last edited by jrnyc; 03-03-2011, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Hi Debbe, we live and learn! That was a LOT of zumba.

Do you remember me asking you what zumba was, about 18 months ago? Well, there's a zumba class on every corner here now, it's crazy popular. I haven't tried it yet, don't know when I'd find the time, but it looks like great fun. I bet you really feel alive!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Debbe, we live and learn! That was a LOT of zumba.

Do you remember me asking you what zumba was, about 18 months ago? Well, there's a zumba class on every corner here now, it's very popular. I haven't tried it yet, don't know when I'd find the time, but it looks like great fun. I bet you really feel alive!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Initially I just walked, but I bored myself to death with that, LOL, and then the weather turned and I couldn't walk outside. My treadmill was even more boring, so my neighbor mentioned this zumba class. That was a little over one year post op. I started off slow, 2 or 3 days per week. I'm fused T3 to L3, so of course I can't do all the wiggling that they do, and I didn't do any jumping or bouncing. So I modified the movements to what felt good for me. Over time, I increased to minimum 5 days per week.

Jess-
            You might be surprised that I believe that this class actually HELPED me overcome my horrible muscle spasms that I had before I started. Once I started last year, I had horrible spasms for the first 2 weeks, but I pushed through it. Once my back got used to it, I've been fine, until now. Since then, I've increased what I can do comfortably, and some of my friends there say they'd never know that I was fused. Remember, there are lots of people in these classes who don't move much either, so I guess I don't stand out.

I think what did it this time is new moves that a different instructor had been doing. I don't think it was something that I shouldn't be doing--I just think it was different. The back has to get used to it. I took a few days off, and went again last night. It felt much better after I finished than before I started.

So, yes I do think it's worth it. I have to be smart about how I do things, but I have to keep my back moving or I'll tighten up anyway.

I'll make sure to limit myself to 5 days per week from now on.

Thanks so much for the responses,

Comment

I seem to be back to my normal today, which I am thrilled with. But I think I did learn a lesson, I will not over-do, no matter how good I feel!

Comment

Debbie,

I'm so glad to hear that your doing so well! I remember your posts around the same time I was getting ready for my surgery. I have not moved along as smoothly as I had planned but I'm getting there. Slow and steady wins the race! I also have to remind myself that I am not super woman. I use to be able to go through my entire house in two hours, from top to bottom, 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and get it all done. I'm not even close to that now. Throw in boys and school, boys and hockey, one toddler who is zero to one hundred everyday and there are times when I think I just can't keep up but I pull it out. Thank God for the boys, I'm not sure I would push myself as hard without them and my oldest son is an amazing help. It's definitely in my nature to do and be the best at what I do. That's been the hardest adjustment for me throughout these past 2 years. I get it done, I jus do it differently now. Life is good if not a little painful.
                Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Hi Debbei,
                  Muscles need to rest, so exercise every other day and do something else on the off days. You take care of yourself now!
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

exactly what i was trying to say...
                    every other day is usually what is recommended by trainers..

how is Carolina, Sal?

jess

Comment

Hi Debbei!

I am just approaching 1 year post op (3/31) and I have to remind myself I am not superwoman, too. I started back to yoga...and not just regular yoga, but power, vinyasa yoga. Tons of repetitive up dogs, down dogs, and basically push ups. Phew...I can't believe I am doing it! I'm fused same as you T3-L3. I can't do some of the major twisting (duh!) or back bends (haha!!! no kidding!) BUT I do hang in there for the entire hour and tough it out. I must say...it HELPS my back! It keeps it loose and makes it feel better. I really can't believe I'm doing it....but, I firmly believe use it or lose it! I don't go every day though! But I do go every other day. YEA for us! Hang in there!!! I can't wait until I am over my 1 year mark! Was there more improvement after 1 year? I do have burning still, but no pain.
                      Laura
                      62 degrees
                      49 yrs. young
                      Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                        exactly what i was trying to say...
                        every other day is usually what is recommended by trainers..

how is Carolina, Sal?

jess
                        I love the weather. We are finally getting settled in our new house which is definitely the wrong kind of exercise unpacking all those boxes. Ugg. It has been warm enough to ride my bicycle even in January some days. I miss rollerskating, but am enjoying a line dancing class one day/week. I don't miss all that snow in New England.
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                        X